• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ask me anything about Michigan State

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

We struggle against big physical teams.. Our only chance is a 10-9 barn burner

We have in the past.  We have no idea how we'll fare right now.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

We should be able to get pressure with our d-line.  On offense, it appears we're going to a run first, ball control type offense.  Hopefully, we can get a couple of time-eating, long, sustained drives.

I'd anticipate you getting a decent bit of pressure. Got some youth at LT and it always feels like we take a few games to gel.

On offense, good luck with trying ball control. Here's a nifty stat from 2012. MSU had the 110th ranked scoring offense and the 97th ranked total offense. This shows that we weren't moving the ball well, nor were we converting scoring opportunities.

Here's the kicker. We finished 3rd NATIONALLY in time of possession. Our defense is that good. Finished #3 nationally in First Downs Allowed, a paltry 14.6 per game. If USF tries going run-first, it will not end well for you. Short passing game should be your bread and butter.

I don't think there is any doubt we plan to run the ball.  How much flexibility to deviate from the plan remains to be seen.  

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Short passing game is a staple wof the west coast offense... 3 steps and fling

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  41
  • Days Won:  0

We should be able to get pressure with our d-line.  On offense, it appears we're going to a run first, ball control type offense.  Hopefully, we can get a couple of time-eating, long, sustained drives.

I'd anticipate you getting a decent bit of pressure. Got some youth at LT and it always feels like we take a few games to gel.

On offense, good luck with trying ball control. Here's a nifty stat from 2012. MSU had the 110th ranked scoring offense and the 97th ranked total offense. This shows that we weren't moving the ball well, nor were we converting scoring opportunities.

Here's the kicker. We finished 3rd NATIONALLY in time of possession. Our defense is that good. Finished #3 nationally in First Downs Allowed, a paltry 14.6 per game. If USF tries going run-first, it will not end well for you. Short passing game should be your bread and butter.

I don't think there is any doubt we plan to run the ball.  How much flexibility to deviate from the plan remains to be seen.  

MSU's defense can be aggressive at times, so counters/draws can work out well. But your OL is going to have its hands full. Some sort of zone-blocking with misdirection could work out very well. If you try to line up in the I and pound the rock, you're not getting anywhere.

Short passing game is a staple wof the west coast offense... 3 steps and fling

This is what it comes down to. Last year Indiana lit us up in the first half with the short passing game. We were down 2 or 3 scores IIRC and then our defense work up and we held them to 37 yards and 2 1st downs in the second half. If you use the quick passes to the flats effectively, you can put up a lot of points. Gotta keep your foot on the gas though.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

how are the ladies?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  41
  • Days Won:  0

how are the ladies?

Fantastic. Although considering most of you are used to Florida talent, I suppose it may not live up to your standards. But MSU is not lacking in eye candy.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

...that ends with us scoring 7.

I'm okay with that as long as they score 6 or less.

May be wrong, but I think the reference was to us scoring TD's rather than FG's.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

May be wrong, but I think the reference was to us scoring TD's rather than FG's.

Um, yeah. Seemed obvious what I meant but if we want to get technical then crikey, yes, I'd settle for 6, 7, or 8 as long as we reach the endzone and don't friggin fumble or INT on the 5 yard or something--that crap kills spirits.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Um, yeah. Seemed obvious what I meant but if we want to get technical then crikey, yes, I'd settle for 6, 7, or 8 as long as we reach the endzone and don't friggin fumble or INT on the 5 yard or something--that crap kills spirits.

yea, and grinds my gears... oh, wrong thread :roflmao:

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Where is the "Must eat" place in EL?  Need a place for Friday night.