• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC bowl situation just went from bad to worse

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Why wouldn't the G5 just develop a playoff? Is there some rule against it? Even when we played a big name, I don't think that we sold our entire allotment.

YES!!!

Have a straight playoff. 

I still think Aresco's idea of a nationwide conference can take off if others are willing.

Blow everything up, take the teams with the most potential from AAC, MWC (MAC and C-USA?) put them in a 'conference' with four tightly-geographical divisions.

Rip off the NFL, but take the concept and sell it to the networks.

I think if teams from the other conferences see the potential, they might bite.

It would be completely foreign to what I love and grew up watching (not that it isn't already).

Exactly. It already is different. 

Remember, Florida State and Miami rose through the ranks as INDEPENDENTS before the disparity of budgets, contracts and networks created the Davids & Goliath's of today. 

They also had FAR, FAR, FAR shittier years than we've ever experienced.  They had more ****** years than we've had our football program.  Don't know that much about Miami, but check out the 1970s seasons before Bowden got there.  

It's a different era, and it's not an apples to apples comparison.  I'm against independence because, while we're not making much $ in the conference, at least we're making something.  We're not guaranteed to make one red cent as an independent.  

Plus a couple crappy bowl tie-ins are better than no bowl tie-ins. No matter what bowl we might end up in, it's going to be televised and it would be best for us to blow out a terrible opponent in a bowl where people can see, vs. maybe having a decent season but no bowl invite because we were independent and another team got our spot.  

A crappy TV deal is better than no TV deal.  If we were independent, I'd have to try to pirate some satellite to be able to watch USF games on BH 37 or whatever it is, because that would be the only channel carrying the Bulls.  

I think the notion to go independent is beyond nonsense for the Bulls, but I get the desperation some of us  are feeling as our situation appears to continue to get more and more bleak by the day.   

Balto's not arguing we should go independent ... just advocating creating a new division between FBS and FCS .... I think.

YES - I've been beating this drum for a while.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Why wouldn't the G5 just develop a playoff? Is there some rule against it? Even when we played a big name, I don't think that we sold our entire allotment.

YES!!!

Have a straight playoff. 

I still think Aresco's idea of a nationwide conference can take off if others are willing.

Blow everything up, take the teams with the most potential from AAC, MWC (MAC and C-USA?) put them in a 'conference' with four tightly-geographical divisions.

It would be completely foreign to what I love and grew up watching (not that it isn't already).

Remember, Florida State and Miami rose through the ranks as INDEPENDENTS before the disparity of budgets, contracts and networks created the Davids & Goliath's of today. 

They also had FAR, FAR, FAR shittier years than we've ever experienced.  They had more ****** years than we've had our football program.  Don't know that much about Miami, but check out the 1970s seasons before Bowden got there.  

It's a different era, and it's not an apples to apples comparison.  I'm against independence because, while we're not making much $ in the conference, at least we're making something.  We're not guaranteed to make one red cent as an independent.  

Plus a couple crappy bowl tie-ins are better than no bowl tie-ins. No matter what bowl we might end up in, it's going to be televised and it would be best for us to blow out a terrible opponent in a bowl where people can see, vs. maybe having a decent season but no bowl invite because we were independent and another team got our spot.  

A crappy TV deal is better than no TV deal.  If we were independent, I'd have to try to pirate some satellite to be able to watch USF games on BH 37 or whatever it is, because that would be the only channel carrying the Bulls.  

I think the notion to go independent is beyond nonsense for the Bulls, but I get the desperation some of us  are feeling as our situation appears to continue to get more and more bleak by the day.   

Balto's not arguing we should go independent ... just advocating creating a new division between FBS and FCS .... I think.

I know ... I just went from addressing his comment to the broader scope of independents that this thread has already gone over.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

YES!!!

Have a straight playoff. 

I know ... I just went from addressing his comment to the broader scope of independents that this thread has already gone over.  

The independent advocates are lunatics and wanted to make sure Balto wasn't unfairly lumped in with them.  :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

YES!!!

Have a straight playoff. 

Do you think Boise State, for all of their success and emulating FSU's 'play anyone, anywhere' will be anything more than an interesting storyline on ESPN's coverage of the ACC and SEC?

Contract bowls, conference (and team) networks and the conferences consolidating power in general have already irreversibly changed the landscape of college football.

It's time for USF and the others shutout to do something different, IMO.

I agree, the 'bowl game' model is outdated, the playoff model is the way to go.

Best record/highest rated G5------goes to the access bowl vs P5

2nd vs 3rd highest rated G5-----highest seed home game-- winner gets a higher payout from the P5 revs

4th vs 5th highest rated G5---- highest seed home game--winner gets a higher payout from the P5 revs

or

Best record/highest rated G5------goes to the access bowl vs P5

Seed and match the remaining 4 conference champions

MAC Champion vs Sunbelt Champion--- highest seed home game

CUSA vs Mountain West or American Champion--- highest seed home game

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615

Unless you are one of the handful of fanbases like Ohio State, USC , or Michigan I've never understood the the romantic attachment to Bowl games and being anti Playoff . The Majority of them are infomercials with a meaningless game in the background that is used to fill programming during Christmas break.

College Football would be much better with a real Playoff (16)that every Conference Winner gets in so that every program's coach can tell a recruit that even though we don't have a lot of tradition here there is a realistic path to win a Championship. All competitors want a shot on the field. If the majority of them still want to play in the SEC so be it but at least it would be a level playing field that doesn't use selection committees to determine a Champion. Or fans can be content with status quo and watch Florida State in the Orange Bowl 3 out of 5 years in the name of 'tradition'

• Upvote 1

Unless you are one of the handful of fanbases like Ohio State, USC , or Michigan I've never understood the the romantic attachment to Bowl games and being anti Playoff . The Majority of them are infomercials with a meaningless game in the background that is used to fill programming during Christmas break.

College Football would be much better with a real Playoff (16)that every Conference Winner gets in so that every program's coach can tell a recruit that even though we don't have a lot of tradition here there is a realistic path to win a Championship. All competitors want a shot on the field. If the majority of them still want to play in the SEC so be it but at least it would be a level playing field that doesn't use selection committees to determine a Champion. Or fans can be content with status quo and watch Florida State in the Orange Bowl 3 out of 5 years in the name of 'tradition'

At least someone agrees with me. Thank you!

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

At least someone agrees with me. Thank you!

Common sense has no place on this board....

That being said; very rationale thought and I agree with getting slaughtered as an indeoendenf vs being put asleep in the AAC

Drink heavily gents... Very heavily

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Good job Balto. The ONLY person that agrees with you is a UCF fan. Keep beating that drum, nobody is joining your band.

Good job Balto. The ONLY person that agrees with you is a UCF fan. Keep beating that drum, nobody is joining your band.

Time will tell. I've given you the numbers, Hem.

Edited by BaltoBull