• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC bowl situation just went from bad to worse

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Why wouldn't the G5 just develop a playoff? Is there some rule against it? Even when we played a big name, I don't think that we sold our entire allotment.

YES!!!

Have a straight playoff. 

I still think Aresco's idea of a nationwide conference can take off if others are willing.

Blow everything up, take the teams with the most potential from AAC, MWC (MAC and C-USA?) put them in a 'conference' with four tightly-geographical divisions.

Rip off the NFL, but take the concept and sell it to the networks.

I think if teams from the other conferences see the potential, they might bite.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959

Why wouldn't the G5 just develop a playoff? Is there some rule against it? Even when we played a big name, I don't think that we sold our entire allotment.

YES!!!

Have a straight playoff. 

I still think Aresco's idea of a nationwide conference can take off if others are willing.

Blow everything up, take the teams with the most potential from AAC, MWC (MAC and C-USA?) put them in a 'conference' with four tightly-geographical divisions.

How is this CFB anymore? If the P5 are going to be NFL Lite or Minor League NFL, the best of the rest in some sort of playoff scheme is going to be Arena League 2 Lite. I guess they've already killed tradition and the spirit of amateur competition, but if we do get relegated to some bizarro division 2 with a straight playoff, we're going to be losing fans in droves. I won't watch it. I love USF, but I'd be done with CFB in general. It would be completely foreign to what I love and grew up watching (not that it isn't already).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

:iconic_u_black:  "highest-rated champion from the "Group of Five" conferences -- the American, Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt and Mid-American -- will receive an automatic berth in one of the six access bowls."

IMO this is the only bowl game that matters...Tulsa, Navy, East Carolina, USF, UCF, Uconn, Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Tulane, Temple....3 bowl tie ins are enough for this conference. :iconic_u_black:

Although I basically agree with that, it would be nice for the players to have as much opportunity as possible for the reward of a bowl game for busting their asses for 5 months ...

I hear you but a 6-6 or 7-5 record in this conference should not be rewarded. :iconic_u_black:

The idea of a playoff is depressing. CFB is about a lot of things and one of those things is bowls. I guess these lesser bowls could host a Div II (or whatever) playoff, but it just doesn't feel right. I'd like to see hardware in the trophy cabinets, even if it's crappy hardware. So, I'm for any bowl that we can get.

It's hard to feel positive about developments, and it's hard to hope for something better when every door seems to be closed off. I know many people called out the OP for being negative, and I admit to only being on here sparingly lately so I don't know the scope, but there doesn't seem much to be positive about lately. What else are we going to talk about except whatever the method du jour is that USF and/or the Ack is getting kneed in the beans. Ugh.

My main problem with the bowls, especially the 'marquee' bowls now moving forward is the selection committee. 

Once you come to terms with the fact that the important bowl games will essentially be reserved for the anointed few and that for all intents and purposes, college football is largely a beauty pageant, it (for me at least) becomes a whole lot easier to say f*** it. It's a game we simply cannot win for a number of reasons.

I don't understand the emotional attachment to bowls. What history do WE have with them? I can see lamenting the loss of never being able to play in the Orange again, if the Bulls had actually played in it, but to me, it's chasing the carrot on the stick. Fighting tooth and nail to be given the chance and paying for the 'privilege' of playing in what will likely be the newest incarnation of the Poulan Weed-Eater Independence Bowl by clinging onto this notion does not appeal to me.

I want to see in a few years how many P5 schools are profitable. Sure, they are making more money now. But, the costs for everything has just gone up as well. Bet me that bowl tickets wont become more expensive now that sponsors, increasing the payout will have to recoup losses. Those losses will be imposed on the schools playing in the games in the form(s) they are now - only more so. It's the same game - just with more money on the table.

I think we are witnessing the 'bubble' of college football. At some point, it will pop - won't it?

Let the P5 keep their bowls and let the G5 blaze new trails with a true playoff format. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959

I don't understand the emotional attachment to bowls. What history do WE have with them? 

