• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official Assistant Coaches Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

This is publicly available on the Alabama 247sports board:

http://alabama.247sports.com/Board/116/Kevin-Steele-is-interested-in-USF-coordinator-job--14996159/1

I don't think anyone will mind if I post what he had here:

Josh Newberg13150 posts

I'll keep this update short and to the point. I'm hearing a few more names that have interest in the USF defensive coordinator position.

* Former Alabama DC and Clemson DC Kevin Steele is currently unemployed and a good source tells me he is interested in the job. Steele was also LB's coach at FSU from 2002-2006. Steele has also coached DB's, LB's and was a head coach at Baylor in his long coaching career. He's known as a great recruiter.

* I've also learned that current FSU LB coach Greg Hudson is interested in the job. He was the DC at ECU under Skip Holtz before leaving for FSU 3 years ago.

* It seems that we've identified a leader in the DC race. A source with direct knowledge has informed us that USF's main focus right now is landing current TCU LB coach Randy Shannon. As of now there has been no interview or job offer, but as we've said, that will likely happen once the dead period begins on Monday.

* I expect USF to make several assistant coaching hires next week.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Why is Steele unemployed if he's any good?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Something tells me this week will be the week we hear something. C'mon Shannon! We need you here!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Randy Shannon as our DC on the surface seems like a heck of a hire, but mostly for his history and ties in the state of Florida. Not sure whether he's really a good DC - great record while driving a proverbial Lambo at UM over a decade ago doesn't tell us for sure. But I am optimistic with CWT at the helm.

• Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Shannon is a great DC, just an average HC

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

In terms of options for USF, Shannon is clearly the best candidate available. Solid recruiter. Solid reputation. Former head coach, so to whatever extent necessary he can collaborate with CWT on big decisions. ANY hire has risks, so obviously no one can guarantee we'll have a top ten defense. But I'd gladly gamble on Shannon.

Shannon > Cosh. It would be QUITE an upgrade from last year!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,645
  • Days Won:  424

Something tells me this week will be the week we hear something.

Something obviously = TG8/Josh Newberg:

This is publicly available on the Alabama 247sports board:

http://alabama.247sp...job--14996159/1

I don't think anyone will mind if I post what he had here:

Josh Newberg13150 posts

I'll keep this update short and to the point. I'm hearing a few more names that have interest in the USF defensive coordinator position.

* Former Alabama DC and Clemson DC Kevin Steele is currently unemployed and a good source tells me he is interested in the job. Steele was also LB's coach at FSU from 2002-2006. Steele has also coached DB's, LB's and was a head coach at Baylor in his long coaching career. He's known as a great recruiter.

* I've also learned that current FSU LB coach Greg Hudson is interested in the job. He was the DC at ECU under Skip Holtz before leaving for FSU 3 years ago.

* It seems that we've identified a leader in the DC race. A source with direct knowledge has informed us that USF's main focus right now is landing current TCU LB coach Randy Shannon. As of now there has been no interview or job offer, but as we've said, that will likely happen once the dead period begins on Monday.

* I expect USF to make several assistant coaching hires next week.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Yes, it was UM, but no matter who you are, you still need to coach em up. Shannon is an icon in Miami. I'd bet $$ to donuts that our recruiting in Miami would improve dramatically.

During Shannon's six years as UM's defensive coordinator, his defenses ranked as follows in total defense nationally: