• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gregory Gone

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,835
  • Content Count:  5,483
  • Days Won:  13

Just now, flsportsfan83 said:

Speaking of Scott, can you give me any reasonable explanation why anyone would have extended him?

Yes.  Jeff Soctt made a significant amount of progress doing things off the field that would be needed to progress the OCS... so his contract was extended through the first season in the OCS.

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,689
  • Days Won:  424

14 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Not all coaching hires are weighted equally. The ones that pay bills have been awful.

What MK's done in other areas "to pay the bills" has outweighed the coaching decisions at this point ..... obviously there will come a time in the future to reassess that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Friscobull said:

**** Jim, you are either a huge fan of Volleyball or a perv, either way props to you. 

Those aren't mutually exclusive ....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Standard practice is not to do blanket contract extensions across the board for all sports under the pretense of stability

I sincerely doubt that MK does that if the circumstances the last 3 years had been "standard". Obviously he was the only one to do it that we know of, so blast him for that if you like, but you also can't just pretend  the college sports environment was normal/standard during that time ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  12,606
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

Yes.  Jeff Soctt made a significant amount of progress doing things off the field that would be needed to progress the OCS... so his contract was extended through the first season in the OCS.

He was the worst FBS coach  in my lifetime I have seen at anything that mattered on the field.  His only accomplished was he beat Temple and got their coach fired. They fired the coach and embarrassed  USF the next year. He helped Temple more than he helped USF. Coaches are not judged about what nonsense they do fund raise off the field. He cost USF money by losing and nose diving the team to rock bottom. NEVER REAWARD coaches with one fbs win with an extension. LESSON LEARNED. You are what your record says you are and we all know how bad CJS was at being a head coach. Stop praising the guy for failure.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

What MK's done in other areas "to pay the bills" has outweighed the coaching decisions at this point ..... obviously there will come a time in the future to reassess that.

It would be hard to grade Kelly right now. Scott was a horrible hire, but that's in hindsight. Many, if not most, at the time saw the hire as a good one. It didn't work out but he was fired at the exact right time. Really could not have fired Scott earlier then he did. When it comes to Gregory I firmly believe he should have been fired last year, but he is gone now too. As to the extensions, both coaches are gone ; so I really don't care about that anymore.

Kelly deserves credit for the indoor practice facility, and the OCS. However, Kelly's faith will be decided by Coach Golesh and our next men's basketball coach, and whether they can turn around those respective programs. He really needs to get our next basketball hire right though. For me personally I will reserve judgment Kelly for about two more years. If we are still a dumpster fire in two years then I will be fully on board with firing Kelly.  Lets hope that two years from now we will be in a much better situation then we are now. I think we will be.

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,912
  • Days Won:  67

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Jim, for anyone to defend the selection or CJS’s performance is out in left field.  I have never witnessed a more unsuccessful stint by a more incompetent coach in my lifetime and doubt I ever will.  His daddy was a lousy coach and Jeff was way worse.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,066
  • Days Won:  469

20 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Scott was a horrible hire, but that's in hindsight. Many, if not most, at the time saw the hire as a good one.

We have to expect/get better out of a highly compensated decision maker than for him to make the same mistake many fans did.  

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

He was the worst FBS coach  in my lifetime I have seen at anything that mattered on the field.  His only accomplished was he beat Temple and got their coach fired. They fired the coach and embarrassed  USF the next year. He helped Temple more than he helped USF. Coaches are not judged about what nonsense they do fund raise off the field. He cost USF money by losing and nose diving the team to rock bottom. NEVER REAWARD coaches with one fbs win with an extension. LESSON LEARNED. You are what your record says you are and we all know how bad CJS was at being a head coach. Stop praising the guy for failure.

15 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Jim, for anyone to defend the selection or CJS’s performance is out in left field.  I have never witnessed a more unsuccessful stint by a more incompetent coach in my lifetime and doubt I ever will.  His daddy was a lousy coach and Jeff was way worse.  

@flsportsfan83 asked for a reasonable explanation why he would be extended.  Between his tremendous success off the field and the significant impact of the pandemic on the team, it was reasonable why in January of 2022 to see an extension.

His (complete lack of) performance on the field is why he had the shortest tenure of any USF coach.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Brad said:

We have to expect/get better out of a highly compensated decision maker than for him to make the same mistake many fans did.  

I am not sure that significant compensation makes him any more clairvoyant than anyone else.  If anything, he might have more realistic expectations for, or at the very least a more complete understanding of, USF's athletic program than many fans do.