• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sun Dome photo update

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  571
  • Days Won:  0

yeah well, those pre-cast panels are hideous, in relativity to what COULD have been. they should have (in the most general sense) went with a brick construction to match most of the academic buildings (ie cooper through engineering). the eye for design is painfully lacking in the development of the campus.. think thats glaringly obvious to anyone who has a broad understanding of the different collegiate styles in America.

Edited by psteazy

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Out of curiosity, would you all complaining about architecture be fine if they had continued the sandstone brick, Cold War era/Jenga block/prison building designs the campus originally had if the campus remained uniform?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  571
  • Days Won:  0

Out of curiosity, would you all complaining about architecture be fine if they had continued the sandstone brick, Cold War era/Jenga block/prison building designs the campus originally had if the campus remained uniform?

well obviously (hypothetically) they would have taken those textures and design principals and modernized them into something that is appealing. so yes, I would have liked to see the red brick used in both the engineering dept and the newer ROTC building.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,452
  • Days Won:  19

Maybe JD Alexander will help us tear it down and start all over again.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

yeah well, those pre-cast panels are hideous, in relativity to what COULD have been. they should have (in the most general sense) went with a brick construction to match most of the academic buildings (ie cooper through engineering). the eye for design is painfully lacking in the development of the campus.. think thats glaringly obvious to anyone who has a broad understanding of the different collegiate styles in America.

We'll just have to disagree. I think the new buildings look great.

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

Why shouldn't the athletics district have its own identity? And from my time on campus, there really isn't much in terms of complaints about the look of the buildings other than the original buildings need serious renovations. Maybe the several students that you spoke to were all architecture students. That is a small subset of the university population.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i just dont like how there are so many things 'attached' to the already ugly exterior of the sundome. I know its going to be incredible inside, and i'm really excited to go to some games there but the chiller facility? I truly hate that building. Maybe the corral would look better if painted.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

i just dont like how there are so many things 'attached' to the already ugly exterior of the sundome. I know its going to be incredible inside, and i'm really excited to go to some games there but the chiller facility? I truly hate that building. Maybe the corral would look better if painted.

Yeah, I agree with you. Putting that chiller plant next to the Corral thats attached to the Sun Dome really does make the west side look cluttered. Couple that with the fact that there is nothing on the north or east side of it, it really does look kind of odd. Hopefully they have something planned for at least the north side. But having all these buildings attached and surrounding the Sun Dome pretty much hides the actual arena. Maybe thats what they are going for.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  445

looks like a mess with all of the buildings different colors and smashed together...

It looks fine. Have you checked around the new athletes district lately...its all different earth tones. The building looks fine.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  445

Yeah, I agree with you. Putting that chiller plant next to the Corral thats attached to the Sun Dome really does make the west side look cluttered. Couple that with the fact that there is nothing on the north or east side of it, it really does look kind of odd. Hopefully they have something planned for at least the north side. But having all these buildings attached and surrounding the Sun Dome pretty much hides the actual arena. Maybe thats what they are going for.

have you seen Dayton's Arena from the outside? Nothing to be to proud of, but the inside is different story. You guys are acting like space galore exist in that area of campus. We have all been on campus plenty of times to know that that is not the case. Who cares what it looks like on the outside, all about the inside features.