• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ask me anything about Michigan State

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Excellent feedback Macks, very nice to have a first impression from fans that can roll with the punches and have some fun.

For us, MSU will be our offense's proving grounds. No strong position players at QB or RB and an unproven OL spells a real challenge for us to put points on you. Our D will definitely challenge the run, it's our down-field play we're going to be concerned about. Those bombs may work, I just hope not.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  41
  • Days Won:  0

Do you think Michigan State has a chance verse USF?

Come on, lotsofbull. Let us say it together!:  "Michigan State will destroy us!"

That's the spirit!

So, turnovers and special teams wins this game.

Probably. Biggest matchup of this game is USF offense vs. MSU defense. Our D is probably the most proven product on the field. If USF can move the ball and more important, turn redzone opportunities into points, then it's possible probable that our offense will suck enough for you to win out.

Special teams is important but I don't know if it'll be a big enough factor in this game, aside from a gamebreaking play. Turnovers will be key. Our defense has been emphasizing creating more turnovers in practice.

Excellent feedback Macks, very nice to have a first impression from fans that can roll with the punches and have some fun.

For us, MSU will be our offense's proving grounds. No strong position players at QB or RB and an unproven OL spells a real challenge for us to put points on you. Our D will definitely challenge the run, it's our down-field play we're going to be concerned about. Those bombs may work, I just hope not.

Our passing game was pretty anemic last year. I'm hoping it'll be a step up but obviously seeing is believing. I'm more interested to see how our OL looks. We've had horrible horrible luck on the OL the last 3 years, a ton of injuries (including at least 4 career ending ones). If healthy, our OL should be decent this year and USF is the first halfway decent DL we face, so it should tell us how things are.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

We should be able to get pressure with our d-line.  On offense, it appears we're going to a run first, ball control type offense.  Hopefully, we can get a couple of time-eating, long, sustained drives.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

We should be able to get pressure with our d-line.  On offense, it appears we're going to a run first, ball control type offense.  Hopefully, we can get a couple of time-eating, long, sustained drives.

...that ends with us scoring 7.

I'd anticipate you getting a decent bit of pressure. Got some youth at LT and it always feels like we take a few games to gel.

On offense, good luck with trying ball control. Here's a nifty stat from 2012. MSU had the 110th ranked scoring offense and the 97th ranked total offense. This shows that we weren't moving the ball well, nor were we converting scoring opportunities.

Here's the kicker. We finished 3rd NATIONALLY in time of possession. Our defense is that good. Finished #3 nationally in First Downs Allowed, a paltry 14.6 per game. If USF tries going run-first, it will not end well for you. Short passing game should be your bread and butter.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'm concerned with the size of their offensive line. Dantonio has always loved pounding the rock with that running game going back to his days at the helm in Cinci. Our D-line will probably give them fits, but if our LB's aren't watching out for their running backs either running or catching short dump passes, we'll get nickled and dimed all game long. I'm looking forward to my trip up to East Lansing. I've got fond memories of Lansing and East Lansing, as I did some graduate work up there.

I'm concerned with the size of their offensive line. Dantonio has always loved pounding the rock with that running game going back to his days at the helm in Cinci. Our D-line will probably give them fits, but if our LB's aren't watching out for their running backs either running or catching short dump passes, we'll get nickled and dimed all game long. I'm looking forward to my trip up to East Lansing. I've got fond memories of Lansing and East Lansing, as I did some graduate work up there.

Size and quality of OL are not necessarily correlated at all. But we do like bringing in some big TEs (6'5 260 and 6'7 300) in blocking situations. Also use a good bit of power I with a true fullback.

Another thing we need to look for is how adept MSU's WRs are at open field blocking. They were awful last year and that resulted in short passing game struggling as well, since it was hard to execute flares, bubble screens, end arounds etc. Based on all reports, the OL has improved a lot now that it's healthy....but it's struggled a lot the past 2 years. We shall see.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

We struggle against big physical teams.. Our only chance is a 10-9 barn burner

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

If I recall correctly we had a bit of trouble beating Mark Dantonio's teams when he was at Cincinnati.  He's a pretty solid coach.  

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

...that ends with us scoring 7.

I'm okay with that as long as they score 6 or less.