• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East APPROVES to evaluate expansion options

Dogma

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Just not another CUSA team.

AFC South then?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  46
  • Days Won:  0

For those talking up Villanova, the announcement said they wanted to expand by 2012.  Villanova won't be ready until 2014 at the earliest.  I predict TCU and Houston/UCF in 2012 followed by Villanova and UCF/Houston in 2014.

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  0

Just not another CUSA team.

AFC South then?

Obviously.  Conference USA is so beneath the mighty Big East.  Colts and Titans in 2012, Jags and Texans in 2014.  Although, the Jags may compete with us for recruits so let's add UAB instead ::)

• Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

For those talking up Villanova, the announcement said they wanted to expand by 2012.  Villanova won't be ready until 2014 at the earliest.  I predict TCU and Houston/UCF in 2012 followed by Villanova and UCF/Houston in 2014.

I would take that! 

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

You can expand by 1 (TCU) for 2010. It solves the unbalanced league schedule issue and you give Villanova the 2 extra years to prepare.

Going to 12 teams for football is a big mistake.

• Content Count:  5,881

For those wondering if any basketball schools can be kicked out - stop tossing around names of charter members who have been there since 1979. Those won't get booted. You can only hope they decide to drop dead-weight DePaul, and while Marquette has been great in hoops, sacrifices must be made. That gives you at least two spots open, and might **** off Notre Dame enough to pack its bags and take its non-football sports to the A-10 or something.

f4a3786d93fc86694fe0f1224db68fb1.png

I also think if schools are to be kicked out, it should be depaul and marquette.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

a 1aa team wont help the big east

You aren't looking in the long term. TCU could come in immediately as the 9th member. Villanova then has a few years to build their program at the 1 A level before joining the league.

With TCU in early you fix the scheduling for an even 4 home/4 road in big East play.

Grabbing the Philly and Dallas/Ft. Worth tv markets would be big opportunity to get the Big East tv network off the ground.

While I would love to see that, does it matter if we're in the Philly market even if nobody watches? BE had the Philly market but tossed it out ... Hope you're right, though.

They didn't have their own tv network and Temple wasn't drawing fans. Temple probably has better attendance now than they did back in the Big East days.

I don't know if this was touched on already... still trying to dig through the 9 pages...  but according to ESPN, Temple is listed as a possible backup to Nova if they turn down the offer which I expect them to do.

Also ESPN mentions that TCU is not going to join the Big East as a football only member... thus UCiF is looking like the only lock for expansion... they mention that we might try to block it, but I seriously doubt we have that much weight in the BEast to block such an addition.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5756898&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thus if we want TCU then we will need to kick out a basketball team like Marquette or DePaul... so basically based on what I have read we could get any of the following matchups, but only TCU if we drop a basketball team.

#09 - TCU

#10 - Nova

#XX - Drop DePaul

#09 - TCU

#10 - Temple

#XX - Drop DePaul

#09 - TCU

#10 - UCiF

#XX - Drop DePaul & Marquette

#09 - Nova

#10 - Temple

#XX - Drop No One

Or

#09 - UCiF

#10 - Nova

#XX - Drop DePaul

#09 - UCiF

#10 - Temple

#XX - Drop DePaul

I don't see the BEast adding 2 non-football schools unless TCU and Nova turns them down which is very likely. Nova might not want to incur the extra costs in a bad economy and TCU wants to be a full member. Meanwhile Temple would gladly become a football only member and UCiF might as well.

Gonna be an interesting season!!!

• Content Count:  10,565

Also ESPN mentions that TCU is not going to join the Big East as a football only member... thus UCiF is looking like the only lock for expansion... they mention that we might try to block it, but I seriously doubt we have that much weight in the BEast to block such an addition.

UCF isn't going to join as a football only member either.

TCU is far and away target #1. If they're offered, they'll join. That'll give Villanova the extra years to build recruiting for joining the league down the road.

USF wouldn't have to block UCF. The northern programs will do that.

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Joe Shad just spoke on The Herd (espnU) and told Colin TCU and Villanova were the one's likely to join the Big East. He then said UCF would be considered a backup or third in line. Colin then preceded to say the Big East is a joke because of adding Villanova..lol. He's killing the Big East.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Villanova is a bad idea for longterm on the field performance.

Villanova is a good idea to break the 8-8 deadlock with the basketball schools and for the football schools to take control of the conference.

Archived