• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East APPROVES to evaluate expansion options

Dogma

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

UCF will be the other team.  Book it.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

UCF will be the other team.  Book it.

If TCU says no, then I would agree, but I would be shocked if TCU said no.

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Franchisees always balk and squeal when a franchisor wants to open a new shop down the street.  USF complaining about UCF is not unexpected, the franchisor (conference) will do what it wants--it's just business!

• Content Count:  21,037
  • Days Won:  38

I don't see the problem with having UCF in the conference.  I would be bummed if there were no TCU though.

• Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

I don't see the problem with having UCF in the conference.  I would be bummed if there were no TCU though.

recruiting

• Content Count:  132
  • Days Won:  0

The problems is, they do have great potential and a fan base given the chance at BCS would grow. This will negatively impact USF becasue:

1) In a state where there is already 4 BCS teams, one more will further weaken our recruiting base. Of the four BCS teams in florida somoeone will be affected by this and it won't be FSU, Miami or UF.

2) People see us as "twins" already. Don't we, as USF alumni, students and fans, want to be the best? To be the best you have to either beat your competition (FSU, Miami) or not give them equal footing as you (UCF).

3) Big East has a Florida presence, why add another? I can easily go to the Orlando market and people talk about USF. Do people talk UCF here in Tampa? very very seldom. Big East needs a presence in other markets, TCU and Houston are good because although they are in the same state, their markets do not overlap.

• Content Count:  3,475

The problems is, they do have great potential and a fan base given the chance at BCS would grow. This will negatively impact USF becasue:

1) In a state where there is already 4 BCS teams, one more will further weaken our recruiting base. Of the four BCS teams in florida somoeone will be affected by this and it won't be FSU, Miami or UF.

2) People see us as "twins" already. Don't we, as USF alumni, students and fans, want to be the best? To be the best you have to either beat your competition (FSU, Miami) or not give them equal footing as you (UCF).

3) Big East has a Florida presence, why add another? I can easily go to the Orlando market and people talk about USF. Do people talk UCF here in Tampa? very very seldom. Big East needs a presence in other markets, TCU and Houston are good because although they are in the same state, their markets do not overlap.

I don't hear about USF in Orlando any more or less than I hear about UCF in Tampa.

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I agree with you 100 percent Bull2001. Hopefully USF does what they can to keep UCF out. I'd be perfectly happy with TCU and Villanova. I also wish I were reading how ECU and Houston would be willing to step up if TCU wouldn't accept an invitation, but I'm not.

• Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

Kick out Depaul, Marquette, and Notre Dame in all other sports. Add TCU (Dallas), UH (Houston), and Temple (Philly) to replace them in all other sports as well as in football.  Remember, Temple is 26,000 undergraduate students-- it's basically a USF/UCF of Philadelphia-- sure beats tiny little Villanova.  Kick out Providence in all sports, pull BC back in for all sports (with football).  That makes a 12-team football league, 16 team basketball league with major major markets.  Have the Championship game in the Citrus Bowl, just to get UCF pissed off.

Create the Big East Network, with markets in Boston, NYC, Philly, Washington DC, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Dallas, Houston.. watch the money flow in.

and before anyone goes out on a limb and says UH, Temple, and Memphis are trash football programs, let's not forget we were mediocre in C-USA before we joined.  It's about the potential & media markets, not the current win/loss state.

• Content Count:  10,565

Kick out Depaul, Marquette, and Notre Dame in all other sports. Add TCU (Dallas), UH (Houston), and Temple (Philly) to replace them in all other sports as well as in football.  Remember, Temple is 26,000 undergraduate students-- it's basically a USF/UCF of Philadelphia-- sure beats tiny little Villanova.  Kick out Providence in all sports, pull BC back in for all sports (with football).  That makes a 12-team football league, 16 team basketball league with major major markets.  Have the Championship game in the Citrus Bowl, just to get UCF pissed off.

and before anyone goes out on a limb and says UH, Temple, and Memphis are trash football programs, let's not forget we were mediocre in C-USA before we joined.  It's about the potential & media markets, not the current win/loss state.

The only limb I'd climb out on in this scenario is the one where you think BC is coming back to the Big East. No chance for that.

Archived