• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gregory Gone

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

We have to expect/get better out of a highly compensated decision maker than for him to make the same mistake many fans did.  

I fully agree with that, but I believe he deserves a second bite at the apple. We still don't know whether the appointment of Scott was bad luck or bad decision making on Kelly's part. It kind of reminds me of Holtz. Even though he ended up being a bad hire for us no one will ever convince me that at the time that he wasn't  a common sense hire. Sometimes these things don't work out.

Now if Golesh and our basketball hire don't work out then you will have a full body of work, and it will be easier to assess Kelly's decision making.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

3 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Except.... that is not what Michael Kelly did.  He extended Scott, Gregory, Fernandez, and Schilte-Brown.  Four coaches out of 15 got extensions... and I think only Scott wads "early" in his contract.

And why do you think ADs are supposed to develop coaches' abilities?  That seems to be an unrealistic expectation... he should be managing coaches that develop themselves and their teams, sure... but Kelly isn't an expert on 15 sports to provide guidance on what they're doing right or wrong.  If a coach can't figure out what is wrong, then Kelly needs to fire them ... and ... HE DID.

So far Kelly has shown to have no eye for coaching talent.  Perhaps time will tell but as of right now his track record is not looking too good.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,482
  • Days Won:  13

2 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

So far Kelly has shown to have no eye for coaching talent.  Perhaps time will tell but as of right now his track record is not looking too good.

One thing we may not want to consider is the fact that there are coaches, potentially better coaches, who don't want to come to USF.  We don't know (and we'll never know) that any of his hires were actually his first choice.

Are you basing his "eye for coaching talent" on his first ever hire (Jeff Scott)?  I mean... his track and field coach is doing fairly well this season.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I base his “eye for coaching talent” on the revenue sports.  He hired Jeff Scott, extended Jeff Scott and then fired Jeff Scott after 3 years.  Let’s see what Golesh does  He didn’t hire Gregory but he decided Gregory was worth with a contract extension and now he fired him one year after the extension.  To me, that’s not a great track record.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

One thing we may not want to consider is the fact that there are coaches, potentially better coaches, who don't want to come to USF.  We don't know (and we'll never know) that any of his hires were actually his first choice.

Are you basing his "eye for coaching talent" on his first ever hire (Jeff Scott)?  I mean... his track and field coach is doing fairly well this season.

It is Kelly's job though to be a sales person for USF athletics. Part of that job is convince potential coaches that USF is a great destination.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,482
  • Days Won:  13

Just now, belgianbull said:

It is Kelly's job though to be a sales person for USF athletics. Part of that job is convince potential coaches that USF is a great destination.

Lipstick on a pig, eh?

I keed. I keed.

However, one thing we know... many USF fans on the interwebs have an overinflated idea of just how great a destination it is at the moment.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,064
  • Days Won:  469

42 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I am not sure that significant compensation makes him any more clairvoyant than anyone else.  If anything, he might have more realistic expectations for, or at the very least a more complete understanding of, USF's athletic program than many fans do.

I didn’t say it aided his clairvoyance.  

Like Gregory, he has a job to do.  His whiffs can’t be explained by saying everyone thought Scott would be better.  

The fact many of us could be under .500 coaching USF MBB doesn’t excuse Gregory for being under .500.

For Kelly it’s the same.  If the AD has nothing to do with hiring coaches to lead successful programs, let’s not have one.

The significant compensation is to illustrate the juxtaposition to the other people wrong on Scott and their role in hiring head coaches.

26 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

One thing we may not want to consider is the fact that there are coaches, potentially better coaches, who don't want to come to USF. 

Well, now you’re bringing his predecessors in to the discussion.  :roflmao:

Side note.  No time wasted.  Wichita State fired their 48-34 coach. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,911
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

@flsportsfan83 asked for a reasonable explanation why he would be extended.  Between his tremendous success off the field and the significant impact of the pandemic on the team, it was reasonable why in January of 2022 to see an extension.

His (complete lack of) performance on the field is why he had the shortest tenure of any USF coach.

Tremendous success off the field? I only saw photos of his kids, 10 cent Dixie BS and a lack of preparation. He is a clown, nice guy sure, hell pay me 5 million to fail, I can do that with half that amount.  He was the final nail  in destroying our chances of being relevant and you guys want to make excuses for him because he is a nice guy, **** him, he is a bum. 

• Upvote 1