• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC bowl situation just went from bad to worse

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Bowl situation seems bleak now, But I don't see this pattern holding long if at all.  The So called Power 5 Think they can exclude the rest from the Bowls, This sounds great in theory but  Unless the NCAA gives them waivers on a yearly basis, they wont be able to fill all their bowl slots. They already struggle now with this(UCLA last year or two, GA tech last season with a losing record)    So it will only take a few years of Bowl CEO'S  not making millions of dollars by not being able to host/ play a bowl game or two.  

You have to have 6 wins to go bowling(with no more than 1 of those wins coming from the little guys,  you cant have a losing record either meaning if your 6-6 and lose your Conf Championship game to finish 6-7 you technically aren't bowl eligible.(GA TECH).

There are 70 bowl spots under the current system and with the talks of the smaller conferences(non power 5) talking about creating their own bowls that will also take away from the bowl eligible pool.  

NCAA better be ready for the crap that the So called Power 5 and ESPN are trying to create.(ESPN owns most of the bowls, all but 2-3 I believe).

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  2

I hate people who whine incessantly yet provide no solutions to a given problem. They are losers.

My solution is to give up on college football and USF altogether.  I'll give us the benefit of the doubt that we'll get into the B12 or some sort of improved position, otherwise my solution is to walk away and enjoy 12 new free weekends every year in the fall.

LOL, I was not referring to you but at least you have a solution. I would never have free weekends as I am an NFL fan first.

you must be talking about usf athletics

i pride myself on being a problem solver not a problem identifier

Oy

Must be as long as the solving of the problem doesn't involve money ...

I did LOL at this but there is a little more to it. People I meet are often surprised to find out that I am one of Mazza's defenders and not just from a free speech and anti-lovefest perspective. Dude has a lot of passion for USF even if we think it is misdirected. I know at other schools that the biggest donors have a lot of say in what happens and push for desired results. Even if I think some of his opinions are at times unreasonable, his demand for excellence is one we can all agree with. I think a more positive and direct involvement in the program would yield better results than only pontificating on a message board. (ok, enough frankness, back to irreverence!)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

I hate people who whine incessantly yet provide no solutions to a given problem. They are losers.

My solution is to give up on college football and USF altogether.  I'll give us the benefit of the doubt that we'll get into the B12 or some sort of improved position, otherwise my solution is to walk away and enjoy 12 new free weekends every year in the fall.

LOL, I was not referring to you but at least you have a solution. I would never have free weekends as I am an NFL fan first.

you must be talking about usf athletics

i pride myself on being a problem solver not a problem identifier

Oy

Must be as long as the solving of the problem doesn't involve money ...

I did LOL at this but there is a little more to it. People I meet are often surprised to find out that I am one of Mazza's defenders and not just from a free speech and anti-lovefest perspective. Dude has a lot of passion for USF even if we think it is misdirected. I know at other schools that the biggest donors have a lot of say in what happens and push for desired results. Even if I think some of his opinions are at times unreasonable, his demand for excellence is one we can all agree with. I think a more positive and direct involvement in the program would yield better results than only pontificating on a message board. (ok, enough frankness, back to irreverence!)

Eloquently put but you can't put lipstick on a pig .... Smazza is the textbook example of a troll. He posts, for the most part, for effect .... wanting to draw out the ire of the fans here.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

For smazza to say he is a problem solver and not a problem identifier is just rich. All he does is post fortune cookie like cryptic messages saying that USF should be a premier college football program, I guess because USF is in Florida or, paradoxically,  that USF isn't a premier college football program. He'll post something like "usf should be getting the best recruits" or "of course they didn't win, they have bad coaches" I have yet to read from him how any solutions. At least any realistic ones.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

For smazza to say he is a problem solver and not a problem identifier is just rich. All he does is post fortune cookie like cryptic messages saying that USF should be a premier college football program, I guess because USF is in Florida or, paradoxically,  that USF isn't a premier college football program. He'll post something like "usf should be getting the best recruits" or "of course they didn't win, they have bad coaches" I have yet to read from him how any solutions. At least any realistic ones.

Lol. "Fortune cookie" is spot on.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,959
  • Days Won:  12

This is so bad its becoming comical. The pee 5 are on their high horses as if Indiana or Washington State or Kansas are too good to play Boise State, USF, Cincy, etc. Its like a bad, hilarious, reality TV show.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,959
  • Days Won:  12

This is so bad its becoming comical. The pee 5 are on their high horses as if Indiana or Washington State or Kansas are too good to play Boise State, USF, Cincy, etc. Its like a bad, hilarious, reality TV show.

And yes, I said "pee 5" and will be using it from here on out in place of P5

Yeah there are some crap P5 teams. I saw an article about Boston College. They have to go out 25 years before looking good when comparing records to other P5 teams. pathetic.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Good job Balto. The ONLY person that agrees with you is a UCF fan. Keep beating that drum, nobody is joining your band.

I am not a UCF fan, I appreciate the beat, and I believe that I was the original band member in this thread. For those of you under 30 that cling to bowls, you are fooling yourselves. I grew up watching all of the big bowl games on New Year's Day. It was over, the voters voted and the MNC was granted. There were no 6-7 teams with waivers, there were no 8-5 teams, you had to actually have a great season to get into a bowl game. The violation we have no is a shell of the "Bowl tradition".

Count me in.

A 16-team playoff with 10 conference champions and 6 at-large bids works for me.

big 5 arent including other conferences

non big 5 need to break away and form their own league with different rules

they should start by paying players

Non big 5 can't afford to pay players.