• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz understands our frustrations

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

That would be an idiotic move on his part. He would never get a coaching job at any level again.

Who would hire a coach that by his own actions is saying "I don't believe I can get the job done so I'll just step down".

Although he hasn't proven himself at a BCS level yet, he has proven he is a decent college coach.

In his mind he should be thinking that we can turn this around.

No one is going to walk away from $2.5 mill.

Coaching is a job to these guys. Think about what you would do in your own job. Even if things are rough, you wouldn't think you could get the job done? Every true professional at any meaningful job that I know believes he can get the job done.

you mean like mark snyder?

not that I expect holtz to resign

Ummmm. what ya talking about?

Even though they termed his leaving Marshall a "resignation". Make no mistake, that was a negotiated termination. Marshall paid the full amount of the last three years of his contract. He didn't simply walk away out of embarrasment for the program or because the fans didn't like him.

Are you talking about him leaving USF? He doubled his salary to go to Texas A&M.

so why term it as a resignation when he left Marshall if he was in essence terminated?

Could be any number of reasons. He was a Marshall alum, new AD wanted to bring in his own guy, etc. Who knows?

As far as being relevant to the "hoping Holtz will just walk away" situation. Snyder took home the remaining 3 years of his contract. Not a bad deal for being forced out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4698127

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

That would be an idiotic move on his part. He would never get a coaching job at any level again.

Who would hire a coach that by his own actions is saying "I don't believe I can get the job done so I'll just step down".

Although he hasn't proven himself at a BCS level yet, he has proven he is a decent college coach.

In his mind he should be thinking that we can turn this around.

No one is going to walk away from $2.5 mill.

Coaching is a job to these guys. Think about what you would do in your own job. Even if things are rough, you wouldn't think you could get the job done? Every true professional at any meaningful job that I know believes he can get the job done.

you mean like mark snyder?

not that I expect holtz to resign

Ummmm. what ya talking about?

Even though they termed his leaving Marshall a "resignation". Make no mistake, that was a negotiated termination. Marshall paid the full amount of the last three years of his contract. He didn't simply walk away out of embarrasment for the program or because the fans didn't like him.

Are you talking about him leaving USF? He doubled his salary to go to Texas A&M.

so why term it as a resignation when he left Marshall if he was in essence terminated?

Could be any number of reasons. He was a Marshall alum, new AD wanted to bring in his own guy, etc. Who knows?

As far as being relevant to the "hoping Holtz will just walk away" situation. Snyder took home the remaining 3 years of his contract. Not a bad deal for being forced out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4698127

i don't think anybody thinks realistically thinks he would walk away with no kind of compensation

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

I'm only willing to give Holtz a pass on this year and another to work things out if he fires Cosh and Fitch. If he doesn't, f him and he can gtfo of Tampa and never show his face again for all I care.

I think I would too. Skip isn't a game plan coach. Which is fine if your coordinators are great. Ours suck

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

"From a win-loss standpoint, it would be hard to argue that we haven't (taken a step back). It would be very hard to argue that," Holtz said. "I look at where we are from a competitive standpoint. In 2½ years, there's been one half of football where we haven't been competitive, and that's the second half of the Pitt game (in 2011).

One other thing about this quote.....I don't agree with it. Holtz whole tenure here has been 2.5 seasons. So that includes the 2010 games. I don't think USF was "competitive" in the 2nd half of the UF game where the final was 38-14.....or the 1st half of the 2010 WVU where we went into the half down 17-3 and lost the game 20-6.

Somehow I think Skip's definition of "Competitive" is a lot different than anyone elses.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

bullspen: "he doesnt take responsibility"

holtz: "i am responsible"

bullspen: "well... still... fire him!"

the man is taking responsibility and communicating the things we wanted to hear. the holtz era is not over.

if you don't like him at this point its your problem not his.

coachspeak. he's been saying that for 3 weeks now. if you actually take responsibility, something should be changed or coached or fixed. the team has not improved at all, and if it has, another area has gone unchecked and cost us.

obviously, coaches do not speak very specific, but i haven't heard anything resembling any sort of detail like "we're going to work on play calls that work," or "we're going to do pass rushing drills," or "we're going to move some players around and try a few new things." instead all we hear is "We're going to go out there and roll up our sleeves."

Amazing, isn't it? That's exactly what Jimbo Fisher said after the loss to NC State. Fire him, too?

It doesn't matter what he says, hm101. Here, it's falling on deaf ears. Wins are the only thing that will fix the whining and complaining, not words.

Skip, knows that, too. He just can't say, "**** you people, we're working on it.", so he has to say something because silence makes it worse.

It's not the fact that we are losing, it is how we are losing and who we are losing to. We have consistently lost close games in the second half. That is almost entirely coaching. That is what is so frustrating. We aren't consistently winning close games. I will give you the Nevada game, but that took 2 hail marys after we were beaten in every facet of the game for almost 3 quarters. I don't think that anyone who is complaining after what amounts to almost two straight seasons of ineptitude. We haven't had a barrage of unfortunate injuries. We haven't been decimated by graduation.

Coach Holtz can save his weak lip service, at this point only results are going to matter. If I consistently disappointed my boss for two consecutive years, I would be seeking new employment. He is going to get another season, but he hasn't shown me squat as a head coach.

I agree with all of your observations. Winning fixes all. I'd a soon he said nothing, but he can't do that either.

Edited by swamprat

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

Great, he understands. What's he going to do differently against Louisville?

I'm sure Louisville would like to know, too. He should have a special news conference to outline plan of attack. The Cards won't watch, seriously.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He's a moral victory type coach.

Someone said it right. He wants to be close in the 4th with a chance. He needs a mentality change. We need to be trying to blow out every team so that in the 4th the second stringers get some burn.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

He's a moral victory type coach.

Someone said it right. He wants to be close in the 4th with a chance. He needs a mentality change. We need to be trying to blow out every team so that in the 4th the second stringers get some burn.

This. I don't want to be competitive in the 4th quarter. I want to have STATEMENT WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES, preferably by halftime.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'm sure Louisville would like to know, too. He should have a special news conference to outline plan of attack. The Cards won't watch, seriously.

Not at all what I meant, but your snarky comment was funny. :thumbsup: I'd be ecstatic if Skip really tried something out of the norm on both offense and defense against Louisville. If we're going to stink, I'd still love to see some creative fight in this coaching staff. I just don't think it's in his nature. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Not at all what I meant, but your snarky comment was funny. :thumbsup: I'd be ecstatic if Skip really tried something out of the norm on both offense and defense against Louisville. If we're going to stink, I'd still love to see some creative fight in this coaching staff. I just don't think it's in his nature. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

Rush 5 every down please. Rush 6 on 3rd downs. Just be f'ing aggressive.