• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do we need OCS for survival?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

It's not necessary for survival but it would be nice in that it would get old alums on campus.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

It would help with recruting, while shedding the commuter school label somewhat. Schools with an OCS have a more college town atmospehere, but it's not feasible right now because as you can see from this board, our fans won't accept a stadium below the 100mil mark. I'd be perfectly fine with a bigger FAU type stadium compared to RJS, but that's just me.

As I've posted before, actual interviews with recruits, an NFL stadium helps with recruiting. These kids dream of playing in the NFL and NFL player polls have RJ as the #2 natural surface field in the league.

I don't care what your interview said. Chances are, the kids didn't want to say anything negative about where we play because we were recruting them. THe average high school kid would rather play on an OCS. It's common sense. I don't know why one of these threads has to pop up every couple of weeks.

Of course you don't care what recruits say, you want an OCS. No one asked them about the stadium and it wasn't one interview it was several recruits saying the one of the things that impressed them enough to commit. Also note that interviews over the years at the Big East Media day of other players, when asked their favorite away game, guess where at least half say? Ray Jay, playing in an NFL stadium in great weather. Now is that because they didn't want to say anything negative about USF? Hardly. Why do you think 1) Superbull is at Ray Jay and 2) Why they usually sign players at Superbull? Once these kids get on an NFL field they want to play on it. Kids have no idea about an OCS, stadium, they don't want to be a college star who can't play in the NFL, they want to play on Sunday and that stadium gives them an idea of what its like.

That's not what CPR said... he said that when they're talking about their recruitment of course they're going to say nice things about RJS. A group of us had a conversation last season with 7-10 players one night and this subject came up... All of them said they'd prefer a OCS over RJS for the atmosphere. 

Not saying we need one now but to say the majority of players would take RJS over an OCS is incorrect.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

It would help with recruting, while shedding the commuter school label somewhat. Schools with an OCS have a more college town atmospehere, but it's not feasible right now because as you can see from this board, our fans won't accept a stadium below the 100mil mark. I'd be perfectly fine with a bigger FAU type stadium compared to RJS, but that's just me.

As I've posted before, actual interviews with recruits, an NFL stadium helps with recruiting. These kids dream of playing in the NFL and NFL player polls have RJ as the #2 natural surface field in the league.

I don't care what your interview said. Chances are, the kids didn't want to say anything negative about where we play because we were recruting them. THe average high school kid would rather play on an OCS. It's common sense. I don't know why one of these threads has to pop up every couple of weeks.

Of course you don't care what recruits say, you want an OCS. No one asked them about the stadium and it wasn't one interview it was several recruits saying the one of the things that impressed them enough to commit. Also note that interviews over the years at the Big East Media day of other players, when asked their favorite away game, guess where at least half say? Ray Jay, playing in an NFL stadium in great weather. Now is that because they didn't want to say anything negative about USF? Hardly. Why do you think 1) Superbull is at Ray Jay and 2) Why they usually sign players at Superbull? Once these kids get on an NFL field they want to play on it. Kids have no idea about an OCS, stadium, they don't want to be a college star who can't play in the NFL, they want to play on Sunday and that stadium gives them an idea of what its like.

You're delusional if you think college kids would rather play off campus. It's not feasible now, so it doesn't matter anyways. I'll leave it at that.

And you are just as delusional if you think a glorified high school stadium, which is most likely what USF would get, is going to hold more sway over a recruit than one of the top NFL stadiums in the country. Even a girl gets it.

http://www.usforacle.com/stadiums-not-always-up-to-par-1.733286#.UegUzazJIrU

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

You're delusional if you think college kids would rather play off campus. It's not feasible now, so it doesn't matter anyways. I'll leave it at that.

And you are just as delusional if you think a glorified high school stadium, which is most likely what USF would get, is going to hold more sway over a recruit than one of the top NFL stadiums in the country. Even a girl gets it.

Okay, I guess I'm delusional since a girl agrees with you. RJS is fine for the time being. I just think we could get something going for $125mil-$175mil in the next 5 years compared to the 300mil Minnesota stadium that every here is so emphatic about. That stadium will bever happen here in the next decade.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Okay, I guess I'm delusional since a girl agrees with you. RJS is fine for the time being. I just think we could get something going for $125mil-$175mil in the next 5 years compared to the 300mil Minnesota stadium that every here is so emphatic about. That stadium will bever happen here in the next decade.

In the next 5 years the $300 mil stadium that people liked that are a few years old already are going to be closer to $400 mil or more to build. If you think that is preposterous, Ray Jay cost $168 million to build in 1998 while Minnesota Golden Gopher's stadium cost almost double that to complete 10 years later.

When you are talking a quarter or a half billion to build a quality stadium vs the minute amount a high school recruit may want to play in an OCS over an NFL stadium which most likely is not a deal breaker, that's not much return on your investment.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Agree that we need an OCS, but just like our conference woes, it ain't changing any time soon.

I have X amount of time and energy to spend on the BULLS, I'm not going to waste either worrying about something I have absolutely no control over.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'm glad we're having this discussion. It's an issue we've never talked about before.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

we should have been trying to leverage ourselves up since rates have been low.  if they're going up than who knows if the breakeven has moved out of our reach.  we may have missed an opportunity to build something in the next 20 years (or until we have enough attendance to sell out our games).

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

This pic belongs on any OCS thread until we actually have a date for breaking ground: 

Not_This_Shit_Again.gif

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

...for $125 mil-$175 mil in the next 5 years compared to the $300 mil Minnesota stadium that every here is so emphatic about. That stadium will never happen here in the next decade.

I was unaware that anyone had put forth a drop-dead date. So what if USF is still playing in RayJ ten years hence?

I doubt the university wants a replica of the frying pan, and let's not rule out the possibility that when players, off the cuff, comment that they'd rather play in an OCS, because of the atmosphere...part of me thinks they're envisioning something like LSU's Tiger Stadium or Neyland Stadium rather than FIU's Alfonso Field. As pointed out here...the phrase 'OCS' means different things to different people.  

:FIREdevil:

• Upvote 1