• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  936
  • Days Won:  1

Al Golden's first 3 years at Temple were 1-11, 4-8 and 5-7. Took him to year 5 to get to 9-3.

He didn't turn things around instantly.

That was Temple.  Complain about Holtz recruiting all you want, but even if the recruits are not as good as they were rated, we at worst have mediocre talent.  And we are playing much worse on offense.

Shoot, look no further than the defense.  Looked like the worst unit in football last year.  This year it looks above average.  The coaches are coaching better on the defensive side of the ball.

That's because cwt doesn't coach that side of the ball.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I wanted Mike Shula back then. . . . . I thought he got a raw deal at Bama in light of probation and the fact many of his recruits won an NC under Saban.  Plus I thought he'd come cheap.  Lately, it looks like Shula may be in line for a pro HC job based on his performance revitalizing the Carolina Panther offense this year.  The local media fears he'll get poached from the Panther staff.

I admit I thought Holtz was a great hire when it happened.

It is way premature to write Taggart off.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

Whatever happens, it cant happen fast enough.

There are windows of opportuntiy in athletics. Arguably the most important one is about closed

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I'll be honest with y'all. I know he doesn't have the personnel, and he gets leeway for that. But I am becoming concerned with continued lack of discipline and failure to progress individually amongst the players. I did not expect to win many games this year, but did hope for improvement in player development (the true mark of coaching) and I'm not seeing it as much as I had hoped. It is there to an extent, but there are too many cerebral errors and deficiencies of effort to see at this point in the year. CWT did not need wins to impress me, but in light of the losses, I have yet to be impressed with the external markers of coaching impact.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I'll be honest with y'all. I know he doesn't have the personnel, and he gets leeway for that. But I am becoming concerned with continued lack of discipline and failure to progress individually amongst the players. I did not expect to win many games this year, but did hope for improvement in player development (the true mark of coaching) and I'm not seeing it as much as I had hoped. It is there to an extent, but there are too many cerebral errors and deficiencies of effort to see at this point in the year. CWT did not need wins to impress me, but in light of the losses, I have yet to be impressed with the external markers of coaching impact.

Well put.

My feelings toward Taggart have really changed quite a bit these last two weeks.

I could even give a pass with some penalties or mistakes because of aggressiveness. However, we are continuing to see the same mental lapses (false starts, etc) week in week out.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I don't understand this "he had 16 days to prepare!" argument. If having more time always meant the team performed better, then every season opening game every year would be a masterpiece of amazing execution, and every team would gradually get worse during the season. That of course makes no sense.

You could have given the team 16 weeks instead of 16 days and it wouldn't have suddenly made the team not suck.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I don't understand this "he had 16 days to prepare!" argument. If having more time always meant the team performed better, then every season opening game every year would be a masterpiece of amazing execution, and every team would gradually get worse during the season. That of course makes no sense. You could have given the team 16 weeks instead of 16 days and it wouldn't have suddenly made the team not suck.
That makes no sense because games in November are after the team was together for months vs week 1. 16 days mean you have double the time the other team does to prepare for that specific game via film study of the other team. It's more time to learn, formulate and practice a game plan.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Disciplining players requires the coach to have a backup to play in that spot or let consequences be damned. When Q Eatmon jumps offsides, again, or gets pushed back into the pocket, again, the staff should bench him. And put in who? There are few backup options at most positions. CWT has shown he's willing to go to the backups and freshmen if they can perform. That's why we're on our 4th quarterback, used Tice, Threatt and 7 freshmen on defense. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of depth on the offense to get other guys in.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

How would the results be different with a backup who wasn't capable?