• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

jim leavitt and usf settle

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Perfect end to this saga really as both can claim victory.  Not a bad severance package.

Have to ask yourself as this basically can be looked at as a buyout.  If the Miller incident didn't happen and USF knew this is what they could've paid to make a change, would they have done it to get Holtz?  I think it was up for discussion and the Miller incident provided them with a chance at a "cheap" way out even though they probably guessed it would come to this anyway and it was worth the cost.

Seems fair to me. Both sides got what they wanted...USF gets out of a long-term contract that they probably realized, late in the game, should not have been pursued, and CJL walks away with a settlement which, on the surface, looks like an apology from USF that he was indeed 'wrongfully' terminated. I think the overall Miller/CJL/USF issue was very unfortunate and should have been settled, but this did provide an opportunity. And we all know what to do when Mr. Opportunity raps on the door. Glad to see this fading in the rear view mirror.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I'm waiting for the "30 30" Film or an "Outside the Lines" special.

:satan

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Not to toot my own horn, but...toot  ;)

back to the topic at hand: i fully believe that a lawsuit will never be forthcoming as all of this was a horse and pony show instigated by usf. i believe that usf put the millers in contact with cohen and are trying to use his presence in an underhanded attempt to undermine leavitt's very strong wrongful termination claim. at the end of the day look for leavitt to get $2 to $3 million

USF handled the situation completely wrong, regardless of what Leavitt did or didn't do. I'm happy that the University can put this behind them at a relatively reasonable dollar figure and that Coach Leavitt can now focus on his true passion in life once again. Here is to good things in the future to all the parties involved.

First of all, there WAS a lawsuit filed, so you were wrong about that.

And regarding the settlement ... do you think you were the only one to predict a settlement?

I'm not sure what you're "tooting" exactly.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

I'm waiting for the "30 30" Film or an "Outside the Lines" special.

:satan

hahaha! nice.

• Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

Glad this is settled--for JL and for the FB program.  Not really a huge amount of money, though, when you figure a third goes to the attorney and another third to the IRS.  He's walking away with under a million--and he had no income this past 12 months.  Hope he's able to land another job quickly and move on. He was great for USF and this should never have happened.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I'm happy for CJL and hope that he is able to find a coaching gig soon.  The guy bled Green and Gold for a long time and took us from nothing to where we are now.  He is deserving of gratitude from all Bulls fans and USF alumni.

Good Luck JL  :gobulls

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

so since he settled...does he still have baggage? How would other colleges view this whole ordeal? Just wondering.

Coaches look at it like this. I can do whatever I want in front of the players. As long as its not on film, I can do what I want. I can abuse players if I want. I can insult them if I want. And if I get fired, there is a big check waiting for me down the road. All I have to do is deny, act indigent and sue. Cha Ching.

:D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

so since he settled...does he still have baggage? How would other colleges view this whole ordeal? Just wondering.

Coaches look at it like this. I can do whatever I want in front of the players. As long as its not on film, I can do what I want. I can abuse players if I want. I can insult them if I want. And if I get fired, there is a big check waiting for me down the road. All I have to do is deny, act indigent and sue. Cha Ching.

True isn't it? What is stopping any coach in America with a contract from restraining themselves behind closed doors. They get fired, they sue and get paid. They just have to look indignant for the cameras and deny it....all the while their lawyer is right there next to them.

You are absolutely right .... Right now 100's of college football coaches are concocting ways to beat the **** out of a player and turn it into a quick $3 mil ...

You cannot be serious?  ;)

What school in their right mind would want him after this fiasco.

Who knows  .... maybe none. It will definitely be a tough sell to an administration for a while but only time will tell...

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

True isn't it? What is stopping any coach in America with a contract from restraining themselves behind closed doors. They get fired, they sue and get paid. They just have to look indignant for the cameras and deny it....all the while their lawyer is right there next to them. What school in their right mind would want him after this fiasco. Its obvious he can't own up to anything he does, he will just sue. Why chance that and hire him???

USF didn't have to settle, if they thought they had a rock solid case. Apparently, they thought it was best to do this for themselves. Leavitt had every right to bring a wrongful termination case. If the two parties are satisfied, then it's over.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Confused here. After attacking a player is the coach supposed to be indigent or indignant?  Maybe both?

Also, is jon voigt going to be the next coach at Michigan?

Archived