• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Its unfortunate that current stadium rules don't allow an axe to be brought in, the basis for the Cal  Stanford rivalry game.

The Stanford Axe was originally a standard 15-inch lumberman's axe. It made its first appearance on April 13, 1899 during a Stanford rally when yell leaders used it to decapitate a straw man dressed in blue and gold ribbons while chanting the Axe yell, which was based on The Frogs by Aristophanes (Brekekekek croax croax):

Give 'em the axe, the axe, the axe! Give 'em the axe, the axe, the axe! Give 'em the axe, give 'em the axe, Give 'em the axe, where? Right in the neck, the neck, the neck! Right in the neck, the neck, the neck! Right in the neck, right in the neck, Right in the neck! There!

The Axe made its second appearance two days later on April 15,1899 at a Cal-Stanford baseball game played at 16th Street and Folsom in San Francisco. Led by Billy Erb, the Stanford yell leaders paraded the Axe and used it to chop up blue and gold ribbon after every good play by the Stanford team, while shouting the Axe yell. However, Stanford lost the game and the series, and the yell leaders debated if the Axe was a jinx and whether to dispose of it.

As the Stanford students discussed the Axe's fate, a group of Cal students seized it and ran off with the Axe. It in turn was passed from student to student, and a chase ensued through the streets of San Francisco, first followed by Stanford students and fans and second followed by the San Francisco police. During the chase, the Axe's handle was broken off.

The Axe was given to a young Berkeley student, who stood at 5'7", and was able to pose as a girl with the Axe's blade concealed on his person. With this disguise, he was able to evade the San Francisco police, and was able to cross to Berkeley, where the Axe was first stored in a fraternity, and later in a bank vault. However, this story has become popular as a traditional story told at the yearly Axe Rally: Cal student Clint Miller, who was wearing an overcoat so he could easily conceal the ax head, was the last to handle the Axe. As he reached the Ferry Building, he noticed the police inspecting the pockets of every boarding male passenger. As luck would have it, Miller encountered an old girlfriend, Agnes. Posing as a couple, the two successfully boarded the narrow gauge ferry to Alameda/Oakland (to avoid the police searching those buying tickets to Berkeley) and from there Miller took the Axe back to Berkeley. Two days later, Cal held its first Axe Rally........

read the rest at  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stanford_Axe

Edited by slick1ru2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,002
  • Days Won:  469

I don't detest UCF. I have laughed at them far more than I have despised them, by far. Their history with us and their trying to control our future/glom on to us is laughable. It isn't that I don't like them, it's more like they bring no value.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

Hey, don't blame me for trying to start a real rivalry with someone USF fans love to hate.

The Gators?

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

Hey, don't blame me for trying to start a real rivalry with someone USF fans love to hate.

The Gators?

I thought Rutgers got out of this dumpster fire of a conference...

I don't detest UCF. I have laughed at them far more than I have despised them, by far. Their history with us and their trying to control our future/glom on to us is laughable. It isn't that I don't like them, it's more like they bring no value.

To find value, you have to look beyond a handful of meetings, the current situation, and think long term.

111th_Battle_For_The_Bell.jpeg

^^^^^

Never heard of it, but neato logo.

The Miami-Cincinnati series ranks fifth on the list of most-played rivalries in college football and is the oldest Division I rivalry west of the Allegheny Mountains. After the 2010–12 NCAA conference realignment led to the end of several historic rivalries, it is now the most-played currently active rivalry involving schools from the same state, and also holds the same distinction among inter-conference rivalries. Of the more than thirty college football rivalries that include at least 89 games, none is older than Miami vs. Cincinnati.

Do you think Cincinnati considers Miami (OH) a rival, or is it a glorified non-con, that has tradition and history?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

Do you think Cincinnati considers Miami (OH) a rival, or is it a glorified non-con, that has tradition and history?

That's a good point. 

Do you think Cincinnati considers Ohio State to be a rival? 

I wonder who Cinci considers to be a real rival....

Over a century teams go in cycles of being great and sucking. That's what USF fans don't seem to grasp. 1 1/2 years of bad football was the end of the world. Brad, over that series MIAMI has the most wins, not Cincy. Who knows what it will be in 100 years, things change.

Miami leads that series, 59-51-7

Edited by slick1ru2