For me, really, it's about being a wannabe. Ever since USF announced football, I've been chomping at the bit for USF to become a football power. Yes, it takes generations. But, I was hoping. I never wanted a IAA program, never liked the idea of being Indie. My hope for USF was for us to build our program and start playing in the Orange bowls, etc. and eventually (maybe not even during my lifetime, but eventually) becoming a power football school. Naive? It would seem so. But, the idea of fielding a IAA or Div II or Div III team just for sake of playing football never appealed to me as a fan or as an alum. That's my emotional attachment to bowls. Serious teams used to go to Bowls and got rewarded for it. Histories were made in them. Reputations were made in them. Now, for us, they'll be gone.

YES!!!

Have a straight playoff. 

It would be completely foreign to what I love and grew up watching (not that it isn't already).

Exactly. It already is different. 

Remember, Florida State and Miami rose through the ranks as INDEPENDENTS before the disparity of budgets, contracts and networks created the Davids & Goliath's of today. 

Do you think Boise State, for all of their success and emulating FSU's 'play anyone, anywhere' will be anything more than an interesting storyline on ESPN's coverage of the ACC and SEC?

Contract bowls, conference (and team) networks and the conferences consolidating power in general have already irreversibly changed the landscape of college football.

It's time for USF and the others shutout to do something different, IMO.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

:iconic_u_black:  "highest-rated champion from the "Group of Five" conferences -- the American, Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt and Mid-American -- will receive an automatic berth in one of the six access bowls."

IMO this is the only bowl game that matters...Tulsa, Navy, East Carolina, USF, UCF, Uconn, Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Tulane, Temple....3 bowl tie ins are enough for this conference. :iconic_u_black:

Although I basically agree with that, it would be nice for the players to have as much opportunity as possible for the reward of a bowl game for busting their asses for 5 months ...

I hear you but a 6-6 or 7-5 record in this conference should not be rewarded. :iconic_u_black:

I do understand that .... but we're going to need every tool possible in recruiting as this thing progresses and being able to say we've gone to a bowl 'x' amounts of years in a row would be a chip, albeit minor one, to throw in there ... hopefully, they won't ask which ones.  ;)

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

YES!!!

Have a straight playoff. 

It would be completely foreign to what I love and grew up watching (not that it isn't already).

Remember, Florida State and Miami rose through the ranks as INDEPENDENTS before the disparity of budgets, contracts and networks created the Davids & Goliath's of today. 

They also had FAR, FAR, FAR shittier years than we've ever experienced.  They had more ****** years than we've had our football program.  Don't know that much about Miami, but check out the 1970s seasons before Bowden got there.  

It's a different era, and it's not an apples to apples comparison.  I'm against independence because, while we're not making much $ in the conference, at least we're making something.  We're not guaranteed to make one red cent as an independent.  

Plus a couple crappy bowl tie-ins are better than no bowl tie-ins. No matter what bowl we might end up in, it's going to be televised and it would be best for us to blow out a terrible opponent in a bowl where people can see, vs. maybe having a decent season but no bowl invite because we were independent and another team got our spot.  

A crappy TV deal is better than no TV deal.  If we were independent, I'd have to try to pirate some satellite to be able to watch USF games on BH 37 or whatever it is, because that would be the only channel carrying the Bulls.  

I think the notion to go independent is beyond nonsense for the Bulls, but I get the desperation some of us  are feeling as our situation appears to continue to get more and more bleak by the day.   

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

YES!!!

Have a straight playoff. 

They also had FAR, FAR, FAR shittier years than we've ever experienced.  They had more ****** years than we've had our football program.  Don't know that much about Miami, but check out the 1970s seasons before Bowden got there.  

It's a different era, and it's not an apples to apples comparison.  I'm against independence because, while we're not making much $ in the conference, at least we're making something.  We're not guaranteed to make one red cent as an independent.  

Plus a couple crappy bowl tie-ins are better than no bowl tie-ins. No matter what bowl we might end up in, it's going to be televised and it would be best for us to blow out a terrible opponent in a bowl where people can see, vs. maybe having a decent season but no bowl invite because we were independent and another team got our spot.  

A crappy TV deal is better than no TV deal.  If we were independent, I'd have to try to pirate some satellite to be able to watch USF games on BH 37 or whatever it is, because that would be the only channel carrying the Bulls.  

I think the notion to go independent is beyond nonsense for the Bulls, but I get the desperation some of us  are feeling as our situation appears to continue to get more and more bleak by the day.   

Balto's not arguing we should go independent ... just advocating creating a new division between FBS and FCS .... I think.