• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East APPROVES to evaluate expansion options

Dogma

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Anybody listen to Miller and Moultion or Steve Duming this afternoon? I heard they were talking about expansion...

Listening to M and M. Been all UCF/USF on the show......

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  424

I don't see the problem with having UCF in the conference.  I would be bummed if there were no TCU though.

The problems is, they do have great potential and a fan base given the chance at BCS would grow. This will negatively impact USF becasue:

1) In a state where there is already 4 BCS teams, one more will further weaken our recruiting base. Of the four BCS teams in florida somoeone will be affected by this and it won't be FSU, Miami or UF.

2) People see us as "twins" already. Don't we, as USF alumni, students and fans, want to be the best? To be the best you have to either beat your competition (FSU, Miami) or not give them equal footing as you (UCF).

3) Big East has a Florida presence, why add another? I can easily go to the Orlando market and people talk about USF. Do people talk UCF here in Tampa? very very seldom. Big East needs a presence in other markets, TCU and Houston are good because although they are in the same state, their markets do not overlap.

All the smack talk aside, and the fact that they have some of the biggest douches as fans, what's best for the USF athletic football program at this point in time is to not see UCF on the same level as us PERIOD All of you getting all giddy at the thought of our ONE freaking game a year with them need to take off the green and gold goggles and try to see what's best for US right now.

• Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

The problems is, they do have great potential and a fan base given the chance at BCS would grow. This will negatively impact USF becasue:

1) In a state where there is already 4 BCS teams, one more will further weaken our recruiting base. Of the four BCS teams in florida somoeone will be affected by this and it won't be FSU, Miami or UF.

2) People see us as "twins" already. Don't we, as USF alumni, students and fans, want to be the best? To be the best you have to either beat your competition (FSU, Miami) or not give them equal footing as you (UCF).

3) Big East has a Florida presence, why add another? I can easily go to the Orlando market and people talk about USF. Do people talk UCF here in Tampa? very very seldom. Big East needs a presence in other markets, TCU and Houston are good because although they are in the same state, their markets do not overlap.

All the smack talk aside, and the fact that they have some of the biggest douches as fans, what's best for the USF athletic football program at this point in time is to not see UCF on the same level as us PERIOD All of you getting all giddy at the thought of our ONE freaking game a year with them need to take off the green and gold goggles and try to see what's best for US right now.

• Content Count:  259

What is best for the conference as a whole will be better for USF. If UCF brings in money to the conference on to of the increased gate for both teams for the game then its good for USF. With a block of teams in central florida we might finally get a little better tv coverage locally.

• Content Count:  470

... adding UCiF would severely damage our recruitment edge in football because they have a football OCS, I see it this way...

I don't understand this.  

Why is it assumed that recruits are necessarily drawn to on-campus stadiums; especially, in this case, an inferior one?  

I can only consider this situation as if I was a recruit.  And, from that perspective, an on-campus stadium would only appeal to me if it promoted some sort of special gameday atmosphere.  I traveled to Orlando when we played them while I was a student, and there was nothing particularly special about the campus on gameday that served to counter how inferior that stadium was to RJS.  

I know if I was being recruited, I'd go to the school with the professional facilities, that's been most recently putting players in the League.  

• Content Count:  46

RJS is nice but it's rented.  There is also a Pirate ship in the end zone.  IF we were ECU, that would be great.  UCF has put a lot of kids in the NFL and their facilities (outside of the OCS) are superior to ours.  They have a great recreation center/great weight training facility, dorms right next to practice fields, etc.  If they get a BCS invite, our small edge in recruiting disappears.  But I think there is enough talent to go around.  Some lower level BCS schools (KState, Purdue, etc.) will suffer as more of those kids will choose to stay home.

• Content Count:  4,642

if UCiF gets in then all the money from their fans who come to ray jay goes to supporting our future OCS. thanks UCiF fans for supporting USF athletics!

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Don't know if this has been posted but UCF is saying they haven't had any contact with BE

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5760971

TCU came out with the same quote.  The Big East is keeping everything on the hush.  No one will say a single word, specifically the Universities that want in.  They are not going to take the risk of A) looking stupid for being in talks with and then not getting invited and B) spoiling their chance by talking about the expansion when the Big East specifically asked everyone not to.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  424

By that logic, Pitt will veto Villanova or Temple.

Right, because the Pitt and USF football programs are at the same stage of development .... We just won our 100th game, Pitt won theirs 99 freaking years ago ... The BCS tag on Nova or Temple (which already had it once) won't mean a thing to an established program like Pitt ... Take off your Green and Gold goggles.

Archived