• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Disgusted Un Satisfied Fans (USF)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,074
  • Days Won:  172

if heath is dismissed

usf should hire bruce pearl

we let mike leach get away

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Hopefully our team at least learned something from last night's experience....like how they need to be more conditioned and a how to face the press next time.

With all the talk about Heath's poorly conditioned and coach team it got me to thinking, "where have I seen this before?" Well here is 1 of many articles talking about Stan's team lack of conditioning.

After the first few weeks of practice, Pelphrey noticed, to his dismay, how poorly conditioned his basketball team was. Which is the last thing you want to hear as a coach, as a player, and especially as a fan.

Assistant coach Tom Ostrom said, "I told our team that those guys couldn't get through 15 minutes of practice. They would be looking for the closest garbage can. And it wasn't just one. It wasn't just two. It was the whole team. I've never been around a worse-conditioned group of athletes. I don't really care whose fault it is, but it's got to change."

Maybe that explains the Razorbacks inconsistency last year, Heath's laughable road record, or the Hogs unforgettable way of crumbling over during big games.

As a player, you hate conditioning. Who doesn't? Line sprints? Nah. I'm alright. Lifting weights? I'll pass. Fast-break drills? Maybe tomorrow. Stairs? I'll get to it later.

Well, that's obviously how Stan Heath felt also. Which leads to mediocrity. NIT bids and 1st round NCAA tournament exits.

The erratic play of point guard Gary Ervin, the ineffective pick-up style we see from Charles Thomas and Michael Washington, the inconsistent half-court offense and the continually embarrassing attempts to break pressing defenses all stem from the lack of discipline these players have received over the past few years. It's not the players fault. They were never taught.

It was obvious last year. Arkansas was "in" pretty much every game they lost. But poor execution and what seemed like a clueless group of guys traces itself back to the coach.

These players are athletic, talented, and for the most part, excellent basketball players. But at this level there is no substitute for a coach who understands the importance of discipline and conditioning.

Heath didn't understand that. He was more concerned with being there friend rather than a coach.

The players loved Heath. And for good reason. They didn't have to do anything.

http://www.helium.co...acks-mens/print

• Content Count:  203
  • Days Won:  0

if heath is dismissed usf should hire bruce pearl we let mike leach get away

Agree 100%

• Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

USF is more concerned with running a clean program where students athletes graduate right now than the product on the field...a majority of our alums are still upset that we even have a football team. I cannot tell you how many donors whine and moan that USF was supposed to be an academics first and athletics second university.

With that said, VCU is a terrible team this year...saw them in Charleston and they are definitely in re-building mode. USF definitely had the talent to beat these guys. We just don't play smart basketball...looks like a pickup squad out there.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just because you went to the final more has nothing to do with talent.

Better coached? Well that is a joke to even ask, more talented? its probably a push.

and hilarity ensues

Yes it does. Yes it does.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I'm enraged by our loss to VCU... they don't have a football so we should crush them and every other DeVry or Webster like football less school out there...

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I don't disagree with you Vega......Heath is a players coach.....and I do think the conditioning showed last night. I also think unless it is addressed....any team that saw that with a halfway decent 5 man bench will try to copy that and run at us all night.

I will give Collins a pass....in that he is a true freshman....probably has never had to play 35 minutes against a press at this level.....he has only been in 2 games coming off an injury. I expect him to be out of shape. But Anderson Jr. and Nash should not be cramping already. Clearly Heath did not have them prepared and I think they were starting to feel a little good about themselves after the Georgia Southern and FAU games. You even saw them take their foot off the gas and get complacent with a big lead in the FAU game......we saw that last season.

All of that said....I don't see a better coach out there that wants to come here. If at the very least Stan can befriend these kids and get them to come here.....maybe in 2 or 3 seasons....we will be in a better position to get a better coach. Right now.....I think we are stuck with what we have.....so I just hope...Stan's likeability will get better players in here.

Seth Greenberg was the same way.....players coach....we couldn't shoot free throws the whole time he was here. Could recruit talent....but they under-achieved, never did better than the NIT. Then we bring in disciplinarian McCullum....and he drove this team and program off of a cliff. Ran everybody off. If Stan can get this program at least back to where Seth left it.....I will be satisfied that we can move on.

I think once Stan has the Muma Center, the new Sun Dome and some talent to play with.....and then he under-achieves.....which will probably happen.....then we will have some leverage to bring in a hungry assistant from a good program.

I will pass on Bruce Pearl....if he is willing to have an illegal cookout at his house with a recruit......after he had already been blackballed once by the NCAA....and his best defense is to tell everyone at the cookout to never say anything or lie about it (because he openly admits to everyone at the cookout with said recruit that he is breaking the NCAA rules).....and then he is willing to turn around and lie about the whole thing to the NCAA.....why would I want to invite that kind of personality into my program.

• Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  1

I think what is needed is some kind of admission from Athletics that yes we know we have let down you fans. I am a Bulls fan forever and love my school. And despite all this I do think Heath and Holtz are the right men for their programs. However, they both need to make some changes and step up their efforts. Those of you that say no one better is coming here are exactly right.

But fact of matter we are a BCS school and that generates money. Money that should be invested properly and that means more than facilities that I will promise you will sit mainly empty if these poor on field results continue. Woolard maybe should work the circuit or his email and reach out for us devout and contributing fans and say we know you are disappointed and we are going to make it better as that is how we must be judged. Acknowledgement is the first step in recovery and to me the silence from our leaders is deafening. However, they sure were quick to stand up and reach out after beating FSU, and that stupid billboard, and after the bowl last year and this years Notre Dame win.

Get it right Doug or get out. Coaches may not want to come but AD jobs are a different animal.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

This is where our expectations were for basketball all along. Being bad is no surprise and to be expected, at least for now.

Football is a completely different animal. We are conference winners who are pathetically lost under Holtz/Woolard.

Archived