• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug Woolard: USF Serious About an On-Campus Football Stadium Now

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

We can all agree there are a few places we might see a new stadium. 

If they put a stadium off of Maple/Holly (where the tennis courts are now), wouldn't they need to compensate for the loss of trees?  

I remember sometime around when I first arrived at USF, I was told we had one of the "greenest" universities, in terms of foliage/trees/etc. and in terms of sustainability and such. Don't we get some sort of benefits for the percentage of campus that isn't concrete? Or would that not matter/be insignificant if the ball got rolling on an OCS?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

you cant justify it if usf remains outside big 5

nothing should happen until usf starts piling up conference championships

North Texas and UNCC called.... they say you don't know what you're talking about.

Interesting.  Can't wait to watch games at the 1-800-Ask-smazza Colosseum.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

A recent thread had a USF plan with a footprint of a stadium just south of the Dome. That would be the perfect place, in amongst all the other athletic facilities.

Won't fit with the extension of the Patel Center and the two 5 story parking garages that are slated to be built there.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

I haven't heard anything about tennis moving from its current location. And there's absolutely nothing new in what Woolard's saying about the stadium. Yes, USF wants one, yes, money is the only hurdle. USF wants alums to see campus when they come for home games. At the same time, they like the experience of playing in Raymond James Stadium for now.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

They should just start an official OCS donation program and people can just start donating now. I am not sure if it's that simple.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

How about http://kylefield.com for a model?   More seriously, when we decide to do an on campus stadium, we need to forget about building an NFL type of stadium with posh amenities.  We don't need lounge areas like the RJS end zones where fans are oblivious to what is happening on the field.  That would be a major negative in my opninion and is probably the number one reason why the in game atmosphere suffers at Raymond James.  Put concession and mingling areas behind the stands.

We need corporate suites because they pay for themselves and more with the donation costs.  We need an enclosed bowl for atmosphere, and we need the ability to get up to 85,000 or so for future expansion.  That number may sound ridiculous now, but there is no telling what the future holds; it might as well be planned at the start.

The stadium should be designed for maximum noise to make it to the field, and for focus on the game.  I'm not sure we shoud even have individual seats instead of benches, or maybe a combination of both.  Notre Dame had benches and it was a great game atmosphere.  The benches at old Tampa Stadium weren't bad either.

We don't need a palace of luxuries.  We need a home for the Bulls.

Go Bulls!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Glad to hear that it's on the "to do" list and that it WON'T be done on the cheap. Now we just need some specific OCS donation rallys/campaigns to kickstart the process. I know plenty of alumni who don't currently give, but would be willing to break open the wallet towards an OCS.

Well, yeah, but he also said this:

However, Doug brought up that his next target is a $14 Million dollar indoor practice facility. 

So I think an OCS is still quite far away.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

With the lack of $ that we will be making in the AAC, short of a major donation, I just don't see this getting done for years as long as we are outside the P5.  

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

With the lack of $ that we will be making in the AAC, short of a major donation, I just don't see this getting done for years as long as we are outside the P5.  

We will be lucky to just to keep the status quo budget that we have now...Even if the state pitches in $200 million dollars (won't happen), I just don't see us raising $100 million any time soon.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

I haven't heard anything about tennis moving from its current location. And there's absolutely nothing new in what Woolard's saying about the stadium. Yes, USF wants one, yes, money is the only hurdle. USF wants alums to see campus when they come for home games. At the same time, they like the experience of playing in Raymond James Stadium for now.

Is there a graphic depicting air rapidly exiting a balloon?

When I read the story I read it as the same position we've always had, just delivered more like a politician would.