• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do you think our coaches have been holding plays back?

We will have new playes for the first Big East Game  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

To think that the former coaching staff went into a game without having proper game plans is pretty foolish.  The problems they ran into, more so on offense, was their inability to make proper adjustments during the game.  Especially in certain key situations.  That's what ultimately cost us several big ball games and the one thing I am hoping for, but haven't really had the opprtunity to seen from this coaching staff yet

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Holding plays back?  We think that there are some plays we are running so well in practice that the staff says "we run those really well, save those for later in the year."  I doubt that very much.

I do think that there are some things that they cannot run with the current WRs available so they have pared those down.  If Griffin and Love can get back healthy you will see expansion of the passing game.

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Well I think what most are saying is we prabably aren't purposely holding plays back per se but just because the team is so young and injuries at WR are holding the playcalling back.

It may have the same effect however. I would imagin we may see several new wrinkles when we start playing WVU, Cincy, Rutgers & Pitt.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

i voted yes but not because we're going into BE play, but moreso bc we've had the injuries at receiver.  CSH is smart enough not to throw in every play if the personnel are not in AND if the personnel are not ready, ie BJ still learning the system and how to play in that system.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I like the fact that Holtz and co. look at each game and plan for each, and then think about what that team things about how they might play us, then reverse engineers the game from the inside out and outside in.

I think he knew he didn't need much to beat WKU, figured we'd wear them down, adn went with the run.  In UF, the run was very effective first half.  But UF learned quickly and played a different second half.  We could not adjust to the changes due to injury.

Now that he has a few more weapons, we are in better shape than before.  I think he will go with new plays and it will be a bit more exciting this weekend.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Holding plays back?  We think that there are some plays we are running so well in practice that the staff says "we run those really well, save those for later in the year."  I doubt that very much.

I do think that there are some things that they cannot run with the current WRs available so they have pared those down.  If Griffin and Love can get back healthy you will see expansion of the passing game.

I agree with this but i do think we that the last two games we held back on the variety of option plays we used at UF due to not needing them.  I think we see more option once we get into conference play and now with the WR's back i wouldn't be surprised to see us move the pocket a bit which cuts the field in half for BJ and gives him an option to run.  We aren't holding back some super secret offense that we haven't shown but rather have been limited by injuries and the game plans we needed to beat WKU and FAU didn't call for us to run the option since we could just pound it between the tackles and limit the amount of hits that BJ took before we got into conference.  The coaches know we don't have anything behind BJ (Eveld would be a disaster as a starter) so they didn't want to let him take unnecessary hits in games that weren't big times games (UF obviously was a big game) and didn't count towards our ultimate goal, winning the conference. 

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I like the fact that Holtz and co. look at each game and plan for each, and then think about what that team things about how they might play us, then reverse engineers the game from the inside out and outside in.

I think he knew he didn't need much to beat WKU, figured we'd wear them down, adn went with the run.  In UF, the run was very effective first half.  But UF learned quickly and played a different second half.  We could not adjust to the changes due to injury.

Now that he has a few more weapons, we are in better shape than before.  I think he will go with new plays and it will be a bit more exciting this weekend.

please stop with the "UF stopped us from running in the 2nd half" myth.

we ran for more yards and had a higher per carry average in the 2nd half and that was with a 4th quarter (4 carries - 10 yards)where we abandoned the run because of the score. the only thing that stopped us were the turnovers.

they aren't purposely holding anything back. they are doing just enough to win. we haven't had to go very deep in the playbook because these games haven't been in doubt. we will open it up due to necessity.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

please stop with the "UF stopped us from running in the 2nd half" myth.

we ran for more yards and had a higher per carry average in the 2nd half and that was with a 4th quarter (4 carries - 10 yards)where we abandoned the run because of the score. the only thing that stopped us were the turnovers.

they aren't purposely holding anything back. they are doing just enough to win. we haven't had to go very deep in the playbook because these games haven't been in doubt. we will open it up due to necessity.

I agree... what stopped us was the lack of depth at wide out and some very bad choices by BJ

• Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

You'll be surprised how different plays look when you improve the personnel running them.  Our WR group has been decimated so I doubt we were running many of the longer routes you'll start to see if we get guys back.  Doesn't do you any good to even call them if the guys you got can't get loose deep anyway.  We saw it at UF, we didn't have a single WR that could've beat their DBs deep, so why even call deep passes?  With guys coming back, I expect it to open up quite a bit more as everything becomes more efficient.  From what I've seen of our Big East competition, it's going to be more on us to hit guys and run the plays correctly more than these defenses stopping us.  Seriously, has anyone been scared by any Big East defense this season?  RU and UConn tonight looked like LBs were playing at the CB/DB positions they were so slow.  Every WR on both teams were open on every route by 5 yards.  Whether they were hit or not is another question.  I was really worried about this season, but this may end up being one of those seasons where we don't win any game big, but we pull out more than we expect.  And I expect our kick/punt return unit to be a big part of that as Mitchell/Lamar get better back there and STs get's more and more practice with this staff.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

To think that the former coaching staff went into a game without having proper game plans is pretty foolish. 

Former OC Gregory said as much. Something about slapping plays together and seeing how it works. I'm sure the internet savants can find it and post it. It was akin to saying we run sandlot football.

Archived