• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Tampa Bay Times started charging to read the USF blog

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I think it is important to clarify that the Times is charging for access to it's entire site, not specifically the blog.  We live in a capitalist society, which people seem to like except when they have to pay for something.  The Times has every right to charge, and we have every right to continue reading or not.  I don't understand being angry, they are a business trying to make money.  I doubt any of us complain when the company we work for tries to make more money so we can keep or improve our job.  I know I don't.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,051
  • Days Won:  469

GoUSFBulls.com has been positioning itself nicely to provide in depth and frequent Bulls information. Not as often as Greg, but getting there. Very similar in nature.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Honestly i haven't been terribly impressed by the gousfbulls coverage. Especially given the fact that they should have more access.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

I think it is important to clarify that the Times is charging for access to it's entire site, not specifically the blog.  We live in a capitalist society, which people seem to like except when they have to pay for something.  The Times has every right to charge, and we have every right to continue reading or not.  I don't understand being angry, they are a business trying to make money.  I doubt any of us complain when the company we work for tries to make more money so we can keep or improve our job.  I know I don't.

I'm not angry, and I don't think anybody else is as well.  And this country is great because of capitalism.

We're just saying that we are not going to pay for a golden banana when there are plenty of yellow bananas to be had for free.

Edited by Supersurch

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

The Times is a world class paper IMO, if their business model warrants a paywall to keep the quality of the content, its probably worth it.  There arent many products worth getting nickled and dimed for, but for me this is certainly one of them. 

Hahahahahaha! Good one.

Then stick to Fox News. 

For those that prefer facts:

The Tampa Bay Times is not only Florida's biggest newspaper, but for the past three decades, the locally owned, independent daily has also been ranked among the Top 10 newspapers in the country. Its outstanding journalism has captured prestigious national awards, including nine Pulitzer Prizes and numerous top honors from the most respected institutions that recognize excellence in the field of professional journalism.

so how long have you worked for the Times?   :lol:  :lol:

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I'd wager to be Mother Trib goes to this format in the next 6mths to a year... then who are you going to complain about? Newspapers have been moving to all digital format for years... eventually they were going to expect you to pay for the info. 

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I'd wager to be Mother Trib goes to this format in the next 6mths to a year... then who are you going to complain about? Newspapers have been moving to all digital format for years... eventually they were going to expect you to pay for the info. 

I pay for it already, every time I see another car ad on the site.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

No word on QB -- yet

Monday, September 23, 2013 8:15pm

Facebook

Email

September

Bulls coach Willie Taggart has decided on a starting quarterback for the Miami game. What he hasn't decided on is when he'll reveal his choice.

Around noon Monday, Taggart said on the American Athletic Conference weekly coaches' teleconference he hadn't settled on a starter, but could by the end of the day. 

Roughly six hours later, on his weekly radio show, he said he had made a decision -- presumably senior Bobby Eveld or sophomore Steven Bench -- but never revealed it. Taggart is expected to announce his choice at Tuesday's weekly press conference.

"We just need leadership from that position," Taggart said on his radio show. "If we don't need it anywhere else, we need it from that position, and guys that are going to rally the troops and get their teammates to play for them.

"I think that's so important. I think that's something that's missing with our guys. I think they're all capable of doing it, it's just a matter of them doing it and doing it consistently."

THE 'U' VS. THE YOUTH: In the wake of the Bulls' bye week, when coaches staged a couple of 

scrimmages to showcase young guys, Taggart hinted Monday more rookies could be on the verge 

of playing time. 

Among those whom Taggart said could debut against Miami: 328-pound freshman DT Derrick 

Calloway of Bradenton Manatee and Miami Northwestern RB Darius Tice. Backup CB Lamar Robbins also could get an increased role, Taggart said.

A two-time Class 7A all-state pick (and 2012 state shot put champ in 4A), Calloway totaled 13 sacks and 57 tackles for losses at Manatee -- Taggart's alma mater. Tice was a 1,200-yard rusher as a senior, earning second-team 6A all-state honors.

"The more they get familiar with what we're doing and we're comfortable with them going in," Taggart said, "the more they'll play for us."

LOCAL TIES: Officially, USF has six players who list Miami as their hometown, but that doesn't include several others from neighboring southeast Florida communities. Miami has nine players who hail from Hillsborough or Pinellas counties.

ODDS AND ENDS: The Bulls' Oct. 5 home game against Cincinnati -- their conference opener -- 

will be broadcast on ESPN3. Kickoff time hasn't yet been determined. ... Taggart said S JaQuez Jenkins, who sustained an unspecified lower-body injury against FAU, "ran around a 

little bit" Sunday, but his status for the Miami game will depend on how he practices Tuesday 

and Wednesday. 

AUDIBLE: "I think the 'U' is back. I think they're back." -- Taggart on Miami

[Last modified: Monday, September 23, 2013 8:18pm]

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

I pay for it already, every time I see another car ad on the site.

You realize that those banner ads you see are being purchased for anywhere from $0.50 to $6 per every 1,000 ads (depending upon placement, campaign size, etc)

So even if you viewed 1,000 banner ads the amount you are "paying" is about 6 bucks at most.  Newspaper companies are trading print dollars for digital pennies and it has really hurt their revenue.

People have paid for the newspaper for over 100 years.  No one complained.  Digital has changed everything.  If the content is worth it, people will pay.  Look at sites like Rivals or 247.  They charge for their content.  

Obviously as people have pointed out on this thread, there are several "work arounds" to not pay.