• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What do you guys think it would look like if we went Independent in all sports?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

17 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

We were a top 50 program  prior to the collapse of the big east and now we are rock bottom of fbs football. We lowered our standard by allowing lower ranked programs catch up and catapult USF. The program is two folds We failed to hire quality coaches and invest in athletics because Judy prioritized athletics. I think this conference is considerably worse than the big east and brought USF down but brought up lower ranking programs like ucf. The firing of Leavitt and the collapse of the big east started the downfall of USF football.

image.png

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

46 minutes ago, Brad said:

So not playing Top 25 ball in the Big East would have made us better than, help me out @Outlaw, 4-21 in C-USA 3.0 the last few years?

The last few years are irrelevant. Part of the argument with CJL's firing was that, if he was here, he very possibly could have dominated the AAC based on what he did in the BE. Playing off that, forget the one CUSA 1.0 year we did have, I think Jim could have very well dominated CUSA 1.5, eliminating any pressure on him from above and/or, more importantly, on himself. I'm sure he hated that coming back down to earth after such great starts to seasons. It was probably wearing on him and he was an emotional guy. Administration/donors shouldn't have had a problem with winning some conf championships and being in the thick of it for a whole season. Those brief highs in the BE were awesome but I don't think were worth what we had to ultimately pay for them with ... losing a great coach and a fan base built like a house of cards.

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,030
  • Days Won:  10

Going independent a decade ago would have been a terrible idea, and it would even be a worse idea today.

One reason would be that we would never win a conference championship. Now at least we have the hope of winning one. And who would even play us? It hasn't done much good for U Conn's football program. At least they get to play basketball in the Big East. Perhaps we could land in the A Sun for basketball and have rivalries with Stetson, North Florida, and the Jacksonvilles

No I firmly believe we are much better off in the AAC then going independent. We just need to suck it up and start winning in a conference where winning shouldn't be that hard.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

disaster

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,392
  • Days Won:  43

3 hours ago, smazza said:

disaster

I agree with you on this. USF just doesn’t have the strong brand sports name like a Notre Dame, Army, BYU or even UConn yet to even consider going independent. Right now, USF is in the AAC which will be competing for that top 6 rated conference spot starting in 2024. Things could be much worse 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,030
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, Bull Awakening said:

I agree with you on this. USF just doesn’t have the strong brand sports name like a Notre Dame, Army, BYU or even UConn yet to even consider going independent. Right now, USF is in the AAC which will be competing for that top 6 rated conference spot starting in 2024. Things could be much worse 

I agree, the AAC is hardly rock button. At worst its middle of the pack. At best its still the sixth best conference in the country.

My biggest worry about the AAC is not the AAC in its current form, but that it might lose more teams to expansion ( Memphis, SMU, Tulane) and that USF might not be one of those teams.

That's why we need a quick turn around in football.

Edited by belgianbull
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

7 hours ago, Bull Awakening said:

UConn worked because their football program isn't their flagship. They planted their other programs in the Big East and got back to their roots, playing more teams that their fans wanted to see in basketball etc. We don't have the brand name to be able to do that in any sport.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,392
  • Days Won:  43

13 hours ago, belgianbull said:

I agree, the AAC is hardly rock button. At worst its middle of the pack. At best its still the sixth best conference in the country.

My biggest worry about the AAC is not the AAC in its current form, but that it might lose more teams to expansion ( Memphis, SMU, Tulane) and that USF might not be one of those teams.

That's why we need a quick turn around in football.

Exactly. Also we can expect the big 12 to lose more teams once again. That is why I caution any talk of USF wanting to be in that mess. We went through that with the big east mess so no thanks to doing that again 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,253
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

Exactly. Also we can expect the big 12 to lose more teams once again. That is why I caution any talk of USF wanting to be in that mess. We went through that with the big east mess so no thanks to doing that again 

And what would you say we are currently going through? Again…

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,497
  • Days Won:  25

Just now, puc86 said:

And what would you say we are currently going through? Again…

We are the mess.