• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sun Dome photo update

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

Got it. That's the west and south sides with major extensions. What's planned for the east and north sides?

North side already has something there, not attached .... the nutrition center maybe? I'm think the East side will be left alone ...

The health and wellness "nutrition center" is going to be built into the Campus Rec center when the renovate the other half of the building. So that's a few years out.

I thought that was already built. Champion's Choice? Something different?

That's the one I was thinking of ...

Oh, that's just the dining facility, but it offers healthier options than the other dining facilities on campus. That's built off the NW corner of the SunDome at the student entrance.

So what is a health and wellness nutrition center?

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Got it. That's the west and south sides with major extensions. What's planned for the east and north sides?

North side already has something there, not attached .... the nutrition center maybe? I'm think the East side will be left alone ...

The health and wellness "nutrition center" is going to be built into the Campus Rec center when the renovate the other half of the building. So that's a few years out.

Oh, that's just the dining facility, but it offers healthier options than the other dining facilities on campus. That's built off the NW corner of the SunDome at the student entrance.

That's going to be built when they renovate the other half of the Campus Rec Center. The renovations they just completed are the south half of the building. The north half will be renovated and be built onto to become the Health and Wellness Center which will include nutritionists. I haven't been able to find the stuff online, but they have a couple posters in the lobby of Campus Rec.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,608
  • Days Won:  424

That's going to be built when they renovate the other half of the Campus Rec Center. The renovations they just completed are the south half of the building. The north half will be renovated and be built onto to become the Health and Wellness Center which will include nutritionists. I haven't been able to find the stuff online, but they have a couple posters in the lobby of Campus Rec.

Does that mean they're going to be taking even more of my reserved basketball parking spots back there?

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Does that mean they're going to be taking even more of my reserved basketball parking spots back there?

Probably, but there's still no word on when construction will begin, so you're safe for 1 or 2 seasons.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Long term plan is to have a parking garage on that lot IIRC

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  571
  • Days Won:  0

Aesthetics are pretty far from a strong suit at USF. Really don't know why they ever went the route of the pre-fab's that we see in the new dorms and most of the athletic expansion. The "architecture" (and I use that word pretty loosly) that we have used in recent construction has the attraction level of play-ground equipment. While it's obviously too late to really validate any sort of complaining, I wish the longterm planners could have taken in design uniformity and a degree of "professional" creativity into consideration when they went on their expansion benders.

I mean really.. who looks at the final designs for a lot of these buildings (cough Corbett, Baseball/Softball, Juniper/Poplar, Maple Apts, Morsani football Complex) or my biggest pet peeve, the chia-bull outside of the Marshall Center($25,000+ for that embarassment), and thinks that these are the best means of spending their construction budgets. I've actually come to despise the construction company that seems to do all of our expansion work, because I feel like they are hustling us by not offering a higher quality service for us to spend our money on. While it has some serious high points, our campus as a whole seems like it was made in a "point and drop" SimCity game. I hear lots of students make comments on this. Just like our student body, the campus has no obvious binding factor, and in turn it is very hard to develop a sort of empathetic connection to it.

Edited by psteazy

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

looks like a mess with all of the buildings different colors and smashed together...

Just paint The Corral then.

Not that concerned how it looks on the outside anyways.

• Topic Count:  1,034
  • Content Count:  7,513
  • Days Won:  10

Since most of the games are at night, anyway, I'm not sure how the exterior color really matters beyond drive-by impression. What really matters is how the interior is perceived.

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

Aesthetics are pretty far from a strong suit at USF. Really don't know why they ever went the route of the pre-fab's that we see in the new dorms and most of the athletic expansion. The "architecture" (and I use that word pretty loosly) that we have used in recent construction has the attraction level of play-ground equipment. While it's obviously too late to really validate any sort of complaining, I wish the longterm planners could have taken in design uniformity and a degree of "professional" creativity into consideration when they went on their expansion benders.

I mean really.. who looks at the final designs for a lot of these buildings (cough Corbett, Baseball/Softball, Juniper/Poplar, Maple Apts, Morsani football Complex) or my biggest pet peeve, the chia-bull outside of the Marshall Center($25,000+ for that embarassment), and thinks that these are the best means of spending their construction budgets. I've actually come to despise the construction company that seems to do all of our expansion work, because I feel like they are hustling us by not offering a higher quality service for us to spend our money on. While it has some serious high points, our campus as a whole seems like it was made in a "point and drop" SimCity game. I hear lots of students make comments on this. Just like our student body, the campus has no obvious binding factor, and in turn it is very hard to develop a sort of empathetic connection to it.

What are you talking about? The entire athletics district is beautiful. All of the facilities follow a specific theme.

I will give you the topiary bull, but all of your other examples were well done projects, in my opinion.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I have to disagree with you here. I was just on campus, and I thought the new buildings were great. They are not, "pre-fab" as you put it. They may use pre-cast panels, but those are manufactured specifically for the building they are being used on.

We are not a 200 year old school and I don't think we need to look like one.