• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East APPROVES to evaluate expansion options

Dogma

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

UCF has already stated that it will not accept any football-only invite...no matter how bad they want BCS.

The Big East may very well look to add in 1 team for football only membership and I can see their angle in doing so.

From today's ESPN article, "League sources indicated to ESPN.com Big East reporter Brian Bennett that TCU and Central Florida are the top possible outside candidates, along with Villanova. The Big East would prefer to bring in schools as football-only members so as to not add to the 16-team basketball alignment.

If this is indeed the case, then TCU and UCF wouldn't be saying yes. You're probably looking at Temple or Navy at that point.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  0

Kick out Depaul, Marquette, and Notre Dame in all other sports. Add TCU (Dallas), UH (Houston), and Temple (Philly) to replace them in all other sports as well as in football.  Remember, Temple is 26,000 undergraduate students-- it's basically a USF/UCF of Philadelphia-- sure beats tiny little Villanova.  Kick out Providence in all sports, pull BC back in for all sports (with football).  That makes a 12-team football league, 16 team basketball league with major major markets.  Have the Championship game in the Citrus Bowl, just to get UCF pissed off.

and before anyone goes out on a limb and says UH, Temple, and Memphis are trash football programs, let's not forget we were mediocre in C-USA before we joined.  It's about the potential & media markets, not the current win/loss state.

Providence isn't being kicked anywhere, founding member and whatnot. BC is a pipe dream. Again, the basketball side of the conference fucks up a pretty decent plan.  Would rather have ECU than Memphis, and replace BC with UCF but I could get on board with what you laid out.  Big East football can either take a stand or cease to exist.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I don't see the problem with having UCF in the conference.  I would be bummed if there were no TCU though.

recruiting

Very true... adding UCiF would severely damage our recruitment edge in football because they have a football OCS, I see it this way... if the Big East adds UCiF, which there is about a 70% chance of that occuring, then it would force USF to plan out and build a state of the art football stadium within 10-15 years.

As for the other sports, all of our other new stadium upgrades will make our facilities as good or better then their facilities... even the ole crusty Sun Dome will be 100 times better after the $26 million dollar renovation plan and give UCiF's basketball arena a run for the money.

Competition in this case is good for USF because it will get them out of Ray Jay and into an OCS much sooner.

• Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

I don't see the problem with having UCF in the conference.  I would be bummed if there were no TCU though.

recruiting

Very true... adding UCiF would severely damage our recruitment edge in football because they have a football OCS, I see it this way... if the Big East adds UCiF, which there is about a 70% chance of that occuring, then it would force USF to plan out and build a state of the art football stadium within 10-15 years.

As for the other sports, all of our other new stadium upgrades will make our facilities as good or better then their facilities... even the ole crusty Sun Dome will be 100 times better after the $26 million dollar renovation plan and give UCiF's basketball arena a run for the money.

Competition in this case is good for USF because it will get them out of Ray Jay and into an OCS much sooner.

I know people don't want to have them be "on the same level" as USF, but I the only complaint I ever had with playing them was that USF didn't gain much by winning (not BCS school).  If it is a conference opponent, you would have a cool rivalry with conference implications on the line.  Then again, I don't fear change. 

In terms of recruiting, are we really that scared?  It's all about having a good coaching staff that can develop the players.

• Content Count:  65

recruiting

I know people don't want to have them be "on the same level" as USF, but I the only complaint I ever had with playing them was that USF didn't gain much by winning (not BCS school).  If it is a conference opponent, you would have a cool rivalry with conference implications on the line.  Then again, I don't fear change. 

In terms of recruiting, are we really that scared?  It's all about having a good coaching staff that can develop the players.

THIS... from a pure fan standpoint, this would be awesome, have a serious rivalry game in conference, and within driving distance is something that fans from both our schools would love... and it would be great for both programs from a $$$ and even recruiting standpoint (just from the hype of the annual game, TV coverage)...

• Content Count:  65

Anybody listen to Miller and Moultion or Steve Duming this afternoon? I heard they were talking about expansion...

• Content Count:  132

recruiting

This has nothing to do with fearing change. If the change was to add Notre Dame and Penn State everyone would agree to that change. What this has to do with is protecting the interests of USF and growing our football program. The best coaching staff in college football can only do so much in developing one or two star level players. 

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Good questions posed by Brian Bennett in this ESPN article....

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/14534/big-east-expansion-five-burnng-questions

• Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

recruiting

This has nothing to do with fearing change. If the change was to add Notre Dame and Penn State everyone would agree to that change. What this has to do with is protecting the interests of USF and growing our football program. The best coaching staff in college football can only do so much in developing one or two star level players. 

Well obviously I would love to see those teams join! But I was more looking at the reality of who is out there and who would actually want to join.

• Content Count:  639

Anybody listen to Miller and Moultion or Steve Duming this afternoon? I heard they were talking about expansion...

most tampa media specifically radio are so ignorant about UCF that their opinions are worthless

Archived