• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting: UCF gaining ground on USF in the bay area?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

http://www.tampabay....bay-area/14260/

Recruiting: UCF gaining ground on USF in the bay area?

Search

TBHomeTeam Recruiting war on I-4? USF and UCF are fighting over a lot of the same bay area recruits, w/ UCF gaining ground. tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/… about 1 hour ago · reply · retweet · favorite

MattHomeTeam I enjoy watching Mitchell run 7 on 7 passing stuff....out of the Wing T about 1 hour ago · reply · retweet · favorite

MattHomeTeam Arrived fashionably late to 7 on 7 at Anclote. Sun! about 1 hour ago · reply · retweet · favorite

LauraHomeTeam RT @BTNTomDienhart: Penn State players have until start of fall camp (Aug. 6) to transfer or stay. 3 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1144782699/Joey_K_normal

JoeyHomeTeam My blog past regarding Plant-Jesuit, and what we know at this moment. tampabay.com/blogs/hometeam… 4 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

JoeyHomeTeam Plant coach Robert Weiner: "I have just been told it will not be on Friday night. No word yet on when it will be." 5 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

JoeyHomeTeam Nelson: 'We have not established a date and time yet and are continuing to work with Jesuit." 5 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

JoeyHomeTeam Okay, let's end this speculation (for now): Plant principal Robert Nelson says date/time for Plant-Jesuit football still not set. 5 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/2176638523/image_normal.jpg

JohnnyHometeam Hear its raining everywhere in state today but UCF campus, where it is sunny and prospects ride unicorns across campus. amirite @chiucfgal? 5 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/384508759/Picture_3_normal.png

TBHomeTeam Up today in our district football series. Is 3A-5 #CCC's for the taking? Or is #Berkeley still the best? tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/… 6 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

http://widgets.twimg.com/i/widget-bird.png Join the conversation

MORE from our HomeTeam writers.

Facebook

advertisement

More Video

ADVERTISEMENT

Facebook

Email

Tue. July 24, 2012 | Matt Baker | Email

http://hometeam.s3.a..._football_1.JPG

TAMPA — As the on-field rivalry between UCF and USF prepares to heat up when they become conference mates in July 2013, the I-4 rivalry has already boiled over on high school football fields and campuses across Tampa Bay.

UCF has invaded the Bulls’ backyard. The Knights are poised to land their first USF targets in Tampa Bay in a decade. Two other in-state recruits have committed to UCF over the Bulls.

One of the area’s top talents, Armwood receiver Alvin Bailey, has ruled out the Bulls but is still considering UCF. USF fans on message boards are worried their rivals have invaded the Bulls’ biggest recruiting grounds.

“I think the (USF) fan base’s concerns about how UCF is recruiting there are valid, for sure,†said Chris Nee, a Florida recruiting analyst for Rivals.com.

UCF and USF battling for the same recruits is nothing new. Since 2006, 53 players signed with either school after landing offers from both, according to Rivals: 27 signed with the Knights, and 26 signed with the Bulls.

One star even signed with both schools. Coming out of Deerfield Beach High in 2007, defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul inked with UCF but went to junior college instead. Two years later the future New York Giants all-pro starred at USF.

But in vying for hometown players, the I-4 corridor has traditionally been a one-way road: From Orlando to Tampa.

“As much publicity as UCF is getting this year, USF has been raiding the Orlando area the past few years,†said Josh Newberg, a recruiting analyst for 247Sports.com.

From 2006-12, USF landed six of the eight Orlando-area players who chose either school but had offers from both, according to Rivals. Since the site began tracking recruiting in 2002, only one local player — Largo offensive lineman Dan Veenstra (2002) — spurned a USF offer to join the Knights.

But cracks could be showing in the Bulls’ wall around Tampa Bay. East Lake quarterback Pete DiNovo and Tampa Bay Tech athlete Richard Benjamin had offers from USF but committed to the Knights this month.

After visiting the Orlando campus last week, Freedom defensive back Nate Godwin said he’d put the Knights in his top four with USF, West Virginia and Iowa State if they offered him a scholarship. Bailey, the Armwood receiver and Rivals’ No. 132 national prospect, lists the Knights alongside programs like Notre Dame, Florida State and Auburn.

“They’re really recruiting their tails off,†said defensive end Jordan Sherit, a four-star Hillsborough High prospect with offers from both programs. “They’re valuing this area more than any other.â€

Recruits point to a handful of reasons why UCF is gaining on the Bulls locally. No. 1: The facilities, which include an indoor practice facility, private dorm rooms, an on-campus stadium and amenities ranging from pizza shops to a GameStop.

“If I was to go there, I wouldn’t even leave campus,†Freedom’s Godwin said.

