• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

jim leavitt and usf settle

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

Everyone with a clue knew it would settle.  In situtations like this, usually neither party wants to see a courtroom and everyone leaves somewhat unhappy except the hired guns.  So goes the system.  I figured this would cost about $2 million so Jim beat point spread.

Thanks Jim, for what you did for the program coming in and while here.  No thanks to you or the administration for how this was handled on the way out.  I hate that we all Jim had to go through this in this way.  I hope we can now get past this and someday look at this as the unpleasant birth to a brighter future.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Well said Silver Bull.  Thank You CJL.

• Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

Perfect end to this saga really as both can claim victory.  Not a bad severance package.

Have to ask yourself as this basically can be looked at as a buyout.  If the Miller incident didn't happen and USF knew this is what they could've paid to make a change, would they have done it to get Holtz?  I think it was up for discussion and the Miller incident provided them with a chance at a "cheap" way out even though they probably guessed it would come to this anyway and it was worth the cost.

• Content Count:  2,511

If you look at the legal costs and the continuing bad press, it made sense for USF to settle with Leavitt to make him go away. Even if USF knew that they had an ironclad defense against Leavitt, they knew it was going to cost them. This was a civil case, not a criminal case, so a jury might have sympathized with Leavitt and created a firestorm for USF. If they did win against Leavitt in court, then they knew that they would never recoup their legal costs against him because he was not working and has no way to repay their legal costs.

It was not worth fighting to the bitter end because it was a civil case. No one was going to jail over this. It was only going to cost money, so this was probably the cheapest and quickest route to close this case.

Miller's parents hired Cohen to protect him from reprisal. Sure Cohen was posturing, but it worked. That is part of the legal game. Anyone with half a brain would understand why they got a lawyer to protect their son. Miller was one of the unsung heroes in the defeat of UM this year, so he has shown that he is a valuable member of the team.

• Content Count:  4,642

thanks for raping our budget, jim!

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

whoevermade that decision should be FIRED

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i dont want to hear usf has "no money"

if they can blow 3 million like this

they have lots of money

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

...  Not a bad severance package.

...basically can be looked at as a buyout. ...

Exactly the way I see it.

• Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

If you look at the legal costs and the continuing bad press, it made sense for USF to settle with Leavitt to make him go away.  Even if USF knew that they had an ironclad defense against Leavitt, they knew it was going to cost them.  This was a civil case, not a criminal case, so a jury might have sympathized with Leavitt and created a firestorm for USF.  If they did win against Leavitt in court, then they knew that they would never recoup their legal costs against him because he was not working and has no way to repay their legal costs.

It was not worth fighting to the bitter end because it was a civil case.  No one was going to jail over this.  It was only going to cost money, so this was probably the cheapest and quickest route to close this case.

Miller's parents hired Cohen to protect him from reprisal.  Sure Cohen was posturing, but it worked.  That is part of the legal game.  Anyone with half a brain would understand why they got a lawyer to protect their son.  Miller was one of the unsung heroes in the defeat of UM this year, so he has shown that he is a valuable member of the team.

All I'm going to say is that I have it from good sources that there is more to Cohen's involvement in all of this than meets the eye.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Perfect end to this saga really as both can claim victory.  Not a bad severance package.

Have to ask yourself as this basically can be looked at as a buyout.  If the Miller incident didn't happen and USF knew this is what they could've paid to make a change, would they have done it to get Holtz?  I think it was up for discussion and the Miller incident provided them with a chance at a "cheap" way out even though they probably guessed it would come to this anyway and it was worth the cost.

This.

Good luck, Jim.  Thanks again for everything you did.

Archived