• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What do you guys think it would look like if we went Independent in all sports?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,520
  • Days Won:  3

I am just curious, since there have been a chunk of people who have expressed opinions in USF going independent.

Especially football in terms of scheduling? Recruiting? National Exposure?

can you go independent in basketball? I don’t follow basketball really.

My personal thoughts go straight to better away game scheduling. Travel costs would be down for the team. Like if we really hit the FL, GA, southeast region hard in terms of scheduling, that could only help with exposure in recruiting.

I also think the university could finally go back to the Under Armor jerseys instead of the Adidas jerseys we currently have. I think that the Adidas deal has gotten better in terms of design, but UA was great for us.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,360
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

I am just curious, since there have been a chunk of people who have expressed opinions in USF going independent.

Especially football in terms of scheduling? Recruiting? National Exposure?

can you go independent in basketball? I don’t follow basketball really.

My personal thoughts go straight to better away game scheduling. Travel costs would be down for the team. Like if we really hit the FL, GA, southeast region hard in terms of scheduling, that could only help with exposure in recruiting.

I also think the university could finally go back to the Under Armor jerseys instead of the Adidas jerseys we currently have. I think that the Adidas deal has gotten better in terms of design, but UA was great for us.

I prefer to start winning and moving up in power conference. I just don't know if that will ever happen again .

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,009
  • Days Won:  469

11 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

What do you guys think it would look like if we went Independent in all sports?

It would be way too late to consider.  We anchored to the AAC and underperformed.  We anchored ourselves to UCF and they moved on.

At the top of our performance (primarily football) with Leavitt it was a reasonable discussion for a BE cratering.  Now we need to survive however, wherever in terms of conference.  No brand value or awareness/attractiveness to venture in independent direction these days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

With the 12 team playoff that will guarantee a spot for the top 6 conference champions starting in 2024, I do believe going independent would be a disaster.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Days Won:  10

If we went independent in football; its not like the Big East would take us back for basketball like they did with U Conn.

Going independent for football would not make sense for our situation. Our best option is to win in the AAC, built the OCS, and move on to a better conference.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

2 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

If we went independent in football; its not like the Big East would take us back for basketball like they did with U Conn.

Going independent for football would not make sense for our situation. Our best option is to win in the AAC, built the OCS, and move on to a better conference.

Exactly! And that is the current plan 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,393
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Peatearpan said:

I don't care who makes our uniforms as long as its the one that makes the most financial sense. Hell roll them out there tutu skirts for all i care.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, Brad said:

We anchored to the AAC and underperformed.

We anchored to the AAC because we had no other choice and underperformed ..... and Independence is definitely not a viable option now.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

truck taking GIF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,009
  • Days Won:  469

22 minutes ago, Triple B said:

We anchored to the AAC because we had no other choice and underperformed ..... and Independence is definitely not a viable option now.

The question was about independence.  Had we had visionaries at the helm independence should have been a consideration.  We didn't, so the point is moot.  As for today, we're worse off than we were and independence is out of the question, we can agree on that.  Additionally, "no other choice" is often easier to accept (and to remove responsibility) than a choice or the requirement to create your choices.  We have only limited our choices since our days of success.

• Upvote 1