• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Terrible Student Section

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

Its a young program.  We don't have the history of Alabama, Ohio State, or Texas to draw the crowds.  USF football was the fastest team in history to reach the Top 10 in the national rankings system and people expect wins.  Now we get sluggish losses and it hits hard on a new fan base. 
We students come from all over, we have allegiances to other schools from where we were raised.  I'm not from Tampa or even Florida for that matter.  I went to every game last year despite the last-minute losses and heart-shattering defeats.  I went to the first 3 games this year hoping to see a different team emerge.  It wasn't happening.  So I took a week off, decided to save on parking money and study instead.  USF ended up winning an ugly game.  Part of me wishes I had been there, but overall I don't quite know what to think about future games.  Louisville?  Heck yeah I'll be there, if only to see a top-ranked team play.  But games against such weaklings as Memphis or SMU?  I may sit those out.  It all depends on performance these next few weeks. 
Call it being a bandwagon fan if you will, but I can only take seeing this college getting spanked so many times before I give up cheering until they show progress.  USF lacks the things to keep people coming back no matter what: History and Tradition.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  147

Its a young program.  We don't have the history of Alabama, Ohio State, or Texas to draw the crowds.  USF football was the fastest team in history to reach the Top 10 in the national rankings system and people expect wins.  Now we get sluggish losses and it hits hard on a new fan base. 

We students come from all over, we have allegiances to other schools from where we were raised.  I'm not from Tampa or even Florida for that matter.  I went to every game last year despite the last-minute losses and heart-shattering defeats.  I went to the first 3 games this year hoping to see a different team emerge.  It wasn't happening.  So I took a week off, decided to save on parking money and study instead.  USF ended up winning an ugly game.  Part of me wishes I had been there, but overall I don't quite know what to think about future games.  Louisville?  Heck yeah I'll be there, if only to see a top-ranked team play.  But games against such weaklings as Memphis or SMU?  I may sit those out.  It all depends on performance these next few weeks. 

Call it being a bandwagon fan if you will, but I can only take seeing this college getting spanked so many times before I give up cheering until they show progress.  USF lacks the things to keep people coming back no matter what: History and Tradition.

how different a perspective this guy has to those of us who worked hard and begged to get a team at USF in the late eighties and early 90s

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Its a young program. We don't have the history of Alabama, Ohio State, or Texas to draw the crowds. USF football was the fastest team in history to reach the Top 10 in the national rankings system and people expect wins. Now we get sluggish losses and it hits hard on a new fan base.

We students come from all over, we have allegiances to other schools from where we were raised. I'm not from Tampa or even Florida for that matter. I went to every game last year despite the last-minute losses and heart-shattering defeats. I went to the first 3 games this year hoping to see a different team emerge. It wasn't happening. So I took a week off, decided to save on parking money and study instead. USF ended up winning an ugly game. Part of me wishes I had been there, but overall I don't quite know what to think about future games. Louisville? Heck yeah I'll be there, if only to see a top-ranked team play. But games against such weaklings as Memphis or SMU? I may sit those out. It all depends on performance these next few weeks.

Call it being a bandwagon fan if you will, but I can only take seeing this college getting spanked so many times before I give up cheering until they show progress. USF lacks the things to keep people coming back no matter what: History and Tradition.

how do you expect to build tradition and history if you and others don't show up when the team is struggling and trying to rebuild? Nothing but fairweather.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

how different a perspective this guy has to those of us who worked hard and begged to get a team at USF in the late eighties and early 90s

There are many of us that are grateful we have a football team.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

A very honest post, so I respect you for that.  But I would not call you a fan, I would call you a spectator.  This is not meant to degrade you in any way, but I grew up all around the world, I have been to 4 different schools, but I made USF "MY" school.  I would not expect you to have the passion many of us do here as you have yet to claim USF as "YOUR" school.  To each their own, but a fan, that has to be up to you when you take ownership that this is "YOUR" school

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

Its a young program. We don't have the history of Alabama, Ohio State, or Texas to draw the crowds. USF football was the fastest team in history to reach the Top 10 in the national rankings system and people expect wins. Now we get sluggish losses and it hits hard on a new fan base.

