• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

Read it... I'm crushed...

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No one organization tore up the Big East. It was a collection of conferences and networks looking to make more money and beating on the weakest lamb.

Like it or not, the worst move we ever made was believing this league had value on the open market. What ESPN offered was probably around or close to what we were going to get, but thy wasn't good enough for this league.

The second worst decision? Not expanding fast enough.

The second it looked like we weren't going to match the other leagues, everyone jumped. (Remember how stupid the ACC was claimed to be for accepting $17 mil a year) It was like a bad stock, each time someone jumped the price dropped more and more.

Some on here were convinced that big TV markets would still get us big money. The problem is there aren't many fans of Houston football in Houston, or Temple football in Philly, or SMU football in Dallas. If this price is true, it shows that TV execs aren't nearly as stupid as we hoped.

Then there was everyone hitching their horses to NBC Sports. It was always a pipe dream. The network is struggling, they've got very little money. They were never going to pay us the $20 mil a year people (Pre-major raid) on here were selling some of you. It was all speculation.

We can cure this by winning. Build this current league, or maybe get in somewhere else. Regardless, without the BCS money ($2 or so mil a year) and TV money down we're going to be having a major shift in funding.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

No one organization tore up the Big East. It was a collection of conferences and networks looking to make more money and beating on the weakest lamb.

Like it or not, the worst move we ever made was believing this league had value on the open market. What ESPN offered was probably around or close to what we were going to get, but thy wasn't good enough for this league.

The second worst decision? Not expanding fast enough.

The second it looked like we weren't going to match the other leagues, everyone jumped. (Remember how stupid the ACC was claimed to be for accepting $17 mil a year) It was like a bad stock, each time someone jumped the price dropped more and more.

Some on here were convinced that big TV markets would still get us big money. The problem is there aren't many fans of Houston football in Houston, or Temple football in Philly, or SMU football in Dallas. If this price is true, it shows that TV execs aren't nearly as stupid as we hoped.

Then there was everyone hitching their horses to NBC Sports. It was always a pipe dream. The network is struggling, they've got very little money. They were never going to pay us the $20 mil a year people (Pre-major raid) on here were selling some of you. It was all speculation.

We can cure this by winning. Build this current league, or maybe get in somewhere else. Regardless, without the BCS money ($2 or so mil a year) and TV money down we're going to be having a major shift in funding.

Excellent hindsight.  Are you a great back seat driver as well?

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Go back and read what I said during all those old NBC/TV Deal threads. Same thing I just wrote. People called me a ESPN homer.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

It is interesting but it is only a blogg from some guy in Ill/Chicago.  I still see the New BE as a pretty strong BB conference.  Only time will tell if this turns into the final offer but it does seem strange the the Catholic 7 get more money - hard to wrap your arms around that and how it makes any sense at all.  Yes I read the bolgg post but don't really buy into his speculation.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

was anyone really expecting much more?

our fan base  and rest of big east need to be realistic

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Realty blows right now with our immediate future....  We NEED to win and GTFO....

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Realty blows right now with our immediate future.... We NEED to win and GTFO....

We will need more than wins to get out of the BE.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Realty blows right now with our immediate future.... We NEED to win and GTFO....

We will need more than wins to get out of the BE.

Well I'm not giving handies at truck stops again; so stop asking, I'm retired

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-02-08/big-east-catholic-7-breakup-2014-tv-contract-football-basketball-legal-battle

BASKETBALL ONLY

As I said in my previous post, ever since Marinatto left, and McMurphy joined ESPN, he has been consistently wrong and biased against the BEast

"The Big East is trying to nail down its new television contract; the

league has one for football in this coming season with ESPN, but there

is none for men’s basketball. NBC Sports is aggressively seeking a deal,

ESPN.com reported.

NBC Sports Network has verbally offered the Big East between $20 to

$23 million a year for a six-year deal to acquire the media rights for

the league, ESPN.com reported."

I'm not going for it.

If it's basketball only, then after next year, there will only be 7 members in the catholic league. That's about $3m per team just for bball.

Granted, it will be the premium basketball league in the country, but the next best league, the A10, only gets about $5m for the whole friggin conference.

"$5 million per year, split between 14 teams means each school will get a little more than $350,000 per year from the television contract."

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2012/10/3/3448664/new-atlantic-10-television-contract-shows-big-east-basketball-schools

If the A10, only gets $350,000 per team, then NWIH the C7 gets $3,000,000 per team. The numbers are too far off. The C7 will not pull in 10x the advertising revenue of the A10. Just not gonna happen.

No, I believe what NBC is bidding on is the combined football and basketball for the NBE, minus the C7. Which means we'll get about $2,000,000 per team once we go to 12 teams. Total

Sucks to be us.

You are right, it is $2 million per school for all sports (including football) ... but its just a starting point, not a contract. Negotiations will bring that money higher, I just hope we can get it up to about $5 million per (or at least what we currently get).

Ugh.

I sooooooo wanted to be wrong on this.

Well, like I said, sucks to be us.

But like you said, it's an opening bid.

Don't see it going from 2m to 5m, though.

3.5 is far more likely than 5, and 3 is probably the most we can hope for.

There is a solution...

Just win,baby!

Go Bulls!!!!

It doesn't matter if we win. We'll never get credit for any out of conference games as of course, the 'Power 5' team just won't have their hearts in the game since they are playing USF. All winning the NBE does is allow the skeptics to say, 'Well, of course USF won. They play nobody. They sure couldn't win it when Rutgers, WVA and Louisville were in the conference."

Besides, soon there will be no room left at the inn and there will be no 'elite' conference to go to anyways.

All winning does is make us king of the misfits. USF is being seriously downgraded wether we like it or not. 

I'm surprised so many posters are still optimistic. 

• Upvote 1