• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Terrible Student Section

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,748
  • Days Won:  3

I was, I hate to say it, a Florida Gator football fan until USF got football.  Then i dropped them right away and now, can't stand them.

When we first moved here, all of my wife's friends were - and still are - huge gator fans. I went out and bought every piece of FSU merchandise I could find. Once USF started playing, the 'nole garb was archived. I fully understand BuckeyeBull's position. Tampa is laden with transplants who do not easily give up their allegiances just for the sake of 'it's the home team'. Just go to any Rays game (or, if you want, talk to MLB), as an example. I archived the 'nole garb...but I still have it. And when they're playing, I'm probably watching (assuming no conflicts with USF). Being a fan is a very complex thing. And it's not necessarily as cut and dry as "you're either with us, or against us".

I like the term 'spectator'...I think that's pretty accurate.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

slightly over 300 FREE student tickets distributed...out of a 47,000 student campus = approximtely .6% of the student body attended. Good crowd indeed!

That is an absolute joke and why we (deservedly) have the commuter school label.  

I think I can count all 300 of them here.  

med_gallery_4602_2_96591.jpg

Edited by Bulls Are We
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

slightly over 300 FREE student tickets distributed...out of a 47,000 student campus = approximtely .6% of the student body attended. Good crowd indeed!

That is an absolute joke and why we (deservedly) have the commuter school label.  

I think I can count all 300 of them here.  

med_gallery_4602_2_96591.jpg

My son and his friends are to the right of the right goal post about mid-way up in that section.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

As someone who graduated in May and missed one game in my 4 years (for reasons out of my control) and traveled to a few, that student section pisses me off. If I was still down there I'd be in that stadium every dang weekend.

Edited by SattyBull

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

How many other teams who haven't won a game in a year have full student sections?  We can gripe all we want about attendance but it wont matter... make the game entertaining and put a decent product on the field and folks show up.  If anything we should be thanking all the students who aren't there, after all unlike alums they are actually forced to pay for their tickets whether they use them or not.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I have seen the student section that empty before (even more empty, actually) - also during a pretty horrific stretch. It sucks that we have a ton of fair weather fans but that's the reality. As time goes on we will establish more diehards. For now, win and they will come.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

Coach T should've "Called Out" the Students.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

Coach T should've "Called Out" the Students.

Eh, if anything that would have just made us upset and given us reason not to go if they lose more games.  In The Oracle today it states he "understands the fan's frustration and his team is working toward earning back the fan base.  He just asks that when the team gets it going, everybody come back." (Its on the back page under "Win") Now THAT is a grown man's humble response to a loss of support this season.  Makes me feel like he cares about us as fans, makes me feel bad for not going this week.  He's an honest man who earns what he gets and that includes respect.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

Some want to wait for team to win to cheer them on ...

I'll wait for the students to arrive & cheer before I ...

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Years ago I had season tickets in section 103.  USF decided that they wanted to expand the Student section to the current size of 12, 501 so we would have the largest student section in the BE.  I Was relocated against my will to accommodate the influx of students that never happened. I didn't like it but nothing I could do, but to deal with it.  Since than I upped my donor level and relocated again.

Im sure We were not the only one's forced to move to accommodate a particular portion of the fan base.    We keep showing up week after week, year after year and watch the student section more so than the other sections NOT Show up.   USF needs to take the corners back,  put the band in the Endzone with the students as well and make it smaller. Use the Upper deck for overflow for students.  More demand and less seats might change the culture esp when we start winning again(which we will be sooner than later). Those who support the team thru thick and thin, during the losing times will get priority points and wont be shut out when its Cool to be at USF games again. Those who only cheer for a winning team will be shut out or forced to pay for a ticket if they want to attend and all their friends are there.

BB is another story Another Huge section of the dome allocated to  the students and only a handful show( cpl of rows for some games).  These are your classmates,  friends ect.... Yet the students cant be bothered to show up. For Football its only 5-7 games a year at most. BB its 10 or so games a year.

Pathetic.

Edited by Dhambuc