• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gregory Gone

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

1 minute ago, Dave_Glaser said:

The most awful of those hires might end up being Jolene. That program is flat out trash right now.

Sure... but the program has been a dumpster fire for twenty years.  It's not like Draper or Lessinger had that much success.  Shepardson did have some track record of turning programs around out west.... the team won more this year than last year.  Time will tell - and a non-revenue sport gets a little more leeway, right?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,885
  • Days Won:  67

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Sure... but the program has been a dumpster fire for twenty years.  It's not like Draper or Lessinger had that much success.  Shepardson did have some track record of turning programs around out west.... the team won more this year than last year.  Time will tell - and a non-revenue sport gets a little more leeway, right?

**** Jim, you are either a huge fan of Volleyball or a perv, either way props to you. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

**** Jim, you are either a huge fan of Volleyball or a perv, either way props to you. 

No, I just know how to use Google... but I didn't recall any big success in volleyball in a loooong time myself.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

Followed standard practice in extending Brian Gregory before his final season. 

Standard practice is not to do blanket contract extensions across the board for all sports under the pretense of stability.  I don't know another AD in the country that would do that.  Kelly may be a good fundraiser but he's woefully incompetent on the hiring, managing and development of his coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

22 hours ago, WWMJD said:

Heat should really be on Kelly now

batman-hey-freeze.gif

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

I think this next hire will say a lot about the priorities of the University and Athletics Department. It’s a chance for a fresh start for MBB. We have been told that they are taking it more serious now. We didn’t make a splash with the CFB coaching hire (may end up a great hire, but he’s unproven). I feel like talent is crucial for MBB and if we don’t get a marquee coaching hire, we will be dead in the water. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

8 minutes ago, michibull said:

if we don’t get a marquee coaching hire, we will be dead in the water. 

So basically the same.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,832
  • Days Won:  22

4 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

I coached volleyball for 15 years, so I follow the volleyball team. USF used to be good in past then it hit a wall and the most recent coaches didn’t work out. I do think they have improved under current coach, it will be interesting to see if that continues.

But I do agree as a non revenue sport most won’t care and it won’t be a sport that gets USF to higher levels and by the way that includes baseball, Women’s Basketball but that doesn’t mean we can’t and or we shouldn’t support and expect them to be success

As for basketball. Go after Frank Martin 

3 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Standard practice is not to do blanket contract extensions across the board for all sports under the pretense of stability.  I don't know another AD in the country that would do that.  Kelly may be a good fundraiser but he's woefully incompetent on the hiring, managing and development of his coaching staff.

Except.... that is not what Michael Kelly did.  He extended Scott, Gregory, Fernandez, and Schilte-Brown.  Four coaches out of 15 got extensions... and I think only Scott wads "early" in his contract.

And why do you think ADs are supposed to develop coaches' abilities?  That seems to be an unrealistic expectation... he should be managing coaches that develop themselves and their teams, sure... but Kelly isn't an expert on 15 sports to provide guidance on what they're doing right or wrong.  If a coach can't figure out what is wrong, then Kelly needs to fire them ... and ... HE DID.

• Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,492

2 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Except.... that is not what Michael Kelly did.  He extended Scott, Gregory, Fernandez, and Schilte-Brown.  Four coaches out of 15 got extensions... and I think only Scott wads "early" in his contract.

And why do you think ADs are supposed to develop coaches' abilities?  That seems to be an unrealistic expectation... he should be managing coaches that develop themselves and their teams, sure... but Kelly isn't an expert on 15 sports to provide guidance on what they're doing right or wrong.  If a coach can't figure out what is wrong, then Kelly needs to fire them ... and ... HE DID.

Speaking of Scott, can you give me any reasonable explanation why anyone would have extended him?