• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-02-08/big-east-catholic-7-breakup-2014-tv-contract-football-basketball-legal-battle

BASKETBALL ONLY

As I said in my previous post, ever since Marinatto left, and McMurphy joined ESPN, he has been consistently wrong and biased against the BEast

"The Big East is trying to nail down its new television contract; the

league has one for football in this coming season with ESPN, but there

is none for men’s basketball. NBC Sports is aggressively seeking a deal,

ESPN.com reported.

NBC Sports Network has verbally offered the Big East between $20 to

$23 million a year for a six-year deal to acquire the media rights for

the league, ESPN.com reported."

I'm not going for it.

If it's basketball only, then after next year, there will only be 7 members in the catholic league. That's about $3m per team just for bball.

Granted, it will be the premium basketball league in the country, but the next best league, the A10, only gets about $5m for the whole friggin conference.

"$5 million per year, split between 14 teams means each school will get a little more than $350,000 per year from the television contract."

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2012/10/3/3448664/new-atlantic-10-television-contract-shows-big-east-basketball-schools

If the A10, only gets $350,000 per team, then NWIH the C7 gets $3,000,000 per team. The numbers are too far off. The C7 will not pull in 10x the advertising revenue of the A10. Just not gonna happen.

No, I believe what NBC is bidding on is the combined football and basketball for the NBE, minus the C7. Which means we'll get about $2,000,000 per team once we go to 12 teams. Total

Sucks to be us.

You are right, it is $2 million per school for all sports (including football) ... but its just a starting point, not a contract. Negotiations will bring that money higher, I just hope we can get it up to about $5 million per (or at least what we currently get).

Ugh.

I sooooooo wanted to be wrong on this.

Well, like I said, sucks to be us.

But like you said, it's an opening bid.

Don't see it going from 2m to 5m, though.

3.5 is far more likely than 5, and 3 is probably the most we can hope for.

There is a solution...

Just win,baby!

Go Bulls!!!!

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-02-08/big-east-catholic-7-breakup-2014-tv-contract-football-basketball-legal-battle

BASKETBALL ONLY

As I said in my previous post, ever since Marinatto left, and McMurphy joined ESPN, he has been consistently wrong and biased against the BEast

ESPN.com reported.

I'm not going for it.

If it's basketball only, then after next year, there will only be 7 members in the catholic league. That's about $3m per team just for bball.

Granted, it will be the premium basketball league in the country, but the next best league, the A10, only gets about $5m for the whole friggin conference.

"$5 million per year, split between 14 teams means each school will get a little more than $350,000 per year from the television contract."

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2012/10/3/3448664/new-atlantic-10-television-contract-shows-big-east-basketball-schools

If the A10, only gets $350,000 per team, then NWIH the C7 gets $3,000,000 per team. The numbers are too far off. The C7 will not pull in 10x the advertising revenue of the A10. Just not gonna happen.

No, I believe what NBC is bidding on is the combined football and basketball for the NBE, minus the C7. Which means we'll get about $2,000,000 per team once we go to 12 teams. Total

Sucks to be us.

You are right, it is $2 million per school for all sports (including football) ... but its just a starting point, not a contract. Negotiations will bring that money higher, I just hope we can get it up to about $5 million per (or at least what we currently get).

Ugh.

I sooooooo wanted to be wrong on this.

Well, like I said, sucks to be us.

But like you said, it's an opening bid.

Don't see it going from 2m to 5m, though.

3.5 is far more likely than 5, and 3 is probably the most we can hope for.

There is a solution...

Just win,baby!

Go Bulls!!!!

How much it goes up will simply come down to how many groups want to acquire the rights. If NBC is the only one who cares, then it won't be a happy ending. If others can drive the bidding up, then we will be ok. I watch enough MAC games on Wednesday nights to know that Big East football has some value in the marketplace.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

BASKETBALL ONLY

ESPN.com reported.

If that true, then I can see the all-member teams making 5-6 million. I can live with that considering the crap we've been left behind with (minus UConn/Cincy.).

