• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Plan !

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,700
  • Days Won:  108

The problem is our other options aren't nearly as mobile as BJ. As poorly as BJ played (and he was awful) the entire offensive line was much worse. There is no way a pocket passer could have kept it close.

That being said, as much talent as BJ has it is so hard to watch. His decision making is just so poor. If he could just learn to read defenses a little we could have a very effective option attack. If I am Fitch I start runnign the option against FSU, but rather than spending more time w/ BJ trying to teach him I just tell him to use the same thought process you have used for the past 3 years, but do the exact opposite of what you think you should do! If you think you want ot keep it, hand it off!

BJ is great at running read option. he ran it to perfection against UF for a quarter and a half. over 100 rushing in first half. and then we decided to throw the ball......

Correct. When he was a recruit he was the 8th best dual threat - not "traditional" (or whatever term they use) QB. Skip has spent 3 years trying to make him a drop back QB.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

The problem is our other options aren't nearly as mobile as BJ. As poorly as BJ played (and he was awful) the entire offensive line was much worse. There is no way a pocket passer could have kept it close.

That being said, as much talent as BJ has it is so hard to watch. His decision making is just so poor. If he could just learn to read defenses a little we could have a very effective option attack. If I am Fitch I start runnign the option against FSU, but rather than spending more time w/ BJ trying to teach him I just tell him to use the same thought process you have used for the past 3 years, but do the exact opposite of what you think you should do! If you think you want ot keep it, hand it off!

BJ is great at running read option. he ran it to perfection against UF for a quarter and a half. over 100 rushing in first half. and then we decided to throw the ball......

Correct. When he was a recruit he was the 8th best dual threat - not "traditional" (or whatever term they use) QB. Skip has spent 3 years trying to make him a drop back QB.

I don't understand how the coaches don't see it. his strength is not passing the ball. his splits should be 50/50. not 3 passes for every run.

passing isn't a strength for any dual threat. people think it will be different with Woulard but that kid needs polish. he will need to be developed. he is raw at the position. He will not come in and sit back in the pocket and pick defenses apart.

Holtz has given me no faith in his player talent evaluation and dual threat development. if he were good at either he would realize Bj needs to run read option and pass 15 times a game or he would have urned him into a pocket passer like he wants him to be.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The problem is that BJ was recruited to run the read option (although struggled with it under Leavitt in the beginning), but Fitch and Holtz don't embrace it as their base offensive philosophy.

I have said it before, but I don't really understand what Holtz/Fitch offensive philosophy is. The first year they didn't want BJ to run so much because there was no backup, but their really weren't any receivers. Last year they let him run a little more. This year its just bombs away and hope for the best.

They don't really try to work the ball up the field. It seems like all or nothing so far this year.

That's probably an over simplification, but that what it seems.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

With this team "speed" we should be running sweeps, read options, slants, misdirection, man to man D, stunts, and an occasional blitz.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

It's too early to bench BJ. I do think we need to get Floyd as many reps as possible to get him ready for next season.

WHAT??????

He should have never started last year!

I'm not sure what Skip or for that fact anyone sees in BJ as a QB.

Use him as a WR and/wildcat position because he is an athlete

But, Please God, give someone the sense to play a real QB!!!

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

BJ is great as a runner. He makes somehting out of nothing, if we could get a mediocre o-line he is effective on designed runs, but read options have never been his strength. Even early in his career when we ran them more often, he seemed actually less effective then in defined QB runs.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Stanford kept getting pressure right in Barkley's face. His team lost to them for the 4th straight time.

Even good, pro type qbs can't do anything if pressure is right in their face

Edited by DELdaBull

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

With this team "speed" we should be running sweeps, read options, slants, misdirection, man to man D, stunts, and an occasional blitz.

+ freakin' one.

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

+ freakin' one.

I am surprised the offense has not used more screens to WR. The depth and team speed is there to spread teams out. It appears the coaching staff is content with chucking the ball deep.