• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting: UCF gaining ground on USF in the bay area?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

It would be really great if the Tampa print media could get someone who was willing to say the ridiculous things that the Orlando media says all the time. Don't get me wrong i think we have some fine writers in the Bay Area, but we need a couple of guys(sorry ladies) with some big stones who can take on this crap, or better yet, seed the clouds with stories that play up USF. We are losing the propaganda war and it's only going to get worse if we don't do something about it. I mean, BMM taking potshots, the ridiculous Bianchi rants and the general tone coming from the urinal and BHSN are doing us no credit. If this is going to be a WAR for/on I-4 then I suggest we start arming for battle. No more of this namby pamby fair reporting, I say let's gut em.If you look at the facts that really exist behind this article it falls apart on merit. What really galls me is that this article comes out of our house.

USF fans on message boards are worried their rivals have invaded the Bulls’ biggest recruiting grounds.

Really. You pantywaists who look at everything USF does in a negative light are now showing up in the newspaper. And let's talk about the rag that published this story. The Tampa Bay Times "Home Team". If you want to be on my Home team, you better get your facts straight. The guys that have gone to UCF were either not good enough to come here, they just wanted to get out of town or they were problem actors that we didn't want to involve in our very tight FB program. Some of them may look good in the newspaper, but I will take 1 Asiantii Woulard for every 10 of them. Glad to see Josh provide a little bit of reality to this story. Chris Nee totally talks about the negativity here,

“I think the (USF) fan base’s concerns about how UCF is recruiting there are valid, for sure,†said Chris Nee, a Florida recruiting analyst for Rivals.com.

Let me just say this in closing. This site obviously gets viewed by the world of CFB recruiting and/or sports. If you want to rag on USF, do it with your buddy, your crying towel and a couple of beers at the bar. You do it here and it becomes ridiculous front page fodder. You whine about, our conference, our last years record, our QB, our lack of recruiting ranking and our problems beating Big East teams. You make all those things a self fulfilling prophecy. I mean we can explain away, one Smazza, and his ridiculous rants, but when it becomes a chorus of naysayers, it affects our ability to recruit, our image in the media and probably starts to creep into the heads of our players. Wonder why we suffer from a midseason swoon, well, maybe, just maybe some of that starts with the doubt that originates here. Even if there is only the slightest chance of that, are you willing to take that chance? I'm not and I won't while I'm still drawing breath.I lived from 1975 until 1997 waiting for a USF football team, and some of you guys aren't willing to suffer through a few 8 win seasons. Come on. Take on the media crap. Stay solid here. show the world how much you love being a Bull. Don't be a Cubs fan who has been willing to accept mediocrity for 100 years. BULLIEVE!!!!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

John C. Cotey â€@JohnnyHometeam

@MattHomeTeam and myself almost came to blows putting this #USF #UCF recruiting story together. http://bit.ly/MFgloj

6:45 PM - 24 Jul 12 via web · :chair:

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

John C. Cotey â€@JohnnyHometeam

@MattHomeTeam and myself almost came to blows putting this #USF #UCF recruiting story together. http://bit.ly/MFgloj

6:45 PM - 24 Jul 12 via web · :chair:

Well thank you John. I guess everyone knows now how I feel on the subject.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

It's really a story that's much ado about nothing. It's not like we've had a fence around this area and they've suddenly broken it down. We've been going head to head with them all over the state since the beginning and they're won some and we've won some. The author's not very informed if he thinks the fact that they have two other in-state commits that chose UCF over us is something special. Jose Jose and Godfrey, along with one or two others from his school, come immediately to mind. Now UCF has a recruiter with ties to the area and learned the ways of recruiting beginning at a young age from his dad, so their success isn't that surprising. It was only a matter of time ...

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It's really a story that's much ado about nothing. It's not like we've had a fence around this area and they've suddenly broken it down. We've been going head to head with them all over the state since the beginning and they're won some and we've won some. The author's not very informed if he thinks the fact that they have two other in-state commits that chose UCF over us is something special. Jose Jose and Godfrey, along with one or two others from his school, come immediately to mind. Now UCF has a recruiter with ties to the area and learned the ways of recruiting beginning at a young age from his dad, so their success isn't that surprising. It was only a matter of time ...

We all should have known that once UCF became a member of the Big East that they would be winning more recruiting battles than they have in the past, in Tampa and elsewhere. That was just the natural outcome.

