• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Vote On OCS By Board of Governors Today

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,522
  • Days Won:  25

Another issue we can't just use GPA because a lot students were given grades during covid for simply logging in and doing ZERO work.  It will take years to correct the issues with some students that you have to work to earn grades.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

6 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

1. Well, there are two tests... and in half the country, the other one is more popular.

2. And those same privileges help regardless whether a standardized test is required or not.

3. Perhaps LSAT, GMAT, MCAT and other graduate placement tests should also be abandoned an just use university performance and rankings for admittance into graduate, law, and medical schools?

1. Ok, for the two (now three?) tests to rule them all.

2. Agreed! Hence why we should consider student performance and school ranking rather than a standardized test score. IMO, If a poor student went to a crappy school with low resources but still showed the drive to outperform his/her peers and ranked highly in his/her class but got a low ACT/SAT score, they should have priority over some low or middle-of-the-pack student at a rich school whose parents were able to afford an SAT/ACT tutor to drill standardized content for the sake of a high score on a test.

I don't know, to me, personal drive is more important than socioeconomic privilege. Regardless, it's definitely not apples to apples.

3. I was discussing undergrad, not grad school. That's a different conversation.

3 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

1. Ok, for the two (now three?) tests to rule them all.

2. Agreed! Hence why we should consider student performance and school ranking rather than a standardized test score. IMO, If a poor student went to a crappy school with low resources but still showed the drive to outperform his/her peers and ranked highly in his/her class but got a low ACT/SAT score, they should have priority over some low or middle-of-the-pack student at a rich school whose parents were able to afford an SAT/ACT tutor to drill standardized content for the sake of a high score on a test.

I don't know, to me, personal drive is more important than socioeconomic privilege. Regardless, it's definitely not apples to apples.

3. I was discussing undergrad, not grad school. That's a different conversation.

What about kids just given free grade for a year and half because of covid? It spiked a lot of GPAS when the kids were testing performance was far below grade level?

I think all points are valid other than high school grades. College grades matter especially for applying for specialized degrees. I have heard from a few professors they had to pass students during covid and I know by experience they were passed in grades schools without doing any work with A's even.

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

10 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Another issue we can't just use GPA because a lot students were given grades during covid for simply logging in and doing ZERO work.  It will take years to correct the issues with some students that you have to work to earn grades.

Grade inflation is straight insanity in HS right now and it is the absolute worst at "good" schools. Standardized testing is incredibly flawed, but it is infinitely better than grades.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Grade inflation is straight insanity in HS right now and it is the absolute worst at "good" schools. Standardized testing is incredibly flawed, but it is infinitely better than grades.

I know and agree with you. So how do you determine what the students know other than a standardized test?

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  1

So when do the Board of Governors get together again and will our debt offering be in their agenda? The vote is largely considered a formality, but imagine we can only go so far with construction/prep without the official approval. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,080
  • Days Won:  39

This is a bummer.  Hmm.

• Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,991
  • Days Won:  12

back to the topic, yes I too would like to know what this means. @John Lewis?

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,136
  • Days Won:  56

So when does the Florida legislature hold its formal secession vote?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  686
  • Content Count:  7,648
  • Days Won:  6

Anyone else concerned the OCS approval was not on the agenda?  Forgive me if this is discussed somewhere else.