We students come from all over, we have allegiances to other schools from where we were raised. I'm not from Tampa or even Florida for that matter. I went to every game last year despite the last-minute losses and heart-shattering defeats. I went to the first 3 games this year hoping to see a different team emerge. It wasn't happening. So I took a week off, decided to save on parking money and study instead. USF ended up winning an ugly game. Part of me wishes I had been there, but overall I don't quite know what to think about future games. Louisville? Heck yeah I'll be there, if only to see a top-ranked team play. But games against such weaklings as Memphis or SMU? I may sit those out. It all depends on performance these next few weeks.

Call it being a bandwagon fan if you will, but I can only take seeing this college getting spanked so many times before I give up cheering until they show progress. USF lacks the things to keep people coming back no matter what: History and Tradition.

how do you expect to build tradition and history if you and others don't show up when the team is struggling and trying to rebuild? Nothing but fairweather.

Truth be told I wasn't a huge USF sports guy when I got here, I've been trying my best to get into it the last 2 years of school.  It gets hard when the college you attend, but not necessarily the one you rooted for  your whole life, is getting smashed.  I also find it hard to really get into a game where we get smashed and we don't have many crowd cheers or crowd traditions that are unique to USF to get me going when we are down.  So I made the choice to study and focus on academics this weekend rather than attend a game I had every right to believe we would lose.  I was wrong about us losing, but I got some quality study hours in.  Its up to the team to build the history, what little they have is impressive but unfortunately in a world where conference and national titles are key to a larger local fan base, we are severely lacking in that category.  It doesn't help that most kids here grew up rooting for Miami, FSU, and UF so their inter-state allegiances are skewed.  Fairweather maybe.  I can see how you could come to that conclusion.  I wish I could get behind the team more and have fun doing it, but this week I chose to watch us play from home and focus on school-work rather than potentially suffer another letdown.  I'll be there for the 'Ville game, after that I'll make determination on a week to week basis. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Unfortunately, there are a lot more BuckeyeBulls out there as part of our fanbase. We have fickle, fickle fans. Win, and they'll be out there. I had fun along with the 15K+ fans at Ray Jay this past Satruday. I love watching my USF Bulls!

Edited by Paisa el Toro
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Tampa is full of fickle fans....horrible sports city unless a team is in first place.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Truth be told I wasn't a huge USF sports guy when I got here, I've been trying my best to get into it the last 2 years of school.  It gets hard when the college you attend, but not necessarily the one you rooted for  your whole life, is getting smashed.  I also find it hard to really get into a game where we get smashed and we don't have many crowd cheers or crowd traditions that are unique to USF to get me going when we are down.  So I made the choice to study and focus on academics this weekend rather than attend a game I had every right to believe we would lose.  I was wrong about us losing, but I got some quality study hours in.  Its up to the team to build the history, what little they have is impressive but unfortunately in a world where conference and national titles are key to a larger local fan base, we are severely lacking in that category.  It doesn't help that most kids here grew up rooting for Miami, FSU, and UF so their inter-state allegiances are skewed.  Fairweather maybe.  I can see how you could come to that conclusion.  I wish I could get behind the team more and have fun doing it, but this week I chose to watch us play from home and focus on school-work rather than potentially suffer another letdown.  I'll be there for the 'Ville game, after that I'll make determination on a week to week basis. 

I can't fault you if you chose to study over going to the game, as a student myself i should study more than I do. I too rooted for another team my entire life in Florida State. I'm also an Ohio State fan. I go to USF though and that's where my allegiance lies. I still root for FSU and OSU but if and when they play each other I want USF to win 200-0. I've gone to every USF home game since its inception and will continue to go because I made it MY school and MY team. Fans make a difference at games and by not being there it hurts the program, University, coaches, and most importantly the players. To me, football is one of the greatest things in life. I sleep, eat and breathe football and relish every waking moment to see it. 5-0 or 1-4, I'm there. I can't and won't turn my back on a team I love.

Edited by deters-
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I was, I hate to say it, a Florida Gator football fan until USF got football.  Then i dropped them right away and now, can't stand them.