• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official Assistant Coaches Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I'd be surprised if there are many high school coaches that move up to D I football and get a coordinator position. I would guess that position coach is the first step. Can't bring Manatee's playbook to this level. Some transitioning would be in order.

There aren't many, but one is Gus Malzahn. He went from HS coach to the OC at Arkansas in the SEC in 2006. 6 years later and he's the head coach at Auburn.

Yeah, it doesn't happen very often, but a bigger jump has been made in the past. Willie calls the plays in his offense. Malzahn called the plays are Arkansas. So not only was it a jump to a bigger school, it was a jump to more responsibility.

I would and wouldn't be surprised if Kinnan actually came as the OC. Tag needs a value hire at OC to fill out the rest of the staff with qualified individuals like Shannon.

chad morris the OC at clemson was a high school coach 3 years ago. he is now highest paid OC in country. I think like Trip said it's more of a figurehead anyway as Taggart runs his own offense. why not use it to build relationships in the area? more of an ambassador than actual coordinator. I like it.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Days Won:  10

Kinnan may have the skill set (I will have to trust CWT on this), but I'm thinking that a position coaching position would be a much better transition.

I just keep thinking "Gerry Faust".

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If he comes on the cheap (Kinnan) sounds good to me.

What about Weiner? Hear he is a great recruiter.

• Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I wouldn't mind seeing Kinnan as a QB or other offensive coaching position with Mario Cristobal as OC. Not sure if Cristobal and Taggart are linked at all, but would be interesting.

Kinnan may have the skill set (I will have to trust CWT on this), but I'm thinking that a position coaching position would be a much better transition.

I just keep thinking "Gerry Faust".

he's not going to have play calling responsibilities. essentially he will be a position coach just with the title of OC.

I think it shows a tremendous amoun of respect to the area high schools that all know what a great coach he has been. he won 5 state titles and has put loads of kids into d-1a programs.he will be a huge asset.

Edited by Bull94

I wouldn't mind seeing Kinnan as a QB or other offensive coaching position with Mario Cristobal as OC. Not sure if Cristobal and Taggart are linked at all, but would be interesting.

OC will just be a figurehead for us. no one who actually wants the responsibility of calling plays will take the job. Taggart calls all the plays.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

:roflmao:

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  818
  • Days Won:  2

can we have a Woodie and a Weiner at the same time? Sounds like a double team if you ask me.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Days Won:  10

Just playing devil's advocate for "Kinnan to OC", but would it be more beneficial to the program to have him continue at the H.S. where he has been so successful and feed us the top players from that vantage point?

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  818
  • Days Won:  2

Just playing devil's advocate for "Kinnan to OC", but would it be more beneficial to the program to have him continue at the H.S. where he has been so successful and feed us the top players from that vantage point?

as much as i admire and respect Joe, he might be too old for the move. i can't see him travelling around recruiting heavily. i'd prefer to see him stay at Manatee and be USF's farm program.