• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Transforming off-campus housing (The Edge and formally Fontana Hall)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  169
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

So I was driving around the area the other day and noticed just how many new complexes are being built, and it got me thinking about one of the other threads on here about USF being a commuter school.

With all the new apartments being built, what impact does that have on the rental market in the area? The supply is increasing, but with USF having capped admittance, the demand may not increase with it, so you would think prices would have to start dropping. Throw in the fact that on campus housing is severely overpriced and that USF hasn't signed any off-campus housing contracts, I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more students moving off campus once they finish their freshman year on campus (which I think is illegal in my opinion).

I'm just starting to wonder when USF will realize that they are on the losing end of the housing issue right now. And its not just about having students live on campus, but creating a on campus culture.

Just some food for thought.

Curious out runner, why do you say moving off campus after first year is illegal?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

So I was driving around the area the other day and noticed just how many new complexes are being built, and it got me thinking about one of the other threads on here about USF being a commuter school.

With all the new apartments being built, what impact does that have on the rental market in the area? The supply is increasing, but with USF having capped admittance, the demand may not increase with it, so you would think prices would have to start dropping. Throw in the fact that on campus housing is severely overpriced and that USF hasn't signed any off-campus housing contracts, I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more students moving off campus once they finish their freshman year on campus (which I think is illegal in my opinion).

I'm just starting to wonder when USF will realize that they are on the losing end of the housing issue right now. And its not just about having students live on campus, but creating a on campus culture.

Curious out runner, why do you say moving off campus after first year is illegal?

Pretty sure he's saying that forcing freshmen to live on-campus is what's illegal...

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

I live a half mile from campus and wish my rent would drop.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Pretty sure he's saying that forcing freshmen to live on-campus is what's illegal...

Yeah, forcing them to live on-campus should be illegal. The universities primary function is education, and housing is a service they provide to assist in the primary function. But it is just that, a service. By forcing freshman to live on campus their first year, they in effect create a monopoly and are able to charge higher than market value for the rooms and meal plans because the freshman have no other choice.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

Yeah, forcing them to live on-campus should be illegal. The universities primary function is education, and housing is a service they provide to assist in the primary function. But it is just that, a service. By forcing freshman to live on campus their first year, they in effect create a monopoly and are able to charge higher than market value for the rooms and meal plans because the freshman have no other choice.

Making freshmen live on campus is a great thing. Raises school spirit for freshmen and it helps them become more involved on campus. I know when I lived on campus I attended several events advertised through the dorms and things. As soon as I moved off campus I havent attended a single on-campus event other than athletic events. This is one way to get rid of the commutter school image.

Edited by zarnozdabull

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Freshmen from the surrounding counties are exempt, like Hillsborough, Pinellas & Pasco counties.

Illegal? Kind of drama queenish. If you do not like the rules, then you can always go to another state university. Many universities require freshmen to live on campus, public state universities and private universites. Living on campus helps the freshmen transition to university life, and studies have proven that freshmen who live on campus get better grades, adjust to university life faster, and have a higher graduation rate. They are also safer on campus than living in the surrounding neighborhoods.

USF wanted to raise the academic scores of their students, and this is one of the techniques they used to acheive that goal.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I agree that freshman SHOULD live on campus. That's a far cry though, from saying they MUST live on campus.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I agree that freshman SHOULD live on campus. That's a far cry though, from saying they MUST live on campus.

+1 freshman SHOULD be on campus their first year. Hell I was on campus for my freshman and sophmore years.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

+1 freshman SHOULD be on campus their first year. Hell I was on campus for my freshman and sophmore years.

I was as well; it was a great experience and met some incredible people. After evaluating the cost of living off-campus for my junior and senior years, I jumped into an individual lease in a place around USF.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I was as well; it was a great experience and met some incredible people. After evaluating the cost of living off-campus for my junior and senior years, I jumped into an individual lease in a place around USF.

Same. I think they SHOULD but not forced to. I agree with all your points about building community and school spirit, something we need at USF. But I just take issue with the school holding a monopoly on freshman housing. I see it as fleecing them for higher rent in smaller rooms, meal plans, and parking permits (if they bring a car). Just don't see that living on campus should be a condition for receiving education.