• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Transforming off-campus housing (The Edge and formally Fontana Hall)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

If only they could take out John Knox Village.

this. what is that doing there? Seriously?

Its either owned by or strongly affiliated with the hospital next door to it.... John Knox isn't going anywhere.

Yeah, but it absolutely kills Fletcher Avenue on our North border. Can you imagine if they could build storefronts with housing above them, make it a walking distance hangout for students. Not to mention that **** Senior Zone, which to me is unlawful and nothing more than a speed trap.

Couldnt agree more. So much wasted potential. No disrespect to senior citizens, but a senior home across the street from a University? what?

You guys understand that at the time John Knox opened there was virtually nothing on USF's campus that was close to that area of Fletcher right? The area has grown up around that complex... it was there first.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

You guys understand that at the time John Knox opened there was virtually nothing on USF's campus that was close to that area of Fletcher right? The area has grown up around that complex... it was there first.

I did not. Excuse my ignorance.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796

The worst part is the 35mph 'senior zone'....

I've yet to see one senior citizen walking around Fletcher Ave. I am, however, looking forward to seeing what gets accomplished with that "Fontana Hall" property. I wish we'd get some mixed (residential/commercial) in that area. There are really no good bars within walking distance of the campus. And beforeI get tarred and feathered, I don't consider the Copper Top or CDB's "walking distance" from the residence halls.

The purpose of the senior zone was not that they were crossing, but that the senior residents couldn't safely pull into traffic while driving. That's why I think its unlawful. When a person gets a drivers license, they are to be qualified to handle all the road conditions. If they can't safely pull onto Fletcher because traffic speed is too fast, then they are at fault. Plus the cops use it as a speed trap.

I've yet to see one senior citizen walking around Fletcher Ave. I am, however, looking forward to seeing what gets accomplished with that "Fontana Hall" property. I wish we'd get some mixed (residential/commercial) in that area. There are really no good bars within walking distance of the campus. And beforeI get tarred and feathered, I don't consider the Copper Top or CDB's "walking distance" from the residence halls.

The purpose of the senior zone was not that they were crossing, but that the senior residents couldn't safely pull into traffic while driving. That's why I think its unlawful. When a person gets a drivers license, they are to be qualified to handle all the road conditions. If they can't safely pull onto Fletcher because traffic speed is too fast, then they are at fault. Plus the cops use it as a speed trap.

Actually... that particular zone came about as a result of one of the residents walking out into Fletcher and getting hit and killed... happened about 12yrs ago IIRC. They've since upgraded the locks of course but that's when the changes went into effect.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796

Actually... that particular zone came about as a result of one of the residents walking out into Fletcher and getting hit and killed... happened about 12yrs ago IIRC. They've since upgraded the locks of course but that's when the changes went into effect.

The Senior Zone was only created 6 years ago.

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4419

The senior zone will be designed to allow the safe entry and exit for more than 1,000 residents, staff and guests of the senior community John Knox Village, located at 4100 E. Fletcher Ave. This zone is the first of its type to be adopted and developed in the United States.

Adding a side note about that area of Fletcher. I wish there was some way to redo the whole intersection between 42nd, Fletcher, and Palm Drive.

Apologies... I thought they created it after that woman was killed out there. That was just before I was married... about 12yrs ago.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

The 3 mile stretch of Fletcher Ave from Nebraska to 50th just east of the USF campus is probably the most dangerous corridor in Hillsborough county for pedestrians and bike riders. Over 40,000 vehicles/day use Fletcher. The road needs improvements and needs to be widened all the way to I-75; improvements to the road are at a stall now because there isn't enough money ($120 million+?) available to fix the mess.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/high-cost-obscure-government-rule-dooms-widening-of-crowded-fletcher-avenue/1217253

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

At least the problem is recognized, all things will come in time.

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

The Senior Zone was only created 6 years ago.

http://www.campusref...g/blog/?ID=4419

The senior zone will be designed to allow the safe entry and exit for more than 1,000 residents, staff and guests of the senior community John Knox Village, located at 4100 E. Fletcher Ave. This zone is the first of its type to be adopted and developed in the United States.

Adding a side note about that area of Fletcher. I wish there was some way to redo the whole intersection between 42nd, Fletcher, and Palm Drive.

I agree with you about redoing that intersection- and 42nd St, as I've voiced to the county before...need more lights/sidewalks for the amount of people that live up there.

John Lewis just tweeted that the town is coming down today at Fontana... bit of sadness...