• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Disgusted Un Satisfied Fans (USF)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

Hopefully our team at least learned something from last night's experience....like how they need to be more conditioned and a how to face the press next time.

With all the talk about Heath's poorly conditioned and coach team it got me to thinking, "where have I seen this before?" Well here is 1 of many articles talking about Stan's team lack of conditioning.

After the first few weeks of practice, Pelphrey noticed, to his dismay, how poorly conditioned his basketball team was. Which is the last thing you want to hear as a coach, as a player, and especially as a fan.

Assistant coach Tom Ostrom said, "I told our team that those guys couldn't get through 15 minutes of practice. They would be looking for the closest garbage can. And it wasn't just one. It wasn't just two. It was the whole team. I've never been around a worse-conditioned group of athletes. I don't really care whose fault it is, but it's got to change."

Maybe that explains the Razorbacks inconsistency last year, Heath's laughable road record, or the Hogs unforgettable way of crumbling over during big games.

As a player, you hate conditioning. Who doesn't? Line sprints? Nah. I'm alright. Lifting weights? I'll pass. Fast-break drills? Maybe tomorrow. Stairs? I'll get to it later.

Well, that's obviously how Stan Heath felt also. Which leads to mediocrity. NIT bids and 1st round NCAA tournament exits.

The erratic play of point guard Gary Ervin, the ineffective pick-up style we see from Charles Thomas and Michael Washington, the inconsistent half-court offense and the continually embarrassing attempts to break pressing defenses all stem from the lack of discipline these players have received over the past few years. It's not the players fault. They were never taught.

It was obvious last year. Arkansas was "in" pretty much every game they lost. But poor execution and what seemed like a clueless group of guys traces itself back to the coach.

These players are athletic, talented, and for the most part, excellent basketball players. But at this level there is no substitute for a coach who understands the importance of discipline and conditioning.

Heath didn't understand that. He was more concerned with being there friend rather than a coach.

The players loved Heath. And for good reason. They didn't have to do anything.

http://www.helium.co...acks-mens/print

Here's my favorite part ..."Which leads to mediocrity. NIT bids and 1st round NCAA tournament exits."

What you stll can't grasp is that rational USF fans would kill for that type "mediocrity" right now ... not as an ultimate goal, but just as a next step. Arkansas hoops and USF hoops are light years apart. Will Stan get us to that level of "mediocrity"? I don't know ... but I do know he's got at least two seasons to try ... so I'm not sure why you keep up this campaign against him. Does it make you feel good?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Hopefully our team at least learned something from last night's experience....like how they need to be more conditioned and a how to face the press next time.

With all the talk about Heath's poorly conditioned and coach team it got me to thinking, "where have I seen this before?" Well here is 1 of many articles talking about Stan's team lack of conditioning.

After the first few weeks of practice, Pelphrey noticed, to his dismay, how poorly conditioned his basketball team was. Which is the last thing you want to hear as a coach, as a player, and especially as a fan.

Assistant coach Tom Ostrom said, "I told our team that those guys couldn't get through 15 minutes of practice. They would be looking for the closest garbage can. And it wasn't just one. It wasn't just two. It was the whole team. I've never been around a worse-conditioned group of athletes. I don't really care whose fault it is, but it's got to change."

Maybe that explains the Razorbacks inconsistency last year, Heath's laughable road record, or the Hogs unforgettable way of crumbling over during big games.

As a player, you hate conditioning. Who doesn't? Line sprints? Nah. I'm alright. Lifting weights? I'll pass. Fast-break drills? Maybe tomorrow. Stairs? I'll get to it later.

Well, that's obviously how Stan Heath felt also. Which leads to mediocrity. NIT bids and 1st round NCAA tournament exits.

The erratic play of point guard Gary Ervin, the ineffective pick-up style we see from Charles Thomas and Michael Washington, the inconsistent half-court offense and the continually embarrassing attempts to break pressing defenses all stem from the lack of discipline these players have received over the past few years. It's not the players fault. They were never taught.

It was obvious last year. Arkansas was "in" pretty much every game they lost. But poor execution and what seemed like a clueless group of guys traces itself back to the coach.

These players are athletic, talented, and for the most part, excellent basketball players. But at this level there is no substitute for a coach who understands the importance of discipline and conditioning.

Heath didn't understand that. He was more concerned with being there friend rather than a coach.

Here's my favorite part ..."Which leads to mediocrity. NIT bids and 1st round NCAA tournament exits."

What you stll can't grasp is that rational USF fans would kill for that type "mediocrity" right now ... not as an ultimate goal, but just as a next step. Arkansas hoops and USF hoops are light years apart. Will Stan get us to that level of "mediocrity"? I don't know ... but I do know he's got at least two seasons to try ... so I'm not sure why you keep up this campaign against him. Does it make you feel good?

Why are you taking Vega's opinion personal? It's just business. Like you said in another thread, get a hobby.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

Why are you taking Vega's opinion personal? It's just business. Like you said in another thread, get a hobby.

