• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ben Howland

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

Is only 56 years old and receiving $3.5 million from UCLA. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,450
  • Days Won:  13

I wonder if anything paid by USF would offset his payout at UCLA? If so maybe we could get him cheap the first couple of years.

Let’s now narrow the focus to UCLA’s costs if they were to terminate Ben Howland without cause.

Components of the $3.2 million are:

(1) Base pay for the remainder of the contract – $1.2 million ($300,000 per year X 4 years                          remaining on contract); and

(2) Guaranteed fee for one year – $2.0 million.

The guaranteed fee is effectively what is commonly called supplemental compensation. UCLA is on the hook for the remainder of the fee in the year that a termination is made plus one additional year. The $3.2 million assumes a scenario under which a termination would occur just before April 2, 2013.

Contract years begin on April 3 and therefore April 2 becomes an important date. If UCLA fired Howland on or before April 2, 2013, component (2) would be approximately $2.0 million. If they terminated his employment on April 3, 2013, component (2) would be $4.0 million.

Unlike many coaching contracts, the school would not immediately pay out the $3.2 million. Rather, UCLA would continue to pay certain amounts in equal monthly installments, similar to as how they would pay the amounts if Howland were still employed.

A key provision is that if Howland found other employment, the payments from UCLA would be reduced by his income from the other source(s). The contract wording could be firmed up and might be open for legal challenge, but the intent is that in year one after termination Howland would receive $2.3 million and in years two through four he’d receive $300,000 per year.

That said, if Howland were fired in the next week and a half you might expect him to take a year off from working in basketball (includes not only coaching, but promotional/endorsement work, consulting, etc.). If he went to another school to coach next month, his new income will reduce what he’d be receiving from UCLA. (i.e., if the new school pays him $1.8 million, UCLA’s cost in year one would be only $500,000 and in future years – assuming he’s still employed – $0.)

In summary, Ben Howland is under contract through the 2016-17 season and his current buyout would be $3.2 million. However, that amount could be reduced by as much as 100%.

NOTE: Certain financial information and legal interpretations above provided by the consulting firm Pleasant Avenue Athletics.

http://latenighthoops.com/ucla-buyout/#.UyW5Bo7n-2d

UCLA's decision on Ben Howland might be about dollars, not sense

March 24, 2013|By Chris Foster

There are basketball issues that UCLA officials feel must be addressed, but economics will play a large part in the expected firing of Bruins Coach Ben Howland.

For starters, UCLA officials will have to act quickly or it will cost them an additional $2 million in Howland’s buyout.

pixel.gif

Howland’s contract runs through 2017 after he received extensions in 2009 and 2010. He would receive a $3.2-million buyout if terminated by April 2 and a $5.2 million if terminated after that date.

Pauley Pavilion was renovated at the cost of $138 million, and Athletic Director Dan Guerrero and Associate Athletic Director Mark Harlan need the arena to make money. One theory is that a new coach might reinvigorate the fan base, which has been on the decline.

There were only five crowds of more than 10,000 this season. But the number of seats at Pauley Pavilion seems less a basketball issue, considering the Bruins won the Pac-12 Conference regular-season championship playing an entertaining, up-tempo style.

UCLA charges a donation to the Wooden Athletic Fund for new season ticket holders, or those wishing to add seats or upgrade seats, on top of the price of the tickets.

Donations per ticket run from $100 for upper-level seats to $17,000 to sit courtside.

In an email, a season ticket holder of 25 years said he received a renewal letter for his current seats that read in part, "if your season tickets are located in a priority seating/parking area, you will need to renew your Wooden Athletic Fund tax deductible donation by 6/30.”

Harlan, who oversees donor development and marketing, said Sunday that long-time season ticket holders were not exempt from a Wooden Athletic Fund donation if their tickets were in a priority-seating area.

Season ticket holders have also complained about game times, saying that driving to the Westside for 6 p.m. weekday games or late-night weekend games are difficult. Game times are set by television.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/24/news/la-so-ben-howland-pauley-pavilion-20130324

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

If bulliever's posted article is true, imagine a talented guy like Howland would let Harlan be his boss again.

I can't see Howland as our coach.

A duke alumnus like capel, Snyder or Dawkins would get us buzz.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,334
  • Days Won:  43

If bulliever's posted article is true, imagine a talented guy like Howland would let Harlan be his boss again.

Stop smokin that Carolina weed. USF will not take that chance on an up and coming unproven assistant. Go watch so more Tobacco Road hoops and stop wasting our time!

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

unlikely howland would come unless ad and him got along at ucla

usf needs a big name coach

most dont know those 3 from duke

unlikely howland would come unless ad and him got along at ucla

usf needs a big name coach

most dont know those 3 from duke

Now you got it!!! USF needs to stop FN around and hire a well known winning coach. 

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Stop smokin that Carolina weed. USF will not take that chance on an up and coming unproven assistant. Go watch so more Tobacco Road hoops and stop wasting our time!

uhhh

each of those three has been a HC of a P5 program. Capel and Snyder have taken teams to the ncaa tournament.

if I was holding Carolina weed, I'd def not share with you for fear it'd kill my buzz.

uhhh

each of those three has been a HC of a P5 program. Capel and Snyder have taken teams to the ncaa tournament.

if I was holding Carolina weed, I'd def not share with you for fear it'd kill my buzz.

Lol. Now that was funny. But seriously, I will always have respect for Coach K's assistants. Hell, I wished USF was able to hire a Coach K assistant on the past two hoops hires. However, times are different at USF right now. USF is perceived as a big loser and we deserve that label right now. We earned it. If USF wants to change peoples perception they will need to hire a well named proven coach that will show people USF means business.