• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We were very grateful bastards, but we still would have bailed to the ACC in a Carolina Minute...

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Anyone who looks at the conference, schedule, tv deal.... whatever ... and says "we're stuck" needs to get out of the way. 

That never stopped Boise State / TCU. That shouldn't stop us. I don't give a **** what conference you're in - if you are winning, and putting 60k bodies in the stadium, and making heads turn, the rewards will come. 

Anyone who lays down and gives up at this deal, or the new conference needs to shake that mentality. 

The major issues, IMO, are two:

1. Fund raising. Once we were invited to the adult's table, we made a bunch of ongoing spending commitments predicated on an adult's level of income. If we go back to a small baby allowance, we'll need to find huge infusions of cash to cover those commitments. With our alumni base, that's going to be very difficult.

2. OOC games. Like Boise found, it will be difficult for us to schedule any decent OOC opponents even if we agree to 2-1, 3-1, or 1-n-dones. There's no upside if they win, and huge downside if they lose. This is all the more relevant now than it was for Boise because SOS is now ,part of the playoff system. We're stuck playing the ODU's and Georgia States of the world.

While we're being squeezed from access to funds, we're simultaneously being squeezed from access to competition. Essentially we're back in FCS but still spending like we're in BCS.

Yep. #2 is the killer.

I do wonder honestly, if there is a way to cancel the construction of the indoor practice facility for the time being until we can get ourselves a little more stable, pay off Skip, etc...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Days Won:  12

Anyone who looks at the conference, schedule, tv deal.... whatever ... and says "we're stuck" needs to get out of the way. 

That never stopped Boise State / TCU. That shouldn't stop us. I don't give a **** what conference you're in - if you are winning, and putting 60k bodies in the stadium, and making heads turn, the rewards will come. 

Anyone who lays down and gives up at this deal, or the new conference needs to shake that mentality. 

The major issues, IMO, are two:

1. Fund raising. Once we were invited to the adult's table, we made a bunch of ongoing spending commitments predicated on an adult's level of income. If we go back to a small baby allowance, we'll need to find huge infusions of cash to cover those commitments. With our alumni base, that's going to be very difficult.

2. OOC games. Like Boise found, it will be difficult for us to schedule any decent OOC opponents even if we agree to 2-1, 3-1, or 1-n-dones. There's no upside if they win, and huge downside if they lose. This is all the more relevant now than it was for Boise because SOS is now ,part of the playoff system. We're stuck playing the ODU's and Georgia States of the world.

While we're being squeezed from access to funds, we're simultaneously being squeezed from access to competition. Essentially we're back in FCS but still spending like we're in BCS.

Yep. #2 is the killer.

I do wonder honestly, if there is a way to cancel the construction of the indoor practice facility for the time being until we can get ourselves a little more stable, pay off Skip, etc...

I agree that we need to up scheduling. I agree that we have funding concerns. But I disagree that we have been given some kind of death sentence. Is there any reason why we can't dominate our conference, fill the stadium, etc? ECU, Boise, TCU - all these programs have a reputation for doing so. 

I just don't accept some of the excuses. It's as if people think that just because we can't be Michigan or USC that we might as well give up. What? FCS? 

Fill the stadium, win games, bring trophies to the LRS center... those are things we can control, and as a fan I intend to contribute as much as I can to that.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Winning games will help fill the stadium, but it's amazing how many of our "fans" are as (more?) interested in WHO we're playing than in THAT we're playing.

Sad but true, it will get even harder to fill the stadium as we play less and less BCS-level opponents.

It's a vicious cycle.

The ACC is the "best of the rest" not the "worst of the best" while the NBE is just CUSA2 - glorified FCS.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Winning games will help fill the stadium, but it's amazing how many of our "fans" are as (more?) interested in WHO we're playing than in THAT we're playing.

Sad but true, it will get even harder to fill the stadium as we play less and less BCS-level opponents.

It's a vicious cycle.

The ACC is the "best of the rest" not the "worst of the best" while the NBE is just CUSA2 - glorified FCS.

I think that actually "winning" will create enough enthusiasm to top 50,000 average. I think that a few years, and maybe better bowl games, will get USF the exposure needed to make a move when the time comes. I HOPE that time doesn't pass us by while we're building.

I think that we had an opportunity to play in the big boy musical chairs and missed a chair. I think there will be other oportunities in the future, but again, hope the future doesn't get here too soon.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,566
  • Days Won:  423

We were very grateful bastards, but we still would have bailed to the ACC in a Carolina Minute...

In a heartbeat ...

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  19

I think we need to identify every person who votes for AAU admittance, offer each one a $1 million bribe to vote yes for USF, and hope 51% are willing to take the money.

(that wasn't serious, unless it would actually work)

Maybe the Catholic school won't leave now, since they recently had a leadership shakeup. (these lines don't write themselves)

Anyone thought about inviting some western schools like Boise State?

TCU would be a nice pickup for the Big East.

When Mike Tanghese retires, the transition should be seamless.

If there is a conference shakeup, USF should be the first school picked.

Ok, now that is all out of my system. I think it is time to start praying, that is about all I got left.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

@weekley: AP source: Big East moving to NBC Sports Net; 6-yr deal with NBCSN for foot/hoop rights, $20M per season. http://t.co/KD5uwFom

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

@weekley: AP source: Big East moving to NBC Sports Net; 6-yr deal with NBCSN for foot/hoop rights, $20M per season. http://t.co/KD5uwFom

---------------------------------------------------------------

That's depressing! Not just less than we make now, but less than $2 million during a period of tv contract inflation. NBC Sports Network provides little exposure. And, we are stuck in it for 6 years.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Days Won:  12

Notice that no grant of rights has been signed. By us or any other school.it is clear all schools are betting on further defections