I'm not taking it personal ..... Just an observation, like all the stuff here is. I'd like to know what his real problem is. I can understand your pain but he's not really a USF fan, he just latched on here when Stan came on board and has been ******** about him almost from the get go. I had a couple of Psych courses, slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night and find his obsession fascinating from a clinical standpoint ... just trying to figure out what his objective is.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I would not shed any tears if Woolard were let go or at least not renewed. Genshaft has done a lot for the University since coming but Woolard seems just like an administrator to me. I can't really see anything special there. Seems like an empty suit collecting a paycheck. He hired a firm to help him hire Holtz, he hired a firm to help him deal with the Leavitt/Miller situation......I think most of us on this board could have done that and do future home and away schedules with Western Kentucky and Ball State.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

I think you are all over-reacting on this one a little. I am not trying to make excuses but the team was within 3 points 5 minutes into the 2nd half. Fitz missed that dunk.....and VCU turned it around and hit a 3.....that 5 point swing was basically when the wheels fell off.

Fitzpatrick then goes down......Dority was held to like 2 minutes because of an injured shoulder, Gus was not available, Poland was not available.....so Basically in the 2nd half.....you have 5 gassed players with a 1.5 man bench with a one legged Fitzpatrick and a cold Noriega who seems to be frustrated with his lack of playing time (pulled his jersey out like he was done for the night with more than 6 minutes left).....meanwhile....we have Fitz hobbling up and down the court.

This all against a more talented team.....a much deeper team than can play press defense all night. It was obvious when that 3 point lead quickly turned into a 9 point lead after two easy missed layups/dunk.....the whole team just gave up.

Unless we get some more healthy bodies soon.......Collins....Nash.....Rudd.....Anderson and Robertson may need to get ready to play nearly 40 minutes a game. Any team with depth will run us off the floor. Wind sprints anyone?

VCU is not a more talented team.

You are absolutely clueless. VCU went to the Final Four last year. Yeah, USF is as talented as a team one season removed from a Final Four trip. Get real.

EDIT: I see someone else pointed this out, should have read the last two posts first. Still, VCU not more talented than USF? Next you're going to tell us the football team is as talented as Arkansas or Stanford, or some other really, really good team that just isn't quite good enough to win the national title. Absolutely amazing.

Glad to see some others piling on. In another thread, Accountable basically called me an idiot for saying we weren't more talented. We agreed to not discuss it any further. But JUCO retreads are not filling the rosters of most top teams.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

I think you are all over-reacting on this one a little. I am not trying to make excuses but the team was within 3 points 5 minutes into the 2nd half. Fitz missed that dunk.....and VCU turned it around and hit a 3.....that 5 point swing was basically when the wheels fell off.

Fitzpatrick then goes down......Dority was held to like 2 minutes because of an injured shoulder, Gus was not available, Poland was not available.....so Basically in the 2nd half.....you have 5 gassed players with a 1.5 man bench with a one legged Fitzpatrick and a cold Noriega who seems to be frustrated with his lack of playing time (pulled his jersey out like he was done for the night with more than 6 minutes left).....meanwhile....we have Fitz hobbling up and down the court.

This all against a more talented team.....a much deeper team than can play press defense all night. It was obvious when that 3 point lead quickly turned into a 9 point lead after two easy missed layups/dunk.....the whole team just gave up.

Unless we get some more healthy bodies soon.......Collins....Nash.....Rudd.....Anderson and Robertson may need to get ready to play nearly 40 minutes a game. Any team with depth will run us off the floor. Wind sprints anyone?

You are absolutely clueless. VCU went to the Final Four last year. Yeah, USF is as talented as a team one season removed from a Final Four trip. Get real.

EDIT: I see someone else pointed this out, should have read the last two posts first. Still, VCU not more talented than USF? Next you're going to tell us the football team is as talented as Arkansas or Stanford, or some other really, really good team that just isn't quite good enough to win the national title. Absolutely amazing.

Glad to see some others piling on. In another thread, Accountable basically called me an idiot for saying we weren't more talented. We agreed to not discuss it any further. But JUCO retreads are not filling the rosters of most top teams.

Gobulls has always attacked more people than providing actual substance to a topic. So if neither of you like my opinion, bite me, and grow a pair instead of insulting over an internet message board.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

Gobulls has always attacked more people than providing actual substance to a topic. So if neither of you like my opinion, bite me, and grow a pair instead of insulting over an internet message board.

I try not to insult people on this Board. We are all Bulls fans. Everyone I've met with from this Board I have gotten along with just fine. We all have differences of opinions, but I would hope we could sit down over some beers and get along. I find it very odd that people make personal attacks. I don't agree with you but I haven't attacked you. And I try hard not to ever make it personal. If you feel better about yourself by calling people idiots, that's fine. I won't sink to that level.

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

UNLV did ok with Jucos. It is just a matter of which ones you get.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,004
  • Days Won:  469

What Holiday Inn did you stay at Trip? On Fowler?

Archived