Nothing suggests basketball only, althought that would be a refreshing thing to hear.

The only reason I can't say this report is all that off is the fact that ESPN gets a chance to match whatever another network offers. Meaning this ESPN will know the numbers after an offer.

That being said, we'll get more from ESPN.

So much for NBC just being so desperate for programming they drop their pants.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

The C7 is terribly overrated.  Some of those schools may have a national following (arguable) but Seton Hall and DePaul perpetually stink and Providence hasnt been relevant since Billy Donovan played there.  Marquette only became relevant once D. Wade played there.  The rest of the lot are nearly 20 years removed from their former glory.  They are all small schools with small alumni bases.  They are small enrollment/big city schools that access the talent pools in Philly, NY, Chicago, etc.  That is the only reason I could see them getting any money.  

Until they get a league and contract, Im going to believe the  numbers thrown around for them were inflated and simply justification for bolting the BE.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

If there's a little hope to be had, it's in the wide disparity between Big 12/10/SEC payouts and ACC... could that compel an FSU/Miami to wiggle out of the ACC? 

As unhappy as we might be, they are unhappy, though at a different scale. Let's hope this plays out. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

The C7 is terribly overrated.  Some of those schools may have a national following (arguable) but Seton Hall and DePaul perpetually stink and Providence hasnt been relevant since Billy Donovan played there.  Marquette only became relevant once D. Wade played there.  The rest of the lot are nearly 20 years removed from their former glory.  They are all small schools with small alumni bases.  They are small enrollment/big city schools that access the talent pools in Philly, NY, Chicago, etc.  That is the only reason I could see them getting any money.  

Until they get a league and contract, Im going to believe the  numbers thrown around for them were inflated and simply justification for bolting the BE.

Being old like I am I know that Marquette has been relevant for many years.  Does the name McGuire ring a bell ?

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  4,642

Conference news only keeps getting worse for us!

:(

Will it ever get better?

it will after we win a national championship and we're more than 100 years old.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The McMurphy hate wagon rides on. Wasn't it over a year ago when McMurphy indicated the Big East would POTENTIALLY get less than half of the deal it was lobbying for - and then the message board pundits went nuts on him saying NBC would save the day and pay each of the Big East schools close to $20M a season (although more realistically we were thinking $15M). People were going off the deep end and were like "F'off to ESPN and McMurphy". Maybe I'm wrong on this one... that's just how I remember it. Since then, the Big East has imploded. Now, we're getting an offer of $2M a season. Just curious... how is McMurphy wrong on this one? I know everyone has a distaste for an ex-g/f that kicks you to the curb, but geez... McMurphy helped USF get rid of the Leavitt problem (wallowing away in 3-4 seasons in the Big East when on paper we had the best talent). The Skip experiment/extenstion wasn't on McMurphy... that was just a bad hire from the brain trusts at USF (no other way to look at it). Re-signing Heath last year made some sense IMO... although we definitely need to see some improvement next season. That again was an internal decision. If USF would win - McMurphy would have something positive to write about. Until then, it will be shot after shot to the bow of the Big East (which is a sorry-ass conference to say the least currently - and only getting worse). It's funny how we can internally look at ourselves and realize our conference is cowdung - but if some critic says the same thing, the sky is falling. Wonder if some of you received too many participation trophies as kids growing up (and no, I'm not picking out any one person - just the general feeling on a bunch of threads on the forum).

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Sheriff,

Some of our fans hitched their wagons to the blind belief that a failing sports TV network would over pay and start the war that ends ESPN's reign as the sports leader.

That was never really true. NBC would have done the same thing they did with baseball and soccer, some half hearted offer knowing overpayment would kill the network faster than not paying at all.

This directly reflects that attitude.

Sign with ESPN for 4-5 mil and move on.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

The McMurphy hate wagon rides on....

I think McMurphy gets a little too much hate from USF. He tells it like it is for the most part. We're all homers so we see things a little differently, but I think we give him too much ****.