• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ben Howland

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Yeah, with the last two good recruiting classes, I'd prefer to have a guy with immediate rep so the kids will automatically respect & follow him. If we can't get that, we need a strong, proven riser. We may not be able to keep them, but if we can at least put some butts in the seats & get some W's along the way, it's a move in the right direction.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Yeah, with the last two good recruiting classes, I'd prefer to have a guy with immediate rep so the kids will automatically respect & follow him. If we can't get that, we need a strong, proven riser. We may not be able to keep them, but if we can at least put some butts in the seats & get some W's along the way, it's a move in the right direction.

I think you need to reverse that. If you're not getting a "name", it's going to take a couple of years of sustained winning to significantly improve the butts in seats situation.

I think you need to reverse that. If you're not getting a "name", it's going to take a couple of years of sustained winning to significantly improve the butts in seats situation.

What the crap kind of English was that from me? Sorry, meant to put the "If we can't get that..." sentence last. Was trying to say let's get the bigger name to get players' respect, draw out fans, & hopefully improve the W % while he's here, and cross the "he's moving on" bridge after we're in better shape.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  329
  • Days Won:  0

I am not a fan of Ben Howland at all and there is NO WAY USF should hire him.

1) He is not known as a good recruiter. The new Basketball coach needs to able to recruit the state of Florida and Howland is not from this state nor is this a strong point of his.

2) he is a micro manager who basically lost control of the team at UCLA.

There was a 2012 article in Sports Illustrated which was very alarming. I tried to post the link to it but was unable to do so.

Stay far away from this guy!

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

If he was a good recruiter, good coach, and good leader, we wouldn't have a chance. Everyone we go after is going to be either lacking or unproven in some aspect.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Seems like Howland has improved every year on a job. So either he is a **** good recruiter or a hell of a coach.

I will take either one.

Chances are slim for him anyway, he's a life west-coaster. But with his track record, I don't see how he's a bad choice.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45

Howland is "not known as a good recruiter?" His last recruiting class at UCLA was ranked No. 1 in the nation. And everyone needs to look beyond his UCLA tenure - which was pretty darned good with three Final Fours. I can't believe anyone wants to gloss that over. I don't care what school you're at - UCLA, Duke, whatever - there is more parity in college basketball than ever before and anyone going to three consecutive Final Fours is pretty darned amazing. He took over a Pitt program in 1999-2000 that had been to one NIT in the five previous seasons. In his four seasons at Pitt, they won two regular-season Big East titles, one Big East Tournament and went to two Sweet Sixteens. He was the national coach of the year in 2001-2002. To me, if Howland wants the job, it should be his. If he doesn't get it because Harlan fired him at UCLA (I don't know this), then I think we made the wrong hire for A.D. I'll take a hoops coach with 400 career wins over a first-time A.D. Unless there's personality and off-court baggage to contend with that we don't know about, you simply can't argue with Howland's long-term, sustained success. Maybe he wasn't the right guy for UCLA, but USF isn't UCLA and Ben Howland would be an amazing hire for this school.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  329

Unfortunately, with Ben Howland, there does appear to be personality and off court baggage that USF should stay away from.

I would recommend you read the Sports Illustrated article dated February 2012 titled "Not the UCLA Way" which is rather alarming.

To correct your reply above, Ben Howland was a very POOR recruiter for several years at UCLA until he hired a successful AAU Coach in 2012 which led to a high recruiting ranking in his final season.  The several prior seasons were very POOR recruiting wise.

Stay away from Ben Howland!!!!!!!!

Now, I would recommend Buzz Williams or as a fall back John Pelphrey !

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Unfortunately, with Ben Howland, there does appear to be personality and off court baggage that USF should stay away from.

I would recommend you read the Sports Illustrated article dated February 2012 titled "Not the UCLA Way" which is rather alarming.

To correct your reply above, Ben Howland was a very POOR recruiter for several years at UCLA until he hired a successful AAU Coach in 2012 which led to a high recruiting ranking in his final season.  The several prior seasons were very POOR recruiting wise.

Stay away from Ben Howland!!!!!!!!

Now, I would recommend Buzz Williams or as a fall back John Pelphrey !

Here's the link. Not sure why it wouldn't work for you (caveat, I haven't read the articel yet, just posting the link)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/