Despite what that article says, there are only a handful of players that we lost to them over the years.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

how I really feel about this article

tumblr_leot0ybAtm1qdlkgg.gif

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Not really sure why anyone would want to play for UCF when they have an offer from USF. I am a little confused by this post.

Doesn't surprise me. As a current student at USF I can tell you most kids that go to USF are from the Orlando area and I bet many UCF students are from Tampa (At least the ones that don't value their education). You could probably write the same thing about USF outrecruiting UCF in Orlando; kids wanna stay close to home, but not THAT close to home.

I agree with this analysis. The motive to be close to home, but not 'too close,' comprises a plausible theory for this occurrence. Some college students probably like to have visits with the family and have help when necessary, but not close enough where they can more easily be controlled or randomly visited. 1:30-3 hours driving distance is perfect for those with this motive.

it has nothing to do with this "theory".

holtz recruited orlando while at ecu, south carolina etc. I believe Fitch is his man there. he has had connections for years.

holtz is weak in recruiting our surrounding counties. check out leavitt's recruits and you'll notice far less from orlando and far more from tri-county surrounding USF.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

It would be really great if the Tampa print media could get someone who was willing to say the ridiculous things that the Orlando media says all the time. Don't get me wrong i think we have some fine writers in the Bay Area, but we need a couple of guys(sorry ladies) with some big stones who can take on this crap, or better yet, seed the clouds with stories that play up USF. We are losing the propaganda war and it's only going to get worse if we don't do something about it. I mean, BMM taking potshots, the ridiculous Bianchi rants and the general tone coming from the urinal and BHSN are doing us no credit. If this is going to be a WAR for/on I-4 then I suggest we start arming for battle. No more of this namby pamby fair reporting, I say let's gut em.If you look at the facts that really exist behind this article it falls apart on merit. What really galls me is that this article comes out of our house.

USF fans on message boards are worried their rivals have invaded the Bulls’ biggest recruiting grounds.

Really. You pantywaists who look at everything USF does in a negative light are now showing up in the newspaper. And let's talk about the rag that published this story. The Tampa Bay Times "Home Team". If you want to be on my Home team, you better get your facts straight. The guys that have gone to UCF were either not good enough to come here, they just wanted to get out of town or they were problem actors that we didn't want to involve in our very tight FB program. Some of them may look good in the newspaper, but I will take 1 Asiantii Woulard for every 10 of them. Glad to see Josh provide a little bit of reality to this story. Chris Nee totally talks about the negativity here,

“I think the (USF) fan base’s concerns about how UCF is recruiting there are valid, for sure,†said Chris Nee, a Florida recruiting analyst for Rivals.com.

Let me just say this in closing. This site obviously gets viewed by the world of CFB recruiting and/or sports. If you want to rag on USF, do it with your buddy, your crying towel and a couple of beers at the bar. You do it here and it becomes ridiculous front page fodder. You whine about, our conference, our last years record, our QB, our lack of recruiting ranking and our problems beating Big East teams. You make all those things a self fulfilling prophecy. I mean we can explain away, one Smazza, and his ridiculous rants, but when it becomes a chorus of naysayers, it affects our ability to recruit, our image in the media and probably starts to creep into the heads of our players. Wonder why we suffer from a midseason swoon, well, maybe, just maybe some of that starts with the doubt that originates here. Even if there is only the slightest chance of that, are you willing to take that chance? I'm not and I won't while I'm still drawing breath.I lived from 1975 until 1997 waiting for a USF football team, and some of you guys aren't willing to suffer through a few 8 win seasons. Come on. Take on the media crap. Stay solid here. show the world how much you love being a Bull. Don't be a Cubs fan who has been willing to accept mediocrity for 100 years. BULLIEVE!!!!

Sounds like you should take the "Bulls" by the horns and start writing your own columns for TBO. Get yourself a radio show too, get that Bullpride out there!

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

complex answer, but in a nutshell, yes they are. Also in a nutshell, it disgusts me. I cant wait to play them. seriously.

Edited by Ghost

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

I wouldnt put too much stock in this article. UCF will always pull kids that want to leave Tampa, and USF will always pull kids that want to leave Orlando. At the end of the day, we are still out recruiting them by getting better players that fit our system. We have the #1 dual threat QB in the nation (#146 on ESPN150) and amazing facilities. The boost we get from the facililites is trailing...we wont see recrutiing results of those for a couple of years. We are fine.