The Knights’ move to the Big East erased the stigma of being outside of a BCS conference. Benjamin said he wouldn’t have considered UCF if it stayed in Conference USA.

New Knights assistant Kirk Callahan has Tampa Bay ties as an Armwood graduate and the son of Hawks coach Sean Callahan. That helped UCF land offensive lineman Aaron Evans from Seffner last month. But Callahan is more than just a name. After stints as a graduate assistant under great recruiters Urban Meyer at Florida and Butch Davis at North Carolina, he is proving he can recruit as his own man.

But recruits and analysts say UCF’s most important recruiter could become DiNovo.

“By us committing, it kinda opened up some doors to some kids,†DiNovo said. “That kind of opened their eyes.â€

DiNovo is a popular quarterback who helped lead Team Tampa to a 7-on-7 national championship. That all-star lineup includes prospects Sherit, Godwin, Miami commit Travis Johnson and East Lake junior receiver Artavis Scott — all of whom DiNovo talked into recent UCF visits.

“I only knew so much about UCF,†said Lakewood safety Shaquem Griffin, another Team Tampa member who claims an offer from the Bulls. “But Pete told me and my brother about it, and the more he told us, the more excited I got.â€

Rivals ranks the schools’ 2013 recruiting classes nearly even: UCF is No. 60 nationally, one spot ahead of the Bulls.

Newberg says, though, that USF is winning the recruiting war, and DiNovo and Benjamin are offset by the Bulls’ efforts in Orlando.

“Get Alvin Bailey,’’ he said, “and now you have my attention.â€

Despite UCF’s Tampa Bay invasion, the Bulls are having one of their top local years ever. Four area players — Plant linebacker Mitchell Wright, Jesuit offensive lineman Cameron Ruff and Robinson linemen Bruce Hector and Conner Rafferty — have already committed. USF hasn’t signed that many local players since 2009.

The Bulls, unofficially, have offered 32 area prospects, 17 more than UCF.

USF continues to raid Orlando, too. Bulls commit Asiantii Woulard (Winter Park) was just named ESPN’s No. 1 dual-threat quarterback Tuesday, and Orlando Freedom receiver Jeff Badet is expected to announce his USF commitment on his birthday next week, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

“You have to remember in recruiting, there are highs and lows,†247’s Newberg said, “and right now UCF is riding a high.â€

The Bulls have six months until national signing day to change that.

Staff writer John C. Cotey contributed to this report. Matt Baker can be reached at mbaker@tampabay.com.

Catching up

UCF appears to be making strides in Tampa Bay this season, but the Knights have narrowed the recruiting gap with USF over the past three years.

2005-09

USF

Average recruiting class rank: 50

Three-star recruits: 51

Four-star recruits: 9

Five-star recruits: 1

Times ranked higher than UCF: 5

UCF

Average recruiting class rank: 65

Three-star recruits: 34

Four-star recruits: 2

Five-star recruits: 0

Times ranked higher than USF: 0

2010-12

USF

Average recruiting class rank: 58

Three-star recruits: 43

Four-star recruits: 5

Times ranked higher than UCF: 1

UCF

Average recruiting class rank: 62

Three-star recruits: 44

Four-star recruits: 5

Times ranked higher than USF: 2

Source: Rivals.com<p>

Teams in post

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Hmmmm

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Not really sure why anyone would want to play for UCF when they have an offer from USF. I am a little confused by this post.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Not really sure why anyone would want to play for UCF when they have an offer from USF. I am a little confused by this post.

Doesn't surprise me. As a current student at USF I can tell you most kids that go to USF are from the Orlando area and I bet many UCF students are from Tampa (At least the ones that don't value their education). You could probably write the same thing about USF outrecruiting UCF in Orlando; kids wanna stay close to home, but not THAT close to home.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

Doesn't surprise me. As a current student at USF I can tell you most kids that go to USF are from the Orlando area and I bet many UCF students are from Tampa (At least the ones that don't value their education). You could probably write the same thing about USF outrecruiting UCF in Orlando; kids wanna stay close to home, but not THAT close to home.

since this new regime, we just dominate that orlando area.

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Isn't the recent RB commit, Kemp, from Orlando as well?

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

Their frying pan really does help. Wouldn't be pulling these recruits in if they still played in the Citrus Bowl.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

I agree with this analysis. The motive to be close to home, but not 'too close,' comprises a plausible theory for this occurrence. Some college students probably like to have visits with the family and have help when necessary, but not close enough where they can more easily be controlled or randomly visited. 1:30-3 hours driving distance is perfect for those with this motive.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

I was from the Orlando area and I had absolutely no desire what so ever to go to UCF and never even applied. It felt too close to home for me.

I wanted to get away from my parents. I think it's a valid reason Tampa kids might prefer UCF instead of USF. I know it was a factor for me when I chose schools to apply to.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

No, Richard.