• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  185
  • Days Won:  0

I think it's absurd that the catholic seven are being offered almost double just for basketball! It's not even like all of those teams are great, Seton Hall, Providence, St. Johns(has been better but still not top 25) and Depaul that's more than half of those teams. We still have basketball teams that are equivalent to their top schools(UCONN, Memphis, Cinci, Temple) and our others are just as good if not better than the previously mentioned teams. Plus our deal adds football(most profitable sport) with our huge TV markets.

It just doesn't add up? All of those schools have small enrollments and not many alum compared to the NBE. The only saving grace for us is that recruiting costs will be low and we don't have a stadium we have to pay for but this better not be a long term thing otherwise I would go Independent. Play anyone anywhere just for the money and to say we play the best teams which recruits would like. Think about it just two away games would almost pay for that deal with most BCS schools having to pay 1 mil+ for their home OOC games. 

As for the marketing effect it could be a negative for us just like some have posted where people are used to ESPN or maybe they don't like the announcers that NBC uses?  Also it's not like they would be promoting us during the week as much as ESPN would be in addition to the weekday games that have really helped with getting our name out there. Something smells fishy about this offer, it's an insult in my opinion and I doubt they were trying to low ball us b/c it's something I would laugh at and just start my own cable channel, as well as offering the games through the internet. Which should be easy for the conference to start up and probably generate more money through advertising and local broadcasting rights. We need our new Commish who supposedly knows this aspect to play hardball and start showing some initiative and say we'll do it ourselves if you won't pay us. He should know how to start up a broadcasting company with his experience!

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

The Big East will be promoted on regular NBC stations. Unfortunately its not CBS, which has about 3x the viewers in the 18-49 year old category.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,990
  • Days Won:  12

If - in the course of three to five years - we average 50K in RayJ agasint Memphis, ECU, Tulsa and SMU, getting eyes on TV in Memphis, Tulsa, Greenville, North Carolina  and the Cypress Crossing Phase II sub-division of Dallas, it will be a case for believing in miracles. Averaging 50K...'averaging'? The television contract is negotiated with the conference, which means that the tallest midget is, ultimately, still a midget. We can win util the cows come home, and we'll still have to hear "Uh, yeah...but who exactly do you play, again?".  If - and that's a giant if - USF finds itself anywhere with more prestige/clout/credibility/appeal/fame than CUSA-II within the next DECADE, I'd be shocked. 

The "we can't" attitude just amazes me. 

TCU went from MWC to Big 12. Utah went from MWC to Pac12. Boise State wins BCS bowl games and beats UGA, Oregon, VaTech, etc. They were playing in about an equivalent conference to the new big east. I wonder if their fans said "to hell with this" and just gave up and went home? 

I don't understand this sentiment or message. To those who are posting along this same vein of negativity... what do you want? What is your point? Why do some feel compelled to say "we suck, this sucks, we give up"?

If I'm the only crazy person here who actually believes in us, and thinks if we have another boom that we'll be just fine, so be it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

If - in the course of three to five years - we average 50K in RayJ agasint Memphis, ECU, Tulsa and SMU, getting eyes on TV in Memphis, Tulsa, Greenville, North Carolina  and the Cypress Crossing Phase II sub-division of Dallas, it will be a case for believing in miracles. Averaging 50K...'averaging'? The television contract is negotiated with the conference, which means that the tallest midget is, ultimately, still a midget. We can win util the cows come home, and we'll still have to hear "Uh, yeah...but who exactly do you play, again?".  If - and that's a giant if - USF finds itself anywhere with more prestige/clout/credibility/appeal/fame than CUSA-II within the next DECADE, I'd be shocked. 

TCU went from MWC to Big 12. Utah went from MWC to Pac12. Boise State wins BCS bowl games and beats UGA, Oregon, VaTech, etc. They were playing in about an equivalent conference to the new big east. I wonder if their fans said "to hell with this" and just gave up and went home? 

I don't understand this sentiment or message. To those who are posting along this same vein of negativity... what do you want? What is your point? Why do some feel compelled to say "we suck, this sucks, we give up"?

If I'm the only crazy person here who actually believes in us, and thinks if we have another boom that we'll be just fine, so be it.

+1

I don't see why we can't lose 1 game or go undefeated like Boise does and get a chance in high quality bowl games and possibly the playoff if we can have consistency... If we're able to do that with our market people will come calling and we'll build a great fanbase for the future... 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

Here is the problem. Schools don't leave the power conferences any more. When all the slots are full, if we aren't inside the barn, then we won't get to dance.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

If there isn't enough seats to sit in then we build our own... Win and win a lot... that's all we can do...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I'm there with you. We also need to publicly state that we will play any "big boy" school any time, any where!

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

The more I read this, the more I'm convinced us, cinci, uconn, and ucf have near plans to bail. The lack of stability drove the price down, and the future expansion will keep them down

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

The more I read this, the more I'm convinced us, cinci, uconn, and ucf have near plans to bail. The lack of stability drove the price down, and the future expansion will keep them down

God I hope you're right.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think at this point, everyone's got a plan to bail.  Some have just been more public about it than others.  You have to have multiple plans for this type of situation because odds are the chips aren't going to fall exactly the way anyone expects - at least they haven't to this point.