• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East APPROVES to evaluate expansion options

Dogma

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  0

Joe Shad just spoke on The Herd (espnU) and told Colin TCU and Villanova were the one's likely to join the Big East. He then said UCF would be considered a backup or third in line. Colin then preceded to say the Big East is a joke because of adding Villanova..lol. He's killing the Big East.

There was also going to definitely be a PAC-16.  I'll believe the whos and whens of expansion when it happens.  Why is it just accepted that basketball gets to dictate how this whole thing unfolds? Anyone seriously think the Big East would be considering ******* Villanova if it weren't for the bball?

What's wrong with telling the basketball schools to suck it, invite TCU, Houston, UCF, and ECU, and forming an all sports conference with a giant media base that's solid on both the basketball and football side?  It gives you obvious North/South divisions and a championship game and we can stop with all the "Take away their AQ status" talk.

I'm sure there are 50 reasons that won't work because it looks so obvious.  Go.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Villanova is a bad idea for longterm on the field performance.

That remains to be seen.

You can't say they will be a bad addition if they decide to join in another 4 years.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Joe Shad just spoke on The Herd (espnU) and told Colin TCU and Villanova were the one's likely to join the Big East. He then said UCF would be considered a backup or third in line. Colin then preceded to say the Big East is a joke because of adding Villanova..lol. He's killing the Big East.

There was also going to definitely be a PAC-16.  I'll believe the whos and whens of expansion when it happens.  Why is it just accepted that basketball gets to dictate how this whole thing unfolds? Anyone seriously think the Big East would be considering ******* Villanova if it weren't for the bball?

What's wrong with telling the basketball schools to suck it, invite TCU, Houston, UCF, and ECU, and forming an all sports conference with a giant media base that's solid on both the basketball and football side?  It gives you obvious North/South divisions and a championship game and we can stop with all the "Take away their AQ status" talk.

I'm sure there are 50 reasons that won't work because it looks so obvious.  Go.

Yeah I would love if the football schools split off. There must be a reason they aren't.

Because you'll lose all the $$$$ of the nice TV deal the league has.

This expansion is just for the sake of expanding. The Big East is trying to do 2 things: 1) Strengthen the league (TCU and TCU only does this), and 2) Position itself to have it's own TV network (Dallas and Philadelphia are the best markets to add).

• Content Count:  711

For those talking up Villanova, the announcement said they wanted to expand by 2012.  Villanova won't be ready until 2014 at the earliest.  I predict TCU and Houston/UCF in 2012 followed by Villanova and UCF/Houston in 2014.

Actually that rule expires this summer.  So it could get interesting.

Dennis Dodd just reported that Nova is 50/50 on the idea.  Their athletic budget would most likely go full time to football in order to get it all together and a stadium in out of the question.  Fans won't buy into the idea, either.  If Nova does finally decline...Football schools get their way and UCF and TCU will be added.

For those talking up Villanova, the announcement said they wanted to expand by 2012.  Villanova won't be ready until 2014 at the earliest.  I predict TCU and Houston/UCF in 2012 followed by Villanova and UCF/Houston in 2014.

Dennis Dodd just reported that Nova is 50/50 on the idea.  Their athletic budget would most likely go full time to football in order to get it all together and a stadium in out of the question.  Fans won't buy into the idea, either.  If Nova does finally decline...Football schools get their way and UCF and TCU will be added.

I wouldn't disagree there. If 'Nova does in fact decline, then I can see the league adding just 1 program, which would be TCU. I believe they came up with the expansion of 2 with Villanova in mind. I'd have to think that the people in the Big East meeting room know a bit more than Dodd does on Villanova.

• Content Count:  1,027

Because you'll lose all the $$$$ of the nice TV deal the league has.

This expansion is just for the sake of expanding. The Big East is trying to do 2 things: 1) Strengthen the league (TCU and TCU only does this), and 2) Position itself to have it's own TV network (Dallas and Philadelphia are the best markets to add).

Certainly a TV deal can be reached between ESPN and "New Conference X".  Yes, you lose some basketball clout, but make up for it on the football side, which is where most of the money is.  The basketball only schools care about whats good for the basketball only schools.  It's time the football schools do the same.

I don't agree that TCU is the only school that strengthens the league.  If every other conference were a 9 team conference then you'd be right, but that's not the state of things.  Houston, UCF and ECU are all solid.  They would all be very competitive in short order.  Top to bottom the Big East would be stronger than the MWC and WAC certainly and as strong as the ACC, who's auto-bid isn't being questioned by the way.  I'm not enamored with the idea of a 12 team conference but that's the way it's going to be I'm afraid.

And just to reiterate I effing hate the idea of adding Villanova

I don't agree that TCU is the only school that strengthens the league.  If every other conference were a 9 team conference then you'd be right, but that's not the state of things.  Houston, UCF and ECU are all solid.  They would all be very competitive in short order.  Top to bottom the Big East would be stronger than the MWC and WAC certainly and as strong as the ACC, who's auto-bid isn't being questioned by the way.  I'm not enamored with the idea of a 12 team conference but that's the way it's going to be I'm afraid.

TCU is ranked #3 in the BCS right? They have national appeal. ECU, UCF, and Houston do not have that at this time. Adding TCU alone makes the Big East stronger than the future MWC.

Not sure why the ACC's auto bid isn't being questioned. The Big East champion has finished ahead of the ACC champion in 4 of the 5 years since realignment, so if the Big East is to be questioned, then so should the ACC.

I still don't see the league going to 12 teams. You need look no further than the ACC to see that going to 12 teams doesn't necessarily mean better things.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Good point, I have seen this mentioned on ESPN, and forgot until now, that there might be a power struggle between football and basketball going on right now.

I don't see Nova blowing its entire budget and putting basketball on the back burner to make a premature jump to a BCS conference. I see the basketball schools behind the push for Nova to make the jump to retain power. If they were really interested they would had indicated so months ago when they got the invite. Instead they have been very unenthusiastic and the media has pointed out that the money and fan base is not there to do this.

Also everything I have read indicates that the Big East has not indicated that they plan on cutting any Basketball teams loose. Right now they appear to be looking to add football only schools and are praying to god that Nova chooses to join them as well. It seems that with every day that passes Temple's name gets thrown around more and more as a possible addition because they will be all to eager to join as a football only school.

I don't see TCU joining unless the Big East adds them as an all-sports member like they did with Miami and WV back in the day.

I do see UCiF joining though, they are drooling at the mouth to get into a BCS conference one way or another and do see them joining as a football only member with some kind of provision that they can be an all sports member IF they do x,y, & z over x amount of years.

Temple, well they are the only lock to be added back in... however I don't see how adding Temple or Nova is going to make us any stronger. In fact this will only make us weaker given the big name schools that are moving around between the other conferences. The Big10 adds Nebraska... the PAC10 adds Colorado & Utah... and we add Temple and Nova... this does nothing to make us stronger and only fixes the scheduling issues.

I see the Big East making a move before summer in the hopes of keeping the conference together and fending off the Big 10 who is still eying Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, and UConn. If we hope to stay alive then we need to add quality teams or at least some mid level teams.

For me the Big East's choice to add 2 teams screams that the Big10 is looking to take some of our teams.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Villanova is a bad idea for longterm on the field performance.

That remains to be seen.

You can't say they will be a bad addition if they decide to join in another 4 years.

I agree I am guessing somewhat.  However, small private school in a city-environment does not scream longterm college football success.  I know Miami and Southern Cal do it, but both of those schools are in recruiting hotbeds which Eastern PA is not.

Archived