• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Expansion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

It appears all those KU, KSU, Mizzou rumors may not have been very far off. From the Grey Lady

PeteThamelNYT Pete Thamel

The Big East has reached out to multiple Big 12 universities and offered a soft landing in case Big 12 fold

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

where is this from? twitter?

• Content Count:  1,204

Would make a lot of sense if Oklahoma, OSU, Tech, and Texas all go Pac-16.  

I think that the Big Ten might take Iowa State.  They might try to raid the Big East too, but if the upcoming contract is as good as advertised then the advantage for jumping might not be there.

Would the SEC want Baylor as #14?  I still think they'd be likely to go after UNC and one of the Virginia teams (or both if Baylor is left out).  

We already have a Texas team, so we could even consider adding Baylor.  

If Mizzou, KState, and Kansas go Big East and the SEC goes after some ACC teams, I could see the Big Ten trying to pre-emptively take Maryland, Virginia, and Virginia Tech.  That would force the SEC to consider adding teams from States where they already have teams, or picking which three Carolina teams to take (probably UNC, NC State, and Duke for their basketball).  

That would leave BC, FSU, Miami, Clemson, GT, and Wake Forest as the leftovers.  If I were the Big East, I'd look at taking Boston College, FSU, Clemson, and Georgia Tech to get up to 16 teams if the Big Ten, SEC, and Pac-12 all make their moves.

I think the ACC is the most likely conference outside of the Big XII to fall apart.  Iowa State goes to the Big Ten unless they can get Notre Dame to join them just because of geography.  If they don't go for Virginia, Maryland, etc then it gets tricky if Pitt, Syracuse, etc don't want to leave.  Maybe Rutgers would bolt, but that could be a net plus for us.  

Miami might be in a precarious situation due to the current allegations.  Wake is a perennial bottom feeder, though has had some success more recently.  Baylor would also be in trouble.  

I could see the leftovers possibly teaming with BYU and Boise State while adding a team like UCF to a trans-continental league that could try to retain an automatic BCS bid.  Miami, Baylor, BYU, Boise, UCF, Wake Forest, Nevada, Houston, SMU, etc.  

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The conference needs to be proactive rather than reactive so I hope this is true.  There is also chatter out there that the Big 10 isn't looking to expand and is happy at 12 if that is true I think the ACC will get hit hard by the SEC if they choose to get to 16.  The Big East could really come out in a great position after all of this. 

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I could see the leftovers possibly teaming with BYU and Boise State while adding a team like UCF to a trans-continental league that could try to retain an automatic BCS bid.  Miami, Baylor, BYU, Boise, UCF, Wake Forest, Nevada, Houston, SMU, etc. 

They could call it the Scrap 10.

• Content Count:  771

Absolutely no way iowa state goes to big 10

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

The conference needs to be proactive rather than reactive so I hope this is true.  There is also chatter out there that the Big 10 isn't looking to expand and is happy at 12 if that is true I think the ACC will get hit hard by the SEC if they choose to get to 16.  The Big East could really come out in a great position after all of this. 

:2cents

Not really... if the ACC gets hit hard then the ACC will come and poach our teams, basketball is not enough to keep football schools happy, this was apparent back when Miami, VT, and BC flew the coup for the ACC. If I remember correctly both WV and Pitt wanted to go to the ACC as well but were turned away because the ACC wanted Miami, VT, and BC, which at the time was the cream of the Big East.

If the ACC gets hit they will turn around and raid the Big Easy, namely WV in the event the SEC stays at 14 teams, or in the case of the SEC going to 16 teams the ACC will likely be looking to poach enough teams to keep pace with the SEC... If the SEC goes to 16 teams then they will take 3 from the ACC thus leaving them with only 9... that means that they would need to poach 7 teams to reach the 16 mark. If the ACC takes 7 teams from the Big East there won't be much of anything left to keep the conference alive... the only hope for the remnants of the Big Easy and the Lil 12 would be to join together and try to create a 5th super conference, but in order for this to occur the Big East would need to split with the basketball only schools.

In any event the fate of 16 team super conference expansion rests with the PAC... if they can take OU,OSU,TT, and UT then they will be the first to hit 16 teams. Once this happens all of the other big conferences (big according to ESPN) will follow suit, i.e. SEC, B1G, ACC. The only reason why the SEC has not announced any plans to find a 14th team is because they are waiting to see what the PAC does. If they go to 16 teams then the SEC will follow suit... if the PAC fails because UT won't play nice then I think everyone will sit at 14 teams for a while.

IF the big conferences remain at 14 teams for a while then I can see the Big Easy having a chance to stay alive. If the PAC just moves to 14 teams then I can see the SEC adding Mizzou to wrap up the footprint of the South, minus Virginia of course, and waiting to for the next round of expansion.

However even at 14 teams I can see the B1G taking Iowa State because they already have Iowa in their conference, and one Big East team... most likely either Cuse or Rutgers.

The Big Easy would need to take Kansas, K-State, and Baylor to reach 11... if the Big Easy wanted to reach 14 then they would just need to add UCF  :throwup2 and two other C-USA teams to reach the 14 mark to remain competitive.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

You're probably right, but with the way things are going, I wouldn't put money on it.  Nothing seems to be absolute.

• Content Count:  771

You're probably right, but with the way things are going, I wouldn't put money on it.  Nothing seems to be absolute.

I will

I will even say usf has a better shot at getting into the big ten than Iowa state and they have zero percent shot

Archived