• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Silver Lining Thread - what good things or reasons for hope did you see

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  580
  • Days Won:  0

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that this loss could very well turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to this team this year.  

We went into this season with optimism buoyed by having a new coach.  I, personally, still believe that Taggart will turn this team around.  However, we have gone many seasons where we blow out some 1AA team in our first game and become far too confident for our good.  It's usually after our blowout victory that we hear prognostications of undefeated seasons and BCS bowl games from our fans.  They were always unrealistic expectations, but we were always misled by our victory over some cupcake team.  

This year can be different.  We have been served a big dose of humble pie.  We know what we are, but it's not too late in the season to fix things.  Our fans can have a realistic perception of where this team stands.  Our players will now understand that merely having a new coach and a new scheme is not enough to win games, but they also have to go out there and play with a different attitude.  Losing to a 1AA team will help our players understand that nothing can be taken for granted.  

It's not too late to have a decent season.  When Michigan was shocked by Appalachian State in 2007, they still went on to beat Florida in a bowl game.  We have been humbled and humiliated, but at least it happened in the first game of the season and not our first conference game as it usually happens.  Maybe we needed this loss to inspire our team.  That is the silver lining from this. 

I'd have to agree.  At least our problems have been exposed now as opposed to demolishing McNeese State and then getting manhandled by our conference.  

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Good spin on it...we are definitely not as bad as we played Saturday night. Hopefully we can build on something from the 3 remaining out of conference games. 

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

If USF beats Michigan St I nominate CWT for Coach of The Year. That would be a silver lining. This loss causing Mich St to overlook USF, a trap game for them.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

There is nothing positive that we can take away from a getting our asses handed to us by a high school team.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that this loss could very well turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to this team this year.  

We went into this season with optimism buoyed by having a new coach.  I, personally, still believe that Taggart will turn this team around.  However, we have gone many seasons where we blow out some 1AA team in our first game and become far too confident for our good.  It's usually after our blowout victory that we hear prognostications of undefeated seasons and BCS bowl games from our fans.  They were always unrealistic expectations, but we were always misled by our victory over some cupcake team.  

This year can be different.  We have been served a big dose of humble pie.  We know what we are, but it's not too late in the season to fix things.  Our fans can have a realistic perception of where this team stands.  Our players will now understand that merely having a new coach and a new scheme is not enough to win games, but they also have to go out there and play with a different attitude.  Losing to a 1AA team will help our players understand that nothing can be taken for granted.  

It's not too late to have a decent season.  When Michigan was shocked by Appalachian State in 2007, they still went on to beat Florida in a bowl game.  We have been humbled and humiliated, but at least it happened in the first game of the season and not our first conference game as it usually happens.  Maybe we needed this loss to inspire our team.  That is the silver lining from this. 

+1  The premise of this argument is the answer to this thread 

Things are bad and we got crushed by an FCS team, I get it. 

I, for one, have been in mourning for 48 hours and now am ready to move on from this game.  There have been other teams that have lost games to FCS teams (yes I realize not as bad as we did) and have still somewhat salvaged a season.  I'm not saying that is definitely going to happen to us, but this team reverted to turtling when they fell into quicksand in the 2nd quarter.  It will take some time to get mentally tougher.  When we give up a fumble recovery for a TD, we need to rebound by doing something other than throwing a pick six.

We are lacking talent but there are certainly things that can be fixed.  McNeese came out focused and executed their scheme brilliantly (oh and capitalized on turnovers).

Every time I think about Saturday, I want to wake up from that nightmare, but I also think it was a lot of bad things that went wrong at the exact same time.  I think we can play better than that.  Along those lines, I think the keys are the D-Line needs to show more urgency and we need to move on with Bobby as our QB.  Floyd 2nd int showed that Coach T didn't want to have a quick hook, but the writing was on the wall.  Bobby deserves a shot after injecting at least some life into our passing game.  Obviously Bench and White would prepare us better for the future but I think Bobby deserves this opportunity in my opinion.

I will be at Michigan St rooting us on...Go Bulls

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159

There is nothing positive that we can take away from a getting our asses handed to us by a high school team.

So you completely disagree with the multiple posts above? I don't think your analysis is objectively thought out.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681

If USF beats Michigan St I nominate CWT for Coach of The Year. That would be a silver lining. This loss causing Mich St to overlook USF, a trap game for them.

We will be a trap game for every opponent on our schedule after the beating we took from McNeese.

Louisville, Miami, MSU especially. Those teams have big hopes for this season.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

So you completely disagree with the multiple posts above? I don't think your analysis is objectively thought out.

Fine... um... uh... well I'll be able to finally get those choice front row, south endzone seats, I have been holding out for come next season... thats something positive for me at least.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Eveld can run the offense and run well enough to keep the defense from completely dropping into coverage.

Shaw is more agile and speedy than he ever was, and Pierre has the makings of a good counterpart bruiser.

McFarland shows great potential.

Cliett is everywhere the ball is. (just wish the rest of the D could read plays well enough!)

We found out who were the gamers and where our major problems are BEFORE we reached conference play. Now if coaches can just fix them...

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Silver lining? We got an ugly loss out of the way early. Opponents will count us out and think they can easily beat us. I think Taggart will right the ship. We won only 3 games last year. If we win 4 this year it is a step in the right direction.

He still has guys on the bench who can play. Lets rotate through and put the best on the field.

Season is not over after 1 game and 1 loss.

Don't forget, half of the CFB teams lost last weekend and they are on meltdown alert too. Yes, ours was a record-breaking ugly loss, but it was also a wakeup call with a no name opponent. We can do well in the AAC if we get our game on.