• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Tampa Bay Times started charging to read the USF blog

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah, hard to be happy about this. I check the blog daily and buy papers when there are cool stories about USF.

So far I like Knight's writing and level of detail, but it was extremely rare to go four days with no stories or information in the middle of a season when Greg was on the USF beat. Not good timing either. I've checked everyday and nothing since the 18th then when his ap ballot is posted I'm supposed to pay to see it...

Just bad timing. I get the idea, but seems like a last ditch effort to me. Most sites with valuable content make money through advertising to share that information. Making readers pay and not toning down the ads or beefing up the coverage is saying that they were undervalued. Not sure that is true at this point. But what do I know. I'm just a reader that when enticed by the online content would buy the paper.

Edited by BullTiger

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

I love TBT and the in-depth Bulls coverage and have always enjoyed it.  With that being said, I wouldn't even pay a $1/month to read it.  You can explain to me how there are costs involved and salaries to pay till I'm blue in the face.  There is far too many other options (even if they are inferior) to choose from.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,051
  • Days Won:  469

and all of theor other articles. I guess I will be reading the trib. How is the USF reporting over there?

It seems to me that TBO appears more interested than they have in a long time. 

After Brett killed that blog, leaving the vacuum for the Times to become #1 (Brett was #1 first), no one could resurrect it.

The Times grew into the only blog Bulls fans read, except for the Brett supporters. No links from here went to TBO, at all.

With this change to the Times, I would think it would create an opening for TBO.  With Brett long since fired, I'm happy to help them grow.

I have already linked plenty and suggest you give it a try.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

The Times is a world class paper IMO, if their business model warrants a paywall to keep the quality of the content, its probably worth it.  There arent many products worth getting nickled and dimed for, but for me this is certainly one of them. 

Hahahahahaha! Good one.

Then stick to Fox News. 

For those that prefer facts:

The Tampa Bay Times is not only Florida's biggest newspaper, but for the past three decades, the locally owned, independent daily has also been ranked among the Top 10 newspapers in the country. Its outstanding journalism has captured prestigious national awards, including nine Pulitzer Prizes and numerous top honors from the most respected institutions that recognize excellence in the field of professional journalism.

Interesting ad hominem shot from someone who does not know me. 

I'm not a Fox News watcher, or much TV "news" for that matter.  Having years or experience in media, dealing directly with government and having won my share of journalistic awards, when I read newspapers I tend to opt for The Wall Street Journal or The New York Times.  In this age of easily accessible electronic information, however, I often don't rely on any newspaper.  We all now have access to vast informational resources and I do a lot of my own investigating.  I also have plenty of first-hand experience with what the artist f.k.a. The St. Petersburg Times often lets pass as journalism.  But if you like the TBT and think it is the be all and end all of journalistic truth then, by all means, enjoy your world. 

BTW, I don't have any real bones to pick with Greg Auman and thought he did a credible job.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,714
  • Days Won:  109

Readership certainly hasn't decreased dramatically. I understand you guys are used to getting the Times for free, so there's a decision to be made. I'm very careful with how I spend my money as well. I think you'll find -- whether by reading it or looking elsewhere -- that the Times has the best USF coverage you'll find anywhere on any site. There's a commitment in terms of the volume of coverage, the consistent travel, the depth of reporting. I think Joey's hit the ground running and will do a great job. You guys can reach me at auman@tampabay.com if you have any questions.

Hoping to get an answer here, if not, I'll email you.

So I have an online subscription to the paper.  Does that get me access to the blogs or is that another fee?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Readership certainly hasn't decreased dramatically. I understand you guys are used to getting the Times for free, so there's a decision to be made. I'm very careful with how I spend my money as well. I think you'll find -- whether by reading it or looking elsewhere -- that the Times has the best USF coverage you'll find anywhere on any site. There's a commitment in terms of the volume of coverage, the consistent travel, the depth of reporting. I think Joey's hit the ground running and will do a great job. You guys can reach me at auman@tampabay.com if you have any questions.

Gregg your articles have been great. I have been waiting to see some more from Knight. I used to check the blog several times a day hoping for the next piece of USF news. But I am sorry I am not going to pay even .50 cents to subscribe. The readership hasn't decreased because many like me probably didn't even notice until today when a warning popped up letting us know we only have a few free views left. Once those free views are used up you will see the drop. Like others have said there is plenty of good info here, and elsewhere for free. I hope you have success on your new Bucs beat. However I for one will no longer be following the times. The only stuff that really matters happens on Saturdays anyways. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,628

Incognito/Private browsing in Chrome and Firefox. That is all... :Shhhh:

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

Incognito/Private browsing in Chrome and Firefox. That is all... :Shhhh:

Another way is to turn off Javascript in the browser.  Works for all browsers.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

There are too many other sources of free information for this to actually work. Although the times has the best information that I've seen you can get more info from Twitter, ESPN, gousfbulls.com, other newspapers, etc for free. Good Luck to them. I'll read my 15 pages and then from that point I will look elsewhere until the next month starts.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

So it's our fault the Times can't sell advertising.  Hire new sales people