• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

Why wouldnt ESPN match this?  20M is chump change, will deprive a competing network of inventory and they get UCONN hoops which has as won more national championships in the last 25 years than the entire C7?  

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

I think ESPN will offer more.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Anyone who looks at the conference, schedule, tv deal.... whatever ... and says "we're stuck" needs to get out of the way. 

That never stopped Boise State / TCU. That shouldn't stop us. I don't give a **** what conference you're in - if you are winning, and putting 60k bodies in the stadium, and making heads turn, the rewards will come. 

Anyone who lays down and gives up at this deal, or the new conference needs to shake that mentality. 

The major issues, IMO, are two:

1. Fund raising. Once we were invited to the adult's table, we made a bunch of ongoing spending commitments predicated on an adult's level of income. If we go back to a small baby allowance, we'll need to find huge infusions of cash to cover those commitments. With our alumni base, that's going to be very difficult.

2. OOC games. Like Boise found, it will be difficult for us to schedule any decent OOC opponents even if we agree to 2-1, 3-1, or 1-n-dones. There's no upside if they win, and huge downside if they lose. This is all the more relevant now than it was for Boise because SOS is now ,part of the playoff system. We're stuck playing the ODU's and Georgia States of the world.

While we're being squeezed from access to funds, we're simultaneously being squeezed from access to competition. Essentially we're back in FCS but still spending like we're in BCS.

There should be some concern about finances but don't forget the 70 million sitting in the BE coffers with more to come.  There will be some kind of split with the Catholic 7 but there should be plenty left for Cinci,UConn and USF.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,804

Can anyone answer if this deal is for Tier one rights only or all three? The positve out of all of this is we would be able to see every game on TV. I for one am tired the ESPN 3 and the other assorted options like SUNY which I dont even have.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

If anything, it makes it worse.

Comcast is dropping a ton of coin in GE's pocket. That's coin that Comcast no longer has to pay for content. Add this to Comcast's conservative, penny-pinching attitude, and it makes a bad situation worse.

Not only are they low-balling us, they won't have much motivation to cross-network advertise our games to generate additional viewers. We're lost in limbo land.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

I sure hope we don't sign a 6 year deal for that amount. Give them a one year with option for another, but to lock us in at a low amount for over half a decade is crazy.

Go Bulls!

Agree.

If it's only $20, let's make it a short-term deal. But then, we may just shoot ourselves in the feet. Think about it, who will be watching? NONE of the nBE schools even own their HOME market, much less any kind of national audience, other than Navy.

School - Most popular football school in their OWN hometown

Memphis - Volunteers

USF and Central Florida - Gators and Noles

SMU - Longhorns and Frogs

Houston - Longhorns and Aggies

Tulane - LSU

East Carolina - UNC, NCSU, and Duke

Cincinnati - Buckeyes on the north and UK Wildcats on the south

Temple - Penn State

Navy - Terrapins and Hokies

and UCONN doesn't even HAVE a home market (at least not for football)

Can anyone answer if this deal is for Tier one rights only or all three? The positve out of all of this is we would be able to see every game on TV. I for one am tired the ESPN 3 and the other assorted options like SUNY which I dont even have.

Unlikely that every game will be on TV. Some will be on Versus, most will be on the web.

Probably very few will ever end up on the NBC over-the-air network. Maybe 4 games/ year or so?

Edited by charsibb

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,986
  • Days Won:  12

I am truly shocked that the Big East is seriously contemplating this low ball, first offer. I thought they would at least negotiate, hold off, etc. 

I want to hear a statement from Doug, or Aresco. Even though they will not tell it like it is. I want to know what the hell happened. 

I am truly shocked that the Big East is seriously contemplating this low ball, first offer. I thought they would at least negotiate, hold off, etc. 

I want to hear a statement from Doug, or Aresco. Even though they will not tell it like it is. I want to know what the hell happened. 

Um, perhaps because NO ONE ELSE is offering?

Like I said in post #110 - nobody wants to watch us play, why should anyone want to broadcast us?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Um, perhaps because NO ONE ELSE is offering?

Like I said in post #110 - nobody wants to watch us play, why should anyone want to broadcast us?

The other networks already have CFB, they don't need the Big East. Fox needed premium basketball so they offered the C7 a ton of money to split from the BE and left BE Football to rot.