• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF turned down a 2 for 1 with Texas.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

As was stated by the pprevious poster if UNC and KU kick our asses then we have no business talking about texas. we played Oklahoma got our asses kicked and tell me what did it get us?

The facts is that selling yourself as a winner does more for your program than anything else.

The Bulls have been very careful in setting up their schedules and look where we are. UCF took a lot of trips to big boys got their asses whipped and tell me who you think is better off.

I have no problems playing the Big Boys but i much rather set our schedule where we match up with one of them yearly rather than just get three of them OCC games like that.

we are in a BCS conference now and will probably be playing two ranked teams in conference play.

Look at other BCS teams and tell me how many big games OCC they have?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

I only read page 1 of this.  When you are a BCS program (we are,) you sign NO (repeat after me) NO 2-1's unless it's in your favor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good job woolard!!!!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879

I'm glad we've got that settled!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17

I could see not wanting to play a 2 for 1 with a lower-tier BCS school.... but come on, it's Texas, they are NATIONAL CHAMPS.  Assuming they maintain Top 10 status in the coming years, a win against them early season would put you close to Top-25 on the polls.

If I were USF I would schedule the following OOC games each year:

USF - UCF (I don't know why most of you are against this, it happened to sell 45k tickets which I believe was the 2nd highest for your school's history... )

One game against either UF,Miami,FSU

One Game against a team like Texas

One "easy" win against a team like Buffalo or what have you.

When the National Champions come a knockin'..just don't play chicken...nor expect a 1 for 1 deal...you aren't anywhere close in the position to demand that yet!

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Who says we don't need 2 for 1's? We havent ever really taken 2 for 1's anyway, we always were stuck just doing a one game payday.  I don't remember any 2 for 1 games.  We are not at the level yet to be able to sign 1 for 1 games with the tops teams like texas.  We are beyond the 1 game pay days but arent to the point of demanding 1for 1s either.  DW continues to make bad decisions on what's best for usf.  A game in Austin would have been awesome and having a team like texas playing in Tampa, would be even more awesome.  Talk about publicity, that game would easily sellout.  What a shame that UCF will benefit from this instead of us.   We should not pass up an oppotunity like this.

That's bull, there's a program nearly as big as Texas trying to finalize a 1 for 1 with us.

Stop fixating on things that you read in the paper then grabbing on like that's the only facts to the case.  WE SHOULD NEVER SIGN 2 for 1 deals, EVER, NEVER, EVER.

IF YOU ALL WANT TO BE BCS THEN ACT LIKE IT.  DON'T SAY WE CAN'T GET BIG PROGRAMS TO AGREE TO 1-1'S WHEN ONE JUST SIGNED A CONSECUTIVE DEAL WITH US AND ANOTHER IS COMING.

Let Texas sign the 2 and 3 for ones with the C-DOA, and WAC teams.  Do you all still equate yourself to those programs.  If you want to be big time you must act like it.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I could see not wanting to play a 2 for 1 with a lower-tier BCS school.... but come on, it's Texas, they are NATIONAL CHAMPS.  Assuming they maintain Top 10 status in the coming years, a win against them early season would put you close to Top-25 on the polls.

If I were USF I would schedule the following OOC games each year:

USF - UCF (I don't know why most of you are against this, it happened to sell 45k tickets which I believe was the 2nd highest for your school's history... )

One game against either UF,Miami,FSU

One Game against a team like Texas

One "easy" win against a team like Buffalo or what have you.

When the National Champions come a knockin'..just don't play chicken...nor expect a 1 for 1 deal...you aren't anywhere close in the position to demand that yet!

That's STUPID.  You're saying, come on, it's Texas the National Champs.  It's OK to be THEIR BIT**.

USF is no one's BIT**, that's the facts.  Those that don't get that need to hop off the bus right now.  Those that don't think playing UL, WVU, PITT, and Miami are not enough, need to jump off the bus right now.  The train is leaving the track soon, all the real fans are on board.  We're not stopping, Woolards scheduling beautifully, Leavitt's building a great team....look out.

WHOO WHOO!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17

Hey, If you wanta be national champions one day, you gotta have one hell of a schedule and dominate in it.

When we hired GOL he said from day 1 he has no desire in making a program Top 25...he wants to develop a program that's top 10 year in and year out.

3 or 4 years down the road you may have wished you had taken the deal.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The BCS is just a name attached to the program, although it gives the proogram the ability to be elite, it does not mean it is. There are plenty of programs out there that are in BCS conferences that shouldn't even sniff the fact that they are BCS. Do you think Baylor, Indiana, or Vanderbilt are BCS caliber teams? No they are merely in a BCS conference. Are we a BCS caliber team, No we're in a BCS conference.

Those schools have signed deals to play elsewhere, including uneven deals and all three have also asserted a lot of capital in their programs the last 5 years, considerably more than the past.

There are two ways these days to raise the level of your program:

The Bowden Way -

1) Fresno State - Recently got 1 and 1's with Wisconsin, Oregon, and K-State...not to mention a possible 1 and 1 with USC. The best non-auto BCS program out there.

2) Texas Tech - yes, the scheduling is a joke now, but they took a lot of one way deals like Tennessee, Ohio State to improve the image of a terrible program

3) Cal - Another joke BCS program that took one shot deals with Michigan State and K-State. Had to sign 1 and 1's with many non BCS schools just to get games (New Mexico State, Utah, and Airforce)Still have a one game deal with Ohio State in 2012, however with their recent rise, they did get a 1 and 1 with Tennessee and with the 12 game added a 1 and 1 with Michigan State.

The "Miami" Way - Creampuff the hell out of your schedule and play 3 big games a year.

Kansas State - For years missed out on New Years Day Bowls because their schedule was constantly ranked at the bottom of the country. BCS even shunned them many times despite 10-2 records.

I am NOT saying drop our pants to any team out there and I am also not saying we won't get a 1 and 1 with a team other than Miami. However, just because we're BCS does NOT mean we're elite in other people's eyes. I think the Texas offer shows that these schools see us in that light.

Taking a couple 2 for 1s or one shot deals with these teams is not a bad idea to build a program.

1) Guarenteed Sellouts

2) Guarenteed Revenue

3) Guarenteed TV Time

4) If we win, guarenteed respect

5) Great recruiting point

Kansas, UNC, Illinois are all bottom feeders, they have signed deals to play 1 and 1's with non BCS schools too. If we want to push this program to the forefront whynot signed 1 or 2 of these deals. We have 5 OOC games to fill and playing lower echelon BCS teams only does so much.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

We all see where all those games UCF played against big time programs helped you guys. Wasnt that coach K's plan. Hmmm, that got you, 0h, oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh.

Hey, If you wanta be national champions one day, you gotta have one hell of a schedule and dominate in it.

When we hired GOL he said from day 1 he has no desire in making a program Top 25...he wants to develop a program that's top 10 year in and year out.

3 or 4 years down the road you may have wished you had taken the deal.