• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Expansion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

leave iowa st out of it.  they pretty much offer nothing.

how funny would it be if the big east expanded to 12 and left the UCif boys out of it.

Personally I think UCiF as one of the 12 would make sense.

Not just funny, thats the reality. The only way we expand to 12 and they are part of it is if the Big 12 survives. Within a week of OU and UT going to the Pac 12, Kansas, KSU, and Mizzou/ISU are coming to the BE. No question.

Not sure how ISU offers nothing btw. 55k seat stadium that they sell out, 10k for basketball, a traveling fanbase, already a BCS member. They offer much more than any c-usa member, and KU and KSU would want them to come with.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293

but from all the other schools already in the big east- I'm sure they would much rather add another road game in Florida rather than wherever in Iowa that Iowa St is located.

• Content Count:  1,238

but from all the other schools already in the big east- I'm sure they would much rather add another road game in Florida rather than wherever in Iowa that Iowa St is located.

If Big East teams wanted to add UCF theyve had 10 years to do it. They add nothing to the conference. ISU brings more fans into the conference than UCF, better for BE image, better for bowl agreements, better for TV, more money.

They are about 20-30 mins north of Des Moines.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

If this is the case they would have added UCF with TCU.  Lets also not forget that all the BE members would also have to recruit against another BCS squad if UCF was added which pretty much cancels out the positives for adding UCF.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I saw a couple of Baylor rumors this morning, so I've been poking around the net.  Reading between the lines, I'd say that Kansas/K State are near locks to join the Big East if/when the B12 implodes.  Mizzou looks like the third team the BE would like to add.  Baylor is the first fall back if Mizzou or West Virginia head to the SEC.  All signs point to the ideal BE scenario being 12 football/20 all sports.

Based on the amount of internet traffic, the SEC may be quite happy to not expand beyond 12 and the Big 10 doesn't seem to be in a hurry to add anyone.  I'm starting to think both those conferences will be happy to let the Pac12 got to 16 and see if that works before they expand to 16.  Both the Big 10 and the SEC could add teams later without missing out on a team they want, so there really isn't any hurry unless someone big (Oklahoma, Texas) wants in.  The Pac12, meanwhile, would grudgingly accept the Texas and Oklahoma schools to get to 16.  You don't want to pass on Oklahoma or Texas, because you might never the opportunity again if they find another home.

For UCF fans, the best hope might be the ACC.  Why would the BE add UCF if they can add Kansas or Mizzou?  It gets a little closer if you are talking about Baylor or Iowa State, but either still add more than UCF would IMO.

• Content Count:  12,293

i'd love to play Kansas on a regular basis.  and of course Kansas and Mizzou would be much better options than UCF but I just don't see much difference between Baylor or Iowa St.

I know a lot of the people here are biased against UCiF because we are some how afraid it will effect USF negatively.  I am not one of them.  I say bring them in and let us kick their ass each year.

I'd prefer that over all the "hey we won a conf championship, we finished with 11 wins, we finished ranked, we are better than you"  crap that those fools spew out.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

But UCF doesn't add a lot from a regional footprint perspective.  Orlando is pretty big market, but USF is close enough that the Orlando is already somewhat under the Big East umbrella.  For example, Brighthouse Network shares a lot of programming between the two markets.  Much as Orlando people can be irritated with USF, USF and the Big East are already on the Big East map.  Iowa would be a whole new market which would add TV value.

Baylor is in a similar situation as UCF in that they are relatively close to TCU.  But Baylor is a much more recognizable name across the country, even though they haven't been a big boy on the football block.

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Baylor is also a very good academic school that fits with the whole Big East thing, actually I think Mizzou has a couple highly regarded programs as well.

• Content Count:  1,204

Baylor is also a very good academic school that fits with the whole Big East thing, actually I think Mizzou has a couple highly regarded programs as well.

Mizzou is AAU.  So is Iowa State.  Baylor is